Orange/Brown Hairs growing near my corals

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Was taking a real close look at the sand near one of my soft corals and noticed these very thin, orangy brown hairs flowing in current on the sand bed next to the live rock my coral is on. I also took another look at another one of my corals and see more kinda wrapped around the liverock and a bit of the stalk of the toadstool that's on it. AND I just took another closer look at my devils hand and noticed more of it around its base. I hope it's not cyano, the color seems off and its not everywhere on the sand bed, just in those spots (that I've noticed so far), it's not slimy in any sense that I can tell, and I don't thiiiiiink it's dinos(?), could it just be hair algae? The ones near my devils hand look kind of greenish but the rest are and orange or brown color. Also if it helps they do seem very susceptible to the flow of the current in that they're very wispy.

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW I am also currently dealing with diatoms if that further helps.

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks Stats (as of a week ago):
KH: 8.7
NH3: 0
Ca: 400
Mg: 1240
NO3: 12
NO2: 0
Ph: 8.1
PO4: 0.01

Livestock: 2 Onyx Clowns, Starry Blenny
Coral: Devils Hand, Cauliflower Colt, Duncan, Toadstool, all on some form of live rock and from the same sell tank at my LFS.

Oh and I do 10% water changes every week

Last edited:

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Was taking a real close look at the sand near one of my soft corals and noticed these very thin, orangy brown hairs flowing in current on the sand bed next to the live rock my coral is on. I also took another look at another one of my corals and see more kinda wrapped around the liverock and a bit of the stalk of the toadstool that's on it. AND I just took another closer look at my devils hand and noticed more of it around its base. I hope it's not cyano, the color seems off and its not everywhere on the sand bed, just in those spots (that I've noticed so far), it's not slimy in any sense that I can tell, and I don't thiiiiiink it's dinos(?), could it just be hair algae? The ones near my devils hand look kind of greenish but the rest are and orange or brown color. Also if it helps they do seem very susceptible to the flow of the current in that they're very wispy.
Pics?

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given their location, an actually how few there is (guess I caught it early) getting a pic where they're visible is impossible, which angers me cuz I wish I could post pics

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like dinos or cyano.
I gave pics a try I hope you can see them, thin black lines in the pics but in person they're brown or orange.

So if cyano or dinos, what can I do?

Attachments

• PXL_20201206_024043003.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201206_024043003.MP.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 77
  • PXL_20201206_024108201.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201206_024108201.MP.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 84

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If dinos/cyano, Manually remove/siphon out, check NO3 and PO4 are in range, lessen feeding, shorten light intervals. Be patient. Will take time to eradicate.

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If dinos/cyano, Manually remove/siphon out, check NO3 and PO4 are in range, lessen feeding, shorten light intervals. Be patient. Will take time to eradicate.
Less food, short lights, and patience, what's the shortest I should set my lights while making sure my corals will be fine?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
CAN YOU POSSIBLY TAKE PICS UNDER WHITE LIGHTS?
Diatoms look like hair strands, wheras dino looks like string gold/brown snot with bubbles

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CAN YOU POSSIBLY TAKE PICS UNDER WHITE LIGHTS?
Diatoms look like hair strands, wheras dino looks like string gold/brown snot with bubbles
The lights are white! I promise if I was more able to take whiter photos I would. There's no bubbles, do the bubbles show up on dino immediately or do they eventually show up on the strands. They aren't snotty, it literally just looks like hair sort of coming out of the sand except for the ones around the toadstool, they just look tangled. Also can diatoms be hairy? I thought diatoms where more grainy like they have been so far.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The lights are white! I promise if I was more able to take whiter photos I would. There's no bubbles, do the bubbles show up on dino immediately or do they eventually show up on the strands. They aren't snotty, it literally just looks like hair sort of coming out of the sand except for the ones around the toadstool, they just look tangled. Also can diatoms be hairy? I thought diatoms where more grainy like they have been so far.
Perfect description - Diatoms.
Reduce white light intensity and increase flow a little if you can towards mid tank. Siphon as needed but DO . . . Check your phos and nitrate for elevated levels.
Adding a few nassarius snails and some blue leg hermits should help keep it loose. Silicates are contributing in part

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect description - Diatoms.
Reduce white light intensity and increase flow a little if you can towards mid tank. Siphon as needed but DO . . . Check your phos and nitrate for elevated levels.
Adding a few nassarius snails and some blue leg hermits should help keep it loose. Silicates are contributing in part
I don't know if you saw the added post I put earlier about tank stats but yeah, phosphate is at 0.01 and nitrate at 12, I do my weekly tests tomorrow so hey maybe in the last week these numbers heckin jumped. When you say white light intensity, do you mean specifically the white light frequency in my LEDS or just how much light? Do I have to actively siphon and remove sand from my system or can I just stir up my sand? Also I have 2 power heads on the left and right walls at around mid depth in the tank (though I guess there a bit higher than exact mid so if you think putting them a bit more perfect middle then I will). Will definitely add some snails and hermits asap.

OP
OP
Herides

Herides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh, with the tank lights off and using a flash light, the strands near my colt coral look almost red, which has me deeply concerned.

Back