ORA Pearlberry discussion....history,growth rates,pictures

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine I got about a month ago from Boom Corals. I think it is just starting to gain some color other then green. I am excited to watch this grow out.

7C7F2B35-BD67-49EA-867C-7B309C3E7BAE.jpeg

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my Pearlberry from LA. In true ORA fashion, its a chunky frag with color out of the bag. Thank you ORA! Happy to support you guys.

C6665A56-7D67-478A-AE3F-FE9B84C4AACB.jpeg
Takes the guess work out of it when you get it from them. PB will always be one of my favorites, and with yours I can see how closely it resembles their stock pic

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my PB I picked up from TSA at the end of Feb 2019. It stayed like this for about 3 months then turned solid green. Don't mind the half dead CC Voodoo Majick. It came in that way

99D2012E-C292-435C-A2C9-FBC88CFF1A62.jpeg

Fast forward to 6 months later and this is what I have. About 3 months in one of my larger fish ran into the PB and snapped off the top half. Thus it turning green. Since then the colors have bounced back. The portion on the right is the top half I remounted on new plug which has encrusted well and the portion on the left was the original base. In the last two weeks it has really started to take off. Blasting it around 500 par - Radions G4, A360X and T5, running high nutrients.
IMG_3578.JPG

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the hurricanes wiped it out more than a decade ago when their facility got slammed. They got some pieces back from people who they knew had legit specimens, but also heard that some fragments of their own made it (just mostly conjecture about this). Like any expensive coral, there are a LOT of fakes.

It can take a while to grow it out to where you can constantly provide frags for sale and still have some. This is on a scale that no hobbyist or basement fragger could ever imagine - not even the ever loved JF or WWC could make 100-1000 frags a year of all of their corals and expect the remaining colonies to produce another 100-1000 the next year.

For me, in the hobbyist tank, it is not tolerant of riff-raff, bouncy parameters or bad husbandry. It will grow quickly and look awesome if you know what you are doing. I have sold many frags to the same people who just are not good enough to keep it alive - I had to cut them off since I cannot support this after a while. Don't take it personally if it does not do well in your tank, but if it does die, then take measure since it is telling you something.

Gene C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been in the tank for a week. Colors are beginning to show as of this morning. 2nd image is roughly 5 weeks after placing in the tank. I have waited a while for this acquisition. Just happened to be on sale when I was ready.
20190920_141355.jpg
20191103_165436.jpg

Last edited:

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see every ones so spread out but mines still in a tight cluster. I have mine sitting in about 300 par almost center in a 40 breeder with 2 MP40s for flow. Is it maybe getting too much flow?

Pic taken tonight
09DFD2FA-24C2-49EA-9BD2-FD78AAA3EE9E.jpeg

When I got it this past January
61E7AA76-8E0B-4810-B352-8D8307D8A542.jpeg

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has taken FOREVER to get going. When I received it, it greened out almost like a slimmer and went dormant. Then over the last month or so it sprouted a new branch that has now outgrown the original branch it came as, and is showing the ideal color. This has been a bucket list coral

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has taken FOREVER to get going. When I received it, it greened out almost like a slimmer and went dormant. Then over the last month or so it sprouted a new branch that has now outgrown the original branch it came as, and is showing the ideal color. This has been a bucket list coral

I have been having the same experience; slow grower, about 6 weeks in aquarium now and starting to slowly branch out. This is one that definitely requires patience and careful observation to get the best color out of it. And when that color comes out, it is definitely something special.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I had no idea Pearlberry was available again from ORA. Seems like the price went up just a little o_O

It is nice and probably worth the price. Most of these on this this thread, and on the internet look like posers to me, but they are small... only time will tell and we have all been fooled as some of them grow into the real-deal. Getting one from ORA is a sure thing.

FWIW - I get 125+ for legit 1" frags but some of the people with knock-offs in town get more like $50.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is nice and probably worth the price. Most of these on this this thread, and on the internet look like posers to me, but they are small... only time will tell and we have all been fooled as some of them grow into the real-deal. Getting one from ORA is a sure thing.

FWIW - I get 125+ for legit 1" frags but some of the people with knock-offs in town get more like $50.
Ever going to show us this colony or the PM colony?

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got mine from a local guy who got his from ORA. What would make you think most are posers? Some dont have the corlaite structure but that was maybe 2 posts. Most others have the color and shape of the pearlberry.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a dozen threads like these, hundreds for sale at local and national shows and know what they look like. Photos are hard. Frags are hard. No doubt that online verification is hard. I would guess that half of the pearlberry that I have seen offered for sale are fake.

Look around or browse thorough some threads and you will see. Here are some:

I am not a good photographer, but here is a frag that I cut and sold a while back...

Here is a photo from somebody more talented (not me) of a legit OG Pearlberry. It can take a while for them to get here:

OnPointCorals

Premier Aquaculture SPS Boutique
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Ever going to show us this colony or the PM colony?

YES! Man I can’t wait to see this colony pictured in all its colored up glory.

Back