ORA Aquacultured Gigas Clams - Now Available!

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I am not sure if demand is actually high. There is no reason why they don't import it in the future, just as there is no reason why they did not import it for 15 years. After the novelty of it wears off, I think it will be a rare import. Just size alone will eliminated a lot of reefers. I am sure there will be a lot of the larger size for sale in a few years (if they can keep the clam alive) when the Gigas outgrow the tank. Mine used to grow 1/4 inch, in shell growth, a month. That is 1/2 inch growth a month.

Yea it was a good strategy for them to do one batch to satisfy the demand that built up and get premium price and then only trickle them in after this.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I am not sure if demand is actually high. There is no reason why they don't import it in the future, just as there is no reason why they did not import it for 15 years. After the novelty of it wears off, I think it will be a rare import. Just size alone will eliminated a lot of reefers. I am sure there will be a lot of the larger size for sale in a few years (if they can keep the clam alive) when the Gigas outgrow the tank. Mine used to grow 1/4 inch, in shell growth, a month. That is 1/2 inch growth a month.

At least high demand initially for sure. I would expect the first few batches will sell out fast. I agree though it will wear off somewhat though but I do think people will keep buying them whether or not they can house them in the long run or not just like they do with a lot of aquarium fish. Should be some good deals on some big ones in a few years.

Willragan

View Badges
Reaction score
I got one too definitely not much to look at now but will be dope down the road. I'm sure that's all been said.

20190715_044612.jpg

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I would assume they are also using aquaculture to restock wild populations as these are a very popular trinket and food item. I think I read somewhere that we get the best colored ones while the rest go to the sea and then market. If that’s the case these should be here to stay. Also as stated above, if you are doing thing right, these guys grow at an astonishing rate. My last one easily put on 3-4” of shell per year. For those getting one for the first time, have a game plan for ludicrous amounts of calcium an Alk supplementation. I currently have 2 18” clams and a run a dual chamber calcium reactor full bore, kalk ATO and a stupid amount of 2 part just to keep up.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I would assume they are also using aquaculture to restock wild populations as these are a very popular trinket and food item. I think I read somewhere that we get the best colored ones while the rest go to the sea and then market. If that’s the case these should be here to stay. Also as stated above, if you are doing thing right, these guys grow at an astonishing rate. My last one easily put on 3-4” of shell per year. For those getting one for the first time, have a game plan for ludicrous amounts of calcium an Alk supplementation. I currently have 2 18” clams and a run a dual chamber calcium reactor full bore, kalk ATO and a stupid amount of 2 part just to keep up.
I heard the same thing, but I don’t know if it’s true since it was like 15 years since we had them imported so something doesn’t quite make sense if they were growing them that much but yet none made their way into the hobby and not just US but I don’t remember hearing about any at all worldwide (in the hobby) for a long time.

Last edited:

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
I don't think demand will drop off. Has anyone heard of anyone having trouble reselling a clam because it was too big? They might never reach demand levels of the other Tridacna's, especially if survival is low and the price stays this high. But I think everyone with a large enough tank is going to want one.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I think your right, enough people will kill these off that demand will be all day if for no other reason than to say “hey look what I have.” I truly think though, the number of clams in the hobby above 12” is exceedingly small and those that have them have committed their system to keeping them. I upgraded systems solely to house my beasts.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

Yea it was a good strategy for them to do one batch to satisfy the demand that built up and get premium price and then only trickle them in after this.

I also don't think demand is terribly high. Sure, there are a bunch of folks interested in them, but 10 years of pent up demand is what we are seeing. I suspect that these will remain a niche item. We'll see them for a bit until demand dies down, then get periodic releases.

I'd read the same thing. I'm currently running a calcium reactor and plan on making a DIY reactor from some 4" PVC I've got laying around once demand starts picking up. They aren't rocket science and I think I'd enjoy setting it up.

I don't think demand will drop off. Has anyone heard of anyone having trouble reselling a clam because it was too big? They might never reach demand levels of the other Tridacna's, especially if survival is low and the price stays this high. But I think everyone with a large enough tank is going to want one.

Selling large clams can be quite difficult because once they get bit, say over 10" or so, not many tanks can fit the clam and the rest of the things people want in their reef.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
My second Gigas come in cold from the cold pack. I am not sure he will make it. Will see.

I don’t like that they use cold packs. The packages are moving at night for the most part so not in the heat of midday.I have shipped a ton of animals and never once used a cold pack. Never had a problem either .

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Well i have pics of two of mine. He said because of the hurricane nothing is going out until later in the week so I set up for Fedex Saturday Home Delivery. Should arrive by 10AM. There is a another Gigas but I don't have a good picture. The Gigas is small, 2.5 in and the Squamosa is 6" (great pic).

Blue Squamosa (Sold).JPG

Gigas (Sold - Jeff).jpg

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Austin Aqua Farms. He has 2 more the same size, one a totally different pattern (already have one like it) and one similar.
Thanks! Just ordered a 6" one off the site!

Last edited:

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Just received my gigas clam from ORA. Let's just say if this clam wasn't a gigas, I'd be very disappointed lol.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Just received my gigas clam from ORA. Let's just say if this clam wasn't a gigas, I'd be very disappointed lol.

Lol. Yea. They aren’t all that impressive at this point. I think they will get better looking as they grow though.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back