options for new coral with aiptasia

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking to pick up a coral that been on my dream list for a few years. form a not so local FLS about 2 hrs each way.
the coral is prices good really fair really but I see in the pic what looks like to be aiptasia on one side of the coral.

the coral will go in my RFA neno tank for a few months while I fish reno and set up the big peninsula so maybe 4 months.
i dont want to have an outbreak in either tank.

thoughts and options...

U

User1

View Badges
Some will suggest dipping or manual removing. Kalk paste is another option or even epoxy over it. My concern with aiptasia are the spores that you don't see. If you don't have it in your tank and don't want it, don't buy the coral.

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always try and cut off the part of the rock that has aiptasia, but it might not be worth the risk. If you don't mind, what coral is it?

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I about to move so no QT set up( i know... I know ) once in the new place in a few months i'll have room in the basement for a QT system.
no criticism from me on no QT. I was meaning a 10g quick setup just so the nudi's could do their work.

Bizzy bee reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking to pick up a coral that been on my dream list for a few years. form a not so local FLS about 2 hrs each way.
the coral is prices good really fair really but I see in the pic what looks like to be aiptasia on one side of the coral.

the coral will go in my RFA neno tank for a few months while I fish reno and set up the big peninsula so maybe 4 months.
i dont want to have an outbreak in either tank.

thoughts and options...
I got a peppermint shrimp and it seems to work

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two pop up in my 20G nano a few weeks ago from a frag I picked up from a local (I didn’t dip it very good :() anyways I super glued over it and nothing has popped up anywhere else so fingers crossed.

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck with aiptasia-x, but some people have not

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a good chance tht they could sting that coral , If you could wait it out a bit longer and find one that doesnt have aptasia I would suggest that. it sounds like it may be the "decision" that has the most impact on your tank. Its funny how life challenges us with those type situations . Murphey working OT again.

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I about to move so no QT set up( i know... I know ) once in the new place in a few months i'll have room in the basement for a QT system.
I would just wait till after the move. I would never buy a coral with visible pests on it if I'm forgoing QT.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it on the actual coral? Or the frag plug? Or? A pic would help

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back