Optimal food and how much to feed Apocyclops Culture?

abossi2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I am taking another attempt at culturing pods (previous attempt crashed after a month or so - I believe due to overfeeding). I am planning to do two separate 1 gallon plastic jugs this time with Apocyclops in each. I am using a small sponge filter and just keeping them at normal room temperature (72ish). My question is - what is the best food source and how much to feed? Phyto, Reef Roids, both, etc.? How much to feed and how often?

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
I am taking another attempt at culturing pods (previous attempt crashed after a month or so - I believe due to overfeeding). I am planning to do two separate 1 gallon plastic jugs this time with Apocyclops in each. I am using a small sponge filter and just keeping them at normal room temperature (72ish). My question is - what is the best food source and how much to feed? Phyto, Reef Roids, both, etc.? How much to feed and how often?
Our RGcomplete is a great food source for them. If you can only get your hands on Phyto-Feast, that works, too. We feed all of our copepods phytoplankton; it's the best food for them in our experience.

Make sure to run the sponge filters at a very low bubble rate: they tend to remove the phytoplankton from the water column if run too high.

Chad

LordofCinder

View Badges
Reaction score
I just add a little phyto that I culture myself, just enough to turn the water cloudy, but still able to see through to the other side of the container. I also dont use filters on my pod cultures (I have 4 x 5 gallon tanks right now), just an airline tube and thats it. I fill the tank about half way, then every week add some salt water (to dilute the raising ammonia). Filters complicates it, and if you have several cultures going at once then you have deal with several filters. I just harvest every 3-4 weeks, completely clean the tank, and start over. I've even experimented, I swear that less than 10 pods will completely fill a 5 gallon tank in one month. its super easy, I've never crashed a culture before. Good luck

How important is sand sifting or sand stirring livestock to your reef tank?

• Very important

Votes: 255 45.1%
  • Somewhat important

Votes: 179 31.7%
  • Not important

Votes: 74 13.1%
  • Not sure

Votes: 50 8.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 1.2%
noopsyche