Orange Spotted Filefish Quit Eating

jbates

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, two weeks ago I bought an Orange-Spotted Filefish in an attempt to keep one for myself since they’re one of my favorites. After a few days, she started eating Masstick readily, but in the past week she has slowly lost interest in any kind of food. She is getting visibly bony, so I am very concerned, and I have no idea why she quit eating. I see her try to nip at the small circles of salt left by evaporation on the outside of the tank, maybe these look like acro polyps? I’ve tried multiple pellet types, flakes, mysis, fresh clams, and Masstick. Tank parameters are all normal, and she is in an 8 month old 55 gallon with 5 other fish. Any advice on what to do to get my girl to start eating again would be much appreciated, I’ve grown very fond of her.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a good idea to isolate it so you can give it better access to the food with no competition. Sometimes I notice mine getting its food swooped on by my boxfish. Would help to know what kind of fish she's living with. Sometimes too much flow means they can't properly hone in on the food as they approach it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone, two weeks ago I bought an Orange-Spotted Filefish in an attempt to keep one for myself since they’re one of my favorites. After a few days, she started eating Masstick readily, but in the past week she has slowly lost interest in any kind of food. She is getting visibly bony, so I am very concerned, and I have no idea why she quit eating. I see her try to nip at the small circles of salt left by evaporation on the outside of the tank, maybe these look like acro polyps? I’ve tried multiple pellet types, flakes, mysis, fresh clams, and Masstick. Tank parameters are all normal, and she is in an 8 month old 55 gallon with 5 other fish. Any advice on what to do to get my girl to start eating again would be much appreciated, I’ve grown very fond of her.
Often, these can be finicky and shut down with feeding making them a challenge
You can try live blackwork or preferably live brine shrimp
Also assure the levels listed are not elevated:
ammonia
ph
nitrate
salinity
temperature

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tough to say what, if anything to do about that. As you know, Orange spot filefish have a long history of not doing well in aquarium, often related to dietary problems. The odd thing here is that it was eating then stopped. It is more common for them just not to start feeding.

The suspicion is that on top of being obligate coral feeders, some of these fish are collected with cyanide. That in turn can leave lasting damage, which includes food malabsorption and not feeding as possible symptoms.

Here is an article I wrote on fish anorexia - it won't give you a solution, though, just a better understanding of the issue:

Jay

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, that is unusual for it to stop eating. Are the pellets you are offering small enough for them to suck up in their mouth? If no, maybe try smaller pellets. I’d try putting the Masstick close to anything she’s pecking at. You could try putting some on a coral skeleton as well. I agree with separating or otherwise ensuring she doesn’t have to compete for food and to turn off pumps whenever offering anything but Masstick. Also try to feed very heavily at least 6-7 times a day until she puts some weight back on (keep an eye on ammonia if this is significantly more than typical). There should be leftovers on the sand and rocks she can continue to hunt for. Have you tried adding any garlic to entice a feeding response?
A few other questions:
1. Are you medicating for anything, many medications suppress appetite, if you are, stop.
2. Have you checked the basics? Temp, salinity, Ph, ammonia?
3. Tank mates?

a list of foods easy for them to eat:
Frozen: fish eggs, Rotifers, cyclops, reef plankton, blood worms
Live: baby brine shrimp, black worms
Pellets: very small, 1mm max size
Finely crushed flakes.

They will eat other foods, but the size of the foods listed are easier for them while they learn how to eat prepared foods.
good luck! They are my faves.
66778142-DE63-44EB-9A8A-1BC3489541A2.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back