ORA Aquacultured Gigas Clams - Now Available!

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
We received our gigas clam from Liveaquaria two days ago. It arrived in rather rough conditions. It measures 2.75”. We asked unique color, bluish or purplish mantle with more spots. We thought ORA has all same color of mantles, gold. We were shocked when she opened. I would say its mantle is purplish brown.

561E9041-09AD-4A75-AC1E-E6B6E48BDA91.jpeg
Wow, I wish i had thought of that also. Truthfully, i thought it unusual so far that I had seen no color variation. That was a great thought to ask for that. My guy got six in, and sent me the pictures to select from. all golden yellow with blue dots.

Bluemoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Wow, I wish i had thought of that also. Truthfully, i thought it unusual so far that I had seen no color variation. That was a great thought to ask for that. My guy got six in, and sent me the pictures to select from. all golden yellow with blue dots.

That’s what I thought that all are golden colored. That’s what ORA pictures show. My guess is they had a few unique colored ones but not enough of them to sell them as “blue or purple”. We actually have two gigas clams and the other one in normal golden color with a moderate amount of blue dots.

I’m glad they are back on the market after 10 years. Any gigas no matter the color is a blessing :) I’m glad you got one hard to say how many gigas clams ORA produced.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Try taking a pic through a pair of sunglasses. It makes the pics come out much better.

Bluemoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip I’ll try that. I’m using a iPhone 7 Plus it normally takes great pictures.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
How is the survival rate so far for those who bought? I have enough space to swing two of these for a decade and would like to replace the beast I had 12-13 years ago. I’m very hesitant though as I have heard absolutely nothing good about live aquaria clams.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
How is the survival rate so far for those who bought? I have enough space to swing two of these for a decade and would like to replace the beast I had 12-13 years ago. I’m very hesitant though as I have heard absolutely nothing good about live aquaria clams.

Keep in mind these are not LA clams. There are shipped directly from ORA. LA is only the ordering system. Now Divers Den does offer Ora clams and when the clams have been in DD system is where the bad experiences are.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Good point, I’m very close to ORA as well. I could drive there however it’s very frowned upon. Ill call my local guy here in Tampa

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Not sure if these are coming straight from ORA. My LFS got them in a Quality Marine order. Regardless, as long as they aren’t coming from Divers Den I think they should be fine. Only been a few days, but mine is looking better every day.

My LFS said he was told they were probably going to get multiple sizes at some point. He said they mentioned up to 6” specimens. Not sure if that will end up being the case for a while though since the demand seems to be so high.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Not sure if these are coming straight from ORA. My LFS got them in a Quality Marine order. Regardless, as long as they aren’t coming from Divers Den I think they should be fine. Only been a few days, but mine is looking better every day.

My LFS said he was told they were probably going to get multiple sizes at some point. He said they mentioned up to 6” specimens. Not sure if that will end up being the case for a while though since the demand seems to be so high.

It’s possible QM got some to resell. I was saying if you order direct from Ora section of LA. But if you order off LA ORA site it ships from ORA In Florida. I have done several clam and coral orders from ORA and the boxes were all from ora. I even talked with Ora about an order for me they were filling that I placed via LA’s Ora section a while back.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Wild collect clams sometime can be difficult. Also some shipper of wild collected clams, due to how they keep can result in clams with disease.
QT clams well, especially wild ones or you will be sorry.

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm excited as mine should be here on Tues! I had a 18"+ gigas many years ago and miss it.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
I am not sure if demand is actually high. There is no reason why they don't import it in the future, just as there is no reason why they did not import it for 15 years. After the novelty of it wears off, I think it will be a rare import. Just size alone will eliminated a lot of reefers. I am sure there will be a lot of the larger size for sale in a few years (if they can keep the clam alive) when the Gigas outgrow the tank. Mine used to grow 1/4 inch, in shell growth, a month. That is 1/2 inch growth a month.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back