Options to buy 120G aquarium

aruns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers, I am finally ready to take the plunge into SW (I have kept Cichlids before) and am looking to buy a 120 gallon standard 4x2x2 aquarium.

I am looking at both local and online options. Anyone have any good suggestions?

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers, I am finally ready to take the plunge into SW (I have kept Cichlids before) and am looking to buy a 120 gallon standard 4x2x2 aquarium.

I am looking at both local and online options. Anyone have any good suggestions?

I am pretty happy about my SC Aquarium. The low iron isn't really starfire quality (if you care about that), but they custom drilled mine for a shadow overflow for no additional cost. If you buy stock size with a stock overflow, shipping is pretty quick. Otherwise it takes a while to get it manufactured, but for custom it isn't bad at all.

OP
OP
A

aruns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jon! I have contacted SCA and asked for a quote. cheers.

Benoit Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty happy about my SC Aquarium. The low iron isn't really starfire quality (if you care about that), but they custom drilled mine for a shadow overflow for no additional cost. If you buy stock size with a stock overflow, shipping is pretty quick. Otherwise it takes a while to get it manufactured, but for custom it isn't bad at all.

This is very disapointing. I am planning my first sw build and I was going to go with the SCA 120G because of the price point and the starfire glass. I understand that you get what you pay for but their site says it's starfire glass which I assumed was somewhat of a clarity guarantee.

How much lower is the quality? Is it really noticeable? Is it still worth paying the extra for starfire or should I just save some money and go with regular glass?

WallysWorld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up Red Sea Reefer 170, after being out of the hobby for 30 years. Although I had a marine tank for 7 years, since so much has changed in the last 30 years, that its all new to me!

I split my order(s) between Bulk Reef Supply (bulkreefsupply.com) and Amazon. The tank and skimmer from BRS, most of the other equipment was cheaper on Amazon. The dry rock from Amazon was very surprising....much better than anything I've seen at any LFS, I'm very happy with it.

It's been well over a month since I made my purchases. I've had water in the tank for a little over 2 weeks, still cycling. I've learned a lot in this process. I had significant space limitations which pushed me to the Reefer 170, don't regret it, tank and stand is excellent, but not a "budget" purchase by any means. I'd definitely recommend Red Sea. From the marketing material I've seen I'd also take a hard look at Waterbox Aquariums as well. They really seem to be going after Red Sea.
APC_0101.JPG

This is my tank shortly after filling it. Stuff is a lot greener now.
APC_0101.JPG
APC_0101.JPG

Back