ORA Aquacultured Gigas Clams - Now Available!

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
I had a 4 inch Gigas grow to 18 inches. 13 years ago I gave it away when I moved. It was 5 inches below the water surface and a 250 watt MH was directly over it suspended 6 inches above the water surface. The light was so close the clam broke several bulbs spitting water. That said, I am slowly acclimating the new baby to my LEDs. The baby clam is on the tank bottom away from direct light. I will slowly acclimate to the Ecotech 30s. I have seen a Gigas with mantle burns from too bright of light too soon.

Day 2
IMG_1316.JPG

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Is this a clam that should be put on a rock to attach? I am definitely grabbing one. Not sure what I am going to do when it outgrows everything. Guess I will deal with it then.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
You sure get the blue to pop nice and on the rim. Idk if mine has blue rim at all. Dang it.

He is still parked under around 300-350 par under orpheks and hasn’t shown and issues with the light yet. FWIW the peak is 100 blue 2 channels, 80% whites then tapers more blue.

I don’t think you need rock but it will want to attach to something until gets some size.

Fiesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Dang it u guys made me order one!!! I have lots of other vlams and always wanted a Gigas. I should get tomorrow morning. Going to have to move some things around but im sure it will be worth it. :)

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Scott,
Your clam is beautiful. I got mine today. I had an extra full day today so I put him in my office tank. I will bring him home over the weekend. I only have phone pics of mine. I bring my DSLR to work tomorrow to get pictures of him.

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Scott,
Your clam is beautiful. I got mine today. I had an extra full day today so I put him in my office tank. I will bring him home over the weekend. I only have phone pics of mine. I bring my DSLR to work tomorrow to get pictures of him.

Thanks! Glad you bought one Mihn!!! Post pics!

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Is this a clam that should be put on a rock to attach? I am definitely grabbing one. Not sure what I am going to do when it outgrows everything. Guess I will deal with it then.
At this size they will still attach just because they are still juveniles. Normally they are on tidal flats so they need to anchor themselves in place until they put on enough size so that their body mass will hold them in place. At that point they will release. They are the fastest growing of all the clams so, hopefully not too long.

RobMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
I’m also getting one today. I post in the grow out thread too.

For what it is worth, when I have seen gigas in the wild, they were only in very shallow water - 6 feet or less (small island in northern Makassar strait). Regarding other clam species, I have seen many hundreds of both maxima and crocea in very shallow water with both being exposed at low tide for several hours per day (northern Sulawesi).

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Not great picture …..

IMG_2159.jpg

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Yep, I will post them. He just emailed me. They just arrived, but he is not comfortable shipping till next week. I get that, and kind of appreciate it but getting them by Saturday is out.

Back