Orange Fungia seems to be going downhill

zafink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So I bought this Fungia 5 days ago from LFS (great place, pacific east aquaculture). It has seemed to be doing great, nicely puffed up and all, then I woke up this morning and it hasn't expanded, and is turning white in some areas. Seems to have gone downhill just overnight...

All my other lps, which I have had longer, up to several months, are doing great.

Could it be the light is too high? According to REDSEA included par specs for my tank, Par is around 90-120 where its at now...

Also, I don't think any sand has disturbed it, pump isn't blowing sand onto it and I don't have any fish that stir things up on the bottom

One odd thing that happened yesterday, unsure if related, is that yesterday morning I noticed there was something pretty big in its mouth. I used a turkey baster to suck it up, and it was a dead hermit crab! Lol, not sure if this has ever happened to someone else but I've never seen before. There was an empty hermit shell propped on the edge of the coral. Perhaps the crab was trying to get food that I had spot fed the night before...

params are good and stable at:

Sal 1.0265
Alk 10.7
Calcium 455
Mag 1350
Nitrate 2
Phosphate .03

P1010047.JPG

Last edited:

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So I bought this Fungia 5 days ago from LFS (great place, pacific east aquaculture). It has seemed to be doing great, nicely puffed up and all, then I woke up this morning and it hasn't expanded, and is turning white in some areas. Seems to have gone downhill just overnight...

All my other lps, which I have had longer, up to several months, are doing great.

Could it be the light is too high? According to REDSEA included par specs for my tank, Par is around 90-120 where its at now...

Also, I don't think any sand has disturbed it, pump isn't blowing sand onto it and I don't have any fish that stir things up on the bottom

One odd thing that happened yesterday, unsure if related, is that yesterday morning I noticed there was something pretty big in its mouth. I used a turkey baster to suck it up, and it was a dead hermit crab! Lol, not sure if this has ever happened to someone else but I've never seen before. There was an empty hermit shell propped on the edge of the coral. Perhaps the crab was trying to get food that I had spot fed the night before...

params are good and stable at:

Sal 1.0265
Alk 10.7
Calcium 455
Mag 1350
Nitrate 2
Phosphate .03

P1010047.JPG
Not sure what’s going on but commenting personal experiences to help. A lot of my corals got stressed when spot feeding or suction around it. If it’s an issue like string algae or sand on coral I’ve started using new clean makeup brushes and wiping them off. My torchlight use to shrivel for hours after spot feeding, maybe eating? But now it doesn’t phase him at all. So idk if the turkey baster sucking stressed it but keep on trucking! Definitely commenting so I can keep up with this thread.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back