ORA Aquacultured Gigas Clams - Now Available!

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Austin Aqua farm has a Gigas that looks a little different than most of anyone is looking

D381A23E-A9D9-4BD5-A921-B2A9CD69A42D.jpeg

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Those were nice. I was tempted too but I'm gonna have a lot of clam on hands the way it is. So to speak, lol

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Just scored one from my store in Tampa. 4 left and they’re only charging $150!

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Aqua Austin Farms rocks! The packaging on this huge 6" blue squammy was impeccable.

F6303672-D587-4930-BBF6-80BD95DF5D8B.jpeg

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Wow that is an amazing clam. WIsh I got picked one up before I got stocked up, although I do find it funny we are posting about another vendor in LA's thread, lol.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Back to ORA T. gigas from LA. this is the two Gigas I got from LA. The first was great perfect right away. The second was cold on arrival due to cold pack. He is better, but not in great shape. He is still discharge Zooxanthellea. This is difficult to see in the picture, but it is the dark line out from the efferent opening. Mantel was retracted a little but now have spread to and over the shell this AM. I snapped this picture with my cell phone right before I went to work this AM.
Hope he continue to improve,
8675ca36-76e4-48c9-8df5-bd45618b1aca-jpeg.1134830

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Back to ORA T. gigas from LA. this is the two Gigas I got from LA. The first was great perfect right away. The second was cold on arrival due to cold pack. He is better, but not in great shape. He is still discharge Zooxanthellea. This is difficult to see in the picture, but it is the dark line out from the efferent opening. Mantel was retracted a little but now have spread to and over the shell this AM. I snapped this picture with my cell phone right before I went to work this AM.
Hope he continue to improve,
8675ca36-76e4-48c9-8df5-bd45618b1aca-jpeg.1134830

Hopefully it comes around. I wish they didn’t use cold packs. The packages are in transit in the late afternoon and overnight for the most part when temps are pretty mild. Then they are delivered (unless there is a shipping problem) before the heat of the next day comes on. I haven’t shipped as much as LA obviously but I’ve sent at least a couple hundred live animal packages and have never had an issue with anything overheating during shipping.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
My Calcum and alkalinity is optimal and my Gigas I put in the sump on 7/9/19 PM already grow about 1.5 mm of shell growth by this evening.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Mine continue to improve and is doing better. The mantel of the newer Gigas (Gigas #2) extended past the shell in all part this AM. Not as much as the on that was in my tank 1 week longer (Gigas #1) but is getting there. Here are pictures of both of them.

Gigas #1
Gigas2019072001#1.jpg

Gigas #2
Gigas2019072002#2.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
I irritated the clam a bit so I can take picture of the shell growth over 11 days. Now that the clam is comfortable, I expect it to continue to grow as a very fast rate. I need to really need to get my Ca reactor cranking up. That last bit of growth there is all in my tank. These guys growing like gangbuster when they are happy and there are plenty of Ca and Alkalinity.
Clam2019072004Gigas#1shell.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Last week, my Alkalinity is 4.79 Ca of 390 and Mg of 1240. I added CaCl2 to get Ca to 450. I did not recheck Alkalinity.
I recheck it next week. Right now I only add Kalk. Need to get the Ca reactor going. I have not have much hard coral in the tank so evaboration of amost 3 l just top off with saturated Kalk from my Kalk reactor.

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Mine arrived last saturday. Two Gigas and one big fat Squamosa. My Fedex guy has seen my tank and the minute he loads his truck and see's a box labeled "Live Animals" for me, he makes a bee line for my house and I meet him at the curb. Super good guy!. All seem to be doing well. The two Gigas attached quickly. They seem so tiny and fragile especially compared to weight and thickness of the Squamosa. I had to turn down the flow from the Gyres. The Gigas like it pretty calm so i am looking for a place in the tank for them to grow out with minimal disturbance. At first I thought my Squamosa was showing early signs of pinched mantle until i turned the front set of Gyres down and then he let it all hang out. I am changing over to ATI Essentials Pro today. Super excited about this change and can't wait to see the effects.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Mine arrived last saturday. Two Gigas and one big fat Squamosa. My Fedex guy has seen my tank and the minute he loads his truck and see's a box labeled "Live Animals" for me, he makes a bee line for my house and I meet him at the curb. Super good guy!. All seem to be doing well. The two Gigas attached quickly. They seem so tiny and fragile especially compared to weight and thickness of the Squamosa. I had to turn down the flow from the Gyres. The Gigas like it pretty calm so i am looking for a place in the tank for them to grow out with minimal disturbance. At first I thought my Squamosa was showing early signs of pinched mantle until i turned the front set of Gyres down and then he let it all hang out. I am changing over to ATI Essentials Pro today. Super excited about this change and can't wait to see the effects.

My gigas is in a pretty good amount of flow. It turned itself so the flow was over it lengthwise and seems to be loving it now. The mantle extended fully after about 5 days.

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Yes, I think as long as the flow is not pushing the mantle back away from the shell. That seems to really irritate them plus probably would interfere with the deposit of new shell.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
I wish you guys post pictures. It really worth a thousand words.
Here are my Gigas. I think the second Gigas is essentially recovered. Have not have any growth yet but the first one is growing by leaps and bounds. From this last picture, you can see that the shell growth have double since the last picture, not double the clam, but double the amount of growth the first 11 days. I got a few aptasia on the rocks in my refugium. I need to get my File fish back here to take care of it.
I got a file fish that I move from tank to tank to taek care of the aptasia. He does that in short order.
Clam2019072301GigasSquamosa.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back