ORA Pearlberry discussion....history,growth rates,pictures

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a dozen threads like these, hundreds for sale at local and national shows and know what they look like. Photos are hard. Frags are hard. No doubt that online verification is hard. I would guess that half of the pearlberry that I have seen offered for sale are fake.

Look around or browse thorough some threads and you will see. Here are some:

I am not a good photographer, but here is a frag that I cut and sold a while back...

Here is a photo from somebody more talented (not me) of a legit OG Pearlberry. It can take a while for them to get here:
I seen those mushroom pics you take and they look good. Let’s see some colony pics!

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take a better pic of mine tomorrow. Maybe someone can tell me if it looks legit. I'm pretty sure it is. Now you got me thinking lol

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is just now starting break it’s shell. High light, slow grower for me.

98931357-F18E-43C8-A666-8EEE6750C109.jpeg
Beautiful, comrade. Thanks for sharing

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a dozen threads like these, hundreds for sale at local and national shows and know what they look like. Photos are hard. Frags are hard. No doubt that online verification is hard. I would guess that half of the pearlberry that I have seen offered for sale are fake.

Look around or browse thorough some threads and you will see. Here are some:

I am not a good photographer, but here is a frag that I cut and sold a while back...

Here is a photo from somebody more talented (not me) of a legit OG Pearlberry. It can take a while for them to get here:
Now that's what a frag should look like! Very nice.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this was sold to me by a vendor here at one of their website auctions. Is this a Pearlberry or no? If not then what is it?

A8D3BB66-EFE5-4DDF-85BF-2DCA5EAA05E0.jpeg

Nilo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s mine. Got it from Live Aquaria 1 month ago. Turned green the first week and now regaining its whitish base. White and all blue pic. Fairly good grower, already added to its base and popping out some small branches already
81C46C18-81B9-47D6-A6B3-037C8F005023.png

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this is eye opening. I bought one from my LFS 6 months ago, settled in nicely, fulling encrusted, sending up several new vertical branches, really pretty teal blue color with slightly pinkish tips.... the coral structure is nothing like what i see here. Totally different. I still like it, one of my favorites, just obviously not a PB.

duke62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys don’t hype it up vendors are watching and will make it 500 fora 1/4” piece lol. Here is mine.got it as a 3/4 frag last March

47BA74C5-7D5E-4681-9D35-98C63D36F107.jpeg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can already expect to pay well over $100 for a legit one - even ones direct from ORA at $200 or more. If you see it cheaper, then I would question it... this is one of the most faked corals out there IMO.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1633 (1).jpg

Mine continues to get better color over time, now about 6 weeks in the tank. Direct from ORA

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can already expect to pay well over $100 for a legit one - even ones direct from ORA at $200 or more. If you see it cheaper, then I would question it... this is one of the most faked corals out there IMO.
You can find them much cheaper than that. The one you got from FarmerTy came from a good buddy who sells to ORA. He also sells to other reputable vendors and they sell it for $60 - $80.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find them much cheaper than that. The one you got from FarmerTy came from a good buddy who sells to ORA. He also sells to other reputable vendors and they sell it for $60 - $80.
I wish I could find me one locally for that price.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one that I got from FarmerTy does not yet look like the one that I have that I got from ORA. I think that it will eventually, but it does not yet. This is what makes these so hard. I have never traded nor sold a frag of that one and will not until it looks just like the others. Any frags that I have traded, sold or given away have come from my own colony.

I am not yet completely convinced that the pre-hurricane Pearlberry and the one that they sell now are the same coral. Many sent them some when they rebuilt, so it could be. I have gotten frags from about 4/5 people (a few LARGE vendors) and some are for-sure knockoffs and some need more time. I got mine on a ORA plug before the hurricane, so I know that it is legit.

It would be like $150 for a piece like this from me. This is what I get, but I did give some away to @ca1ore a while back for an experiment and I wonder how those turned out.

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one that I got from FarmerTy does not yet look like the one that I have that I got from ORA. I think that it will eventually, but it does not yet. This is what makes these so hard. I have never traded nor sold a frag of that one and will not until it looks just like the others. Any frags that I have traded, sold or given away have come from my own colony.

I am not yet completely convinced that the pre-hurricane Pearlberry and the one that they sell now are the same coral. Many sent them some when they rebuilt, so it could be. I have gotten frags from about 4/5 people (a few LARGE vendors) and some are for-sure knockoffs and some need more time. I got mine on a ORA plug before the hurricane, so I know that it is legit.

It would be like $150 for a piece like this from me. This is what I get, but I did give some away to @ca1ore a while back for an experiment and I wonder how those turned out.
The one my buddy sold to Ty and then to you came from ORA many years ago. He's also the same guy with probably the largest Oregon tort colony in the U.S., if not the world. ORA is local to us and they know him well. They re-buy frags from him because they know hes legit.

I would still love to see a pic of your colony and not that same frag.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come to my house and see if you can get a good photo of it. I cannot. Got any photos of your buddy's colony? I usually never ask for photos because taking requests sucks and is usually a crappy thing to ask unless people need help, but I can keep posting the request every week or two.

Here is another frag for you to look at:

...and a real horrible photo of one of my colonies from a few years ago which have always been in my Flickr album for anybody to see:
Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 10.04.43 AM.png

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come to my house and see if you can get a good photo of it. I cannot. Got any photos of your buddy's colony? I usually never ask for photos because taking requests sucks and is usually a crappy thing to ask unless people need help, but I can keep posting the request every week or two.

Here is another frag for you to look at:

...and a real horrible photo of one of my colonies from a few years ago which have always been in my Flickr album for anybody to see:
Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 10.04.43 AM.png
These are his pics. The top pic is about 4 years ago and the bottom pic is of a second colony he grew from the other.

The pearlberry is behind the Oregon tort with a lokani to the right .
C76F451C-226B-47AE-8C39-EAAC5C070F4F.jpeg
B152A198-ABA1-46F1-ABDE-7276A3B78886.jpeg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back