Orange Hammer - What's up with it? This is one I haven't encountered...

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R! Need some help...

SETUP: 280g mixed reef, moderate sand bed.
Lighting: 2 AI 64, one AI 32; PAR at 1/3 of tank (right next to hammers in pic) 80-90 max
Supplements: Brightwell 2 part for CA/Alk; supplement Mg,
Feeding: Broadcast and spot (1-2 x week); Reef Feast, phyto (alternate with reef snow); Red Sea Reef Energy AB+ daily
All dosing, monitoring, etc managed with Apex (including Trident). I double check Ca and Alk with Hanna to confirm consistency (not accuracy)
Tank is 6 mo old, all coral seem to be doing extremely well (numerous scolys, hammers, frogspawn, trachys, torches, montis, bubbles and leathers)
Have not had algae issues or any outbreaks. Dealt with ich early on but got over it through fallow and treating fish.
Current fish: yellow watchman, sailfin tang, sand sifter goby
Inverts: red linkia, blue linkia, tile starfish, brittle starfish, and a bunch of snails (CUC)

PARAMETERS:
  • Alk: 9.1 (consistently between 9.0-9.2, no swings)
  • Ca: 449 ppm (consistently 380-450)
  • Mg: 1377 ppm
  • PO4: 0.15
  • NO3: 16
  • PH 8.1 - 8.3
  • Temp 77.5-78.5
I've had these hammers for several months. Originally, they were full and bright orange. Over time, they have slowly decreased color and the tentacles have shortened and no longer look to have a hammer.
All 5 heads are from same colony.
The 2 that are separate are more pronounced. The larger one still has 2 heads that are orange and appear normal looking.
From a placement perspective, the 2 headed one is a little higher in the tank, the 3 headed one is lower close to sand bed and under a large cup coral.
2 headed under blues and whites:
IMG-1103.jpg
IMG-1106.jpg

3 headed under blues and whites:

IMG-1104.jpg
IMG-1105.jpg

They open fully, but with very short tentacles. This has been a gradual change, nothing overnight. I've lost several hammers along the way (BJD), so I'm familiar with that process. This is completely different...
There are 2 other large hammer colonies in the tank, one directly above the 2 headed orange:

IMG-1108.jpg

And one across the tank at the same level:
IMG-1107.jpg

(And yes, I know, the hammer is getting my trachy, but he's too big and they just have to get along...)

The only thing I can think of is either too much light, or that the heads are splitting... If it were too much light, why am I seeing the same thing on the other heads that are lower and shaded?
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think they look great! Are the receding at all?

OP
OP
jassermd

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No receding tissue at all. Just the change in color and shape. If you look closely at the orange hammer with 4 heads (it's actually a 3 head that's splitting) you can see the stubby tentacles and loss of the orange color.
It's only the orange hammers that are showing this type of change.
Weird... any insights would be greatly appreciated!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back