Orange stuff?

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been in the process of lowering my nitrates and getting rid of hair algae, and ever since it’s been in the tank, there’s also been this orange almost cyano type stuff in my tank. It only seems to be on the algae and not any rock. Any ideas what this might be?
image.jpg

There’s also some red cyano but I at least know what it is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lay time I tested nitrates (9/24) they were 25.1. I have no idea what my nitrites are I haven’t tested for them in a long time and I’m at work so I’ll have to test later.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your impression of Hanna high range nitrate test? Do you trust the readings?
And your phosphate concentrations?

I do not know because it is difficult to see on photos - but your "hair algae" looks similar to organism that I normally suspect to be cyano bacteria of another species than the normal mats.

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your impression of Hanna high range nitrate test? Do you trust the readings?
And your phosphate concentrations?

I do not know because it is difficult to see on photos - but your "hair algae" looks similar to organism that I normally suspect to be cyano bacteria of another species than the normal mats.

Sincerely Lasse
Phosphates are also high at .3
As far as the Hanna checker goes I’d say I trust it.

my nutrients have been high because of an underpowered pump and my sumps unique design causing water to not flow into my filter socks as much as it should have.

Back