ORA Aptasia Eating Filefish - ownership experience?

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really interested in purchasing an ORA captive bred aptasia eating filefish to help control and because they’re pretty neat. I’m wondering if the captive bred ones are more or less likely to snack or corals or go for aptasia, as the threads I have found have been wild caught specimens.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really interested in purchasing an ORA captive bred aptasia eating filefish to help control and because they’re pretty neat. I’m wondering if the captive bred ones are more or less likely to snack or corals or go for aptasia, as the threads I have found have been wild caught specimens.

They'll eat aiptasia like champs. Then they'll go after corals, just like the wild-caught ones. The main difference is that the captive-bred fishes recognize aiptasia as food immediately and will consume it pretty much immediately. Mine ate all the aiptasia in the tank and then picked at enough corals to kill about a dozen frags before I realized who the culprit was. It was the first fish I ever took back to the LFS.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back