Optimal lighting for a macro shorelines style reef tank.

busyworks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to find the best lighting solution for a Macro Shorelines style tank that also has many softies, LPS, and anemones. What has worked for you?

I have been inspired by Julian Sprung, and other popular Macro algae dominated tanks all over the web. I've seen people using high end freshwater lights, and some using reef lights supplemented by grow panels.

Has anyone messed with a freshwater light such as a Chihiros, or Twinstar paired with something like T5s or Reef Brite strips, sort of mimicking a saltwater hybrid set up?

I was considering the Kessil A360x tuna sun with the XHO360X add-on kit for my Aquamaxx 17 gallon cube tank.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to find the best lighting solution for a Macro Shorelines style tank that also has many softies, LPS, and anemones. What has worked for you?

I have been inspired by Julian Sprung, and other popular Macro algae dominated tanks all over the web. I've seen people using high end freshwater lights, and some using reef lights supplemented by grow panels.

Has anyone messed with a freshwater light such as a Chihiros, or Twinstar paired with something like T5s or Reef Brite strips, sort of mimicking a saltwater hybrid set up?

I was considering the Kessil A360x tuna sun with the XHO360X add-on kit for my Aquamaxx 17 gallon cube tank.

Some planted tank lights do have actinic modes, but reef lights have 2 to 3 colors within the actinic range as opposed to one, which brings out more colors in the coral. For a mixed tank like you are describing, I would go with a reef light with the white channel turned up a bit for a good part of the day

I'm still learning when it comes to macro algae as some of the most ornamental ones are extremely slow growing, but I have confirmed that blue dominant spectrum reef lighting is not ideal for many types, particularly the red ones. They stay healthy looking , but dont grow. I'm using a low end planted tank light in one tank and its actually too much for the macro and bleaching out the color. Its a Nicrew Sky LED plus. I may actually need to turn it down a bit. I don't think this flame algae likes the high light the nems require. Its a balancing game. This particular algae gets deep red under low light and looks best under reef lights, but seems to grow better under bright white, but loses the deep red color. You need to play around with the white/blue balance depending on what you are growing.

Here's a pic of my Nicrew planted tank light in both modes with a BTA. This is a Arizona sunburst and looks better under a regular reef light. The third picture is a tank with the exact same algae growing under a generic reef light with a similar output to the Kessil reef lights. Better looking , but Im not sure if its growing

20210725_172054.jpg 20210725_172607.jpg 20210725_175227.jpg

Bar vs point light source:
I am starting to regret the bar light for a mixed tank like this mainly because corals, nems and macros may not do well under the same lighting. A point light source will create a gradient and you can put the more sensitive macros to the sides and back. Put your LPS high in the center and your nems should hang out to the side of the rock if the lighting is good.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what your criteria determines best. I personally like 10K-12K spectrum for display purposes.
when it comes to light intensity, I prefer less than more.

with respect to macro visual response to light intensity, consider Bortacladia, Red Grapes. It is collected in 40’-120’. When I get it from the divers, it is a dark rich burgundy and if shocked with too much light, it will loose flotation balls and melt away. As light intensity increases, it will change from burgundy to fire engine red. Under intense light it will appear yellow Orange which is not so attractiv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 47

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What's the dimensions on that tank?

If you really want something that mimics natural lighting, T5 with some 6500k bulb, or a 150w metal halide would work. With the t5, if you have 4 bulbs, something like actinic/6500k/10k/actinic would give a "whiter" look with the 6500k softening the look a little bit.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what your criteria determines best. I personally like 10K-12K spectrum for display purposes.
when it comes to light intensity, I prefer less than more.

with respect to macro visual response to light intensity, consider Bortacladia, Red Grapes. It is collected in 40’-120’. When I get it from the divers, it is a dark rich burgundy and if shocked with too much light, it will loose flotation balls and melt away. As light intensity increases, it will change from burgundy to fire engine red. Under intense light it will appear yellow Orange which is not so attractiv.

Have you been able to find a happy medium PAR at all where anemones or LPS will get enough light, but the macros wont bleach? I love the burgundy color the Gracilaria "flame" algae takes on in lower light, but it doesnt seem to grow that way. I think the OP is in a similar situation but adding LPS to the mix.

Last edited:

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After playing around with bar lighting I realized something was missing. Shimmer effect. No lagoon/shoreline style tank is complete without it IMO. Bar lights are not great for this. Just another thing to consider for a macro tank. I'm working on revitalizing my 20 long after my SLF crab demolished my macros and will be putting a white light at one end and blue dominant spectrum at the other. Rather than mixing it up, it will sort of transition from reef at on end to lagoon at the other.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 137 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%

Back