Orange striped goby with red banded pistol shrimp

christa1421

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve posted this is another group, but haven’t received much feedback, so I’m posting it here to see if anyone else has seen this or had this experience. I bought a bonded orange striped goby with a red handed pistol shrimp back in January. They were doing great…following each other around and sticking together. The shrimp made little tunnels around the rocks and the goby slept in there with him. This morning, I heard the pistol snapping like crazy. I looked in the tank and saw part of the pistol in the goby’s mouth. I’m not sure if the goby went after the pistol or the pistol went after the goby….but why?!? They’re supposed to have a symbiotic relationship. I just don’t get it. The goby eventually ripped the pincher/leg off the pistol, then the emerald crab immediately ate up the rest of the pistol and the goby ate what he had in its’ mouth. Goby seems to be doing ok. Has anyone had that experience or know why? Only thing I can think is if the pistol was sick or dying…but he was clearly alive in the video. Sorry for the graphic video…just trying to understand why that would’ve happened and if anyone has any insight.

Attachments

• IMG_9785.MOV
    54.5 MB

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve posted this is another group, but haven’t received much feedback, so I’m posting it here to see if anyone else has seen this or had this experience. I bought a bonded orange striped goby with a red handed pistol shrimp back in January. They were doing great…following each other around and sticking together. The shrimp made little tunnels around the rocks and the goby slept in there with him. This morning, I heard the pistol snapping like crazy. I looked in the tank and saw part of the pistol in the goby’s mouth. I’m not sure if the goby went after the pistol or the pistol went after the goby….but why?!? They’re supposed to have a symbiotic relationship. I just don’t get it. The goby eventually ripped the pincher/leg off the pistol, then the emerald crab immediately ate up the rest of the pistol and the goby ate what he had in its’ mouth. Goby seems to be doing ok. Has anyone had that experience or know why? Only thing I can think is if the pistol was sick or dying…but he was clearly alive in the video. Sorry for the graphic video…just trying to understand why that would’ve happened and if anyone has any insight.
I hv heard it happening but not seen that goby ate shrimp. May be size plays a role here. Sometimes anemone also eat clownfish but it is like a rare case.

For more suggestions let's call experts
#reefsquad

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back