Orange things in holes/tunnels on hammer stem

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you find some other pictures that look like those? - where the sponge is raised over the coral (not on active coral - but instead on the base)? Just can't find it. I mean its one frag - maybe the op should just return it - but - I'm just curious - because I would never have even noticed these microscopic orange spots - its for my education:)

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me they look nothing like the orange spots on the OP's coral - perhaps I'm blind.
Maybe these look more like it to you?
boring-sponge-2.jpg
imagesboring2.jpg
imagesboring sponge.jpg
op-boring.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe these look more like it to you?
boring-sponge-2.jpg
imagesboring2.jpg
imagesboring sponge.jpg
op-boring.jpg
No - actually. the last one is ah orange picture - with no context (CANT EXPAND IT0 -I have no clue what they are - I think its a non-issue.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - actually. the last one is ah orange picture - with no context (CANT EXPAND IT0 -I have no clue what they are - I think its a non-issue.
Well, the last photo is a cropped, as close up and clear as I could get, photo of one of the sponges in the OP's post. You can see, or at least I am able with my reading glasses, the similar lattice structure of the sponge in both that particular photo and the one to the left of it.
Regardless, look out for it in the future. You can see it with the naked eye and I can even see it without my reading glasses ;). Poke at it with a toothpick and you'll see it is a sponge. I really hope that you do not ever get them though.

OP
OP
M

MyOtherCarIsAFishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I couldn't eradicate it with the traditional sponge killing methods, and since the coral was reaching the end of the time that I could keep it out of a full quarantine tank but I didn't want to risk everything in that quarantine tank, I decided to cut the infected portions off. With the slightest trim, the entire base collapsed because it was full of an orange good that I gather is the sponge. This thing was crazy infested, and I'm glad I didn't put it in my tank. I'll be seeking a refund from Aqua SD. I'm surprised they didn't catch this because it was like two dozen holes all around the base and they were bright orange.

20190524_165137.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I couldn't eradicate it with the traditional sponge killing methods, and since the coral was reaching the end of the time that I could keep it out of a full quarantine tank but I didn't want to risk everything in that quarantine tank, I decided to cut the infected portions off. With the slightest trim, the entire base collapsed because it was full of an orange good that I gather is the sponge. This thing was crazy infested, and I'm glad I didn't put it in my tank. I'll be seeking a refund from Aqua SD. I'm surprised they didn't catch this because it was like two dozen holes all around the base and they were bright orange.

20190524_165137.jpg

THAT IS AN AWESOME FIND... Amazing. Good advice @P-Dub

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20190524_165137.jpg
Good call just removing the whole base. It is a nasty, nasty organism.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20190524_165137.jpg

man the ocean is filled with cool stuff eh?

Coral4coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve literally seen massive colony’s with these sponges so when exactly does it affect the coral ?

OP
OP
M

MyOtherCarIsAFishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve literally seen massive colony’s with these sponges so when exactly does it affect the coral ?
It was killing mine. The whole interior was bored out and full of sponge. The skeleton structure was like a thin sheet of ice that completely collapsed when I even started to trim it.

Like other sponges, very few things eat them, and they can grow quickly. I would guess they can still get nutrients from the top of the coral (the normal fleshy part), so I would be concerned glue wouldn't do it alone. Personally, I would never put these in a tank that had things I cared about in it.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I did was put glue over
I sure would be interested in how the coral does in the long run with this method. I am imagining a rotting sponge within the skeleton... just doesn't sound good...

Coral4coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was killing mine. The whole interior was bored out and full of sponge. The skeleton structure was like a thin sheet of ice that completely collapsed when I even started to trim it.

Like other sponges, very few things eat them, and they can grow quickly. I would guess they can still get nutrients from the top of the coral (the normal fleshy part), so I would be concerned glue wouldn't do it alone. Personally, I would never put these in a tank that had things I cared about in it.
I definitely agree with not putting in the display but as far as pest go I feel you can eradicate these with nice cut from a band saw unless it’s too late

Coral4coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure would be interested in how the coral does in the long run with this method. I am imagining a rotting sponge within the skeleton... just doesn't sound good...
I agree but I’m thinking the best way is to just chop off what you can glue the rest and keep it in a quarantine tank. after dealing with some sps pests that can seriously just destroy a tank in a matter of months this doesn’t seem to bad idk, very interesting though I have literally just seen these start to pop up recently and apparently it’s a problem in or actually reefs around the world

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back