OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may be where all the microorganisms collect which could be why he goes to the top.
That's as good a guess as any I could think of...I couldn't imagine it has anything to do with a lack of oxygen in the water but just in case, I put a couple airstones in there and turn then on for part of the day

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's as good a guess as any I could think of...I couldn't imagine it has anything to do with a lack of oxygen in the water but just in case, I put a couple airstones in there and turn then on for part of the day
I think it’s best to be safe and do think you went the right way with adding more O2 to the tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the differences between the linkia and formia? I'd want a proper ID 1st prior to me doing any experiments or real work
D
Fromia are usually red and much smaller than Linkia which are usually blue and about 6 inches from arm to arm.
I could be completely out with this but this is just from the species I’ve found most common in LFSs.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the differences between the linkia and formia? I'd want a proper ID 1st prior to me doing any experiments or real work
D
I can identify them accurately... While there are multiple color morphs of Linckias, the arms are longer and skinnier for one thing. Also, Fromias are smaller and have black tips on the end of their arms. There are other difference as well but those are the most obvious.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can identify them accurately... While there are multiple color morphs of Linckias, the arms are longer and skinnier for one thing. Also, Fromias are smaller and have black tips on the end of their arms. There are other difference as well but those are the most obvious.
Interesting to hear there’s multiple colour forms of linkia, usually I see blue as the only colour.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting to hear there’s multiple colour forms of linkia, usually I see blue as the only colour.
Yeah most people typically associate Linckias with always being blue probably because there just aren't many blue inverts but there are some beautiful red ones, orange ones, ones with splotchy patterns and even others. Here are some orange ones at a shop close to me...

Screenshot_2022-06-15-10-33-20-622_com.facebook.katana.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah most people typically associate Linckias with always being blue probably because there just aren't many blue inverts but there are some beautiful red ones, orange ones, ones with splotchy patterns and even others. Here are some orange ones at a shop close to me...

Screenshot_2022-06-15-10-33-20-622_com.facebook.katana.jpg
They’re stunning, I think I mainly associate linkia with being blue due to the most common species seeming to be Linkia laevigate.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been doing a ton of research on not just Fromias but starfish in general... they're amazingly complex!
They really are, I still wonder how they’re able to regrow limbs.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe he will do fine while I'm preparing the biofilm for him but I've put so much research and time into it now that if he didn't make it for some reason I'd consider getting a new star to feed

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think when you knew someone with a Fromia, did they ever spot feed him or do you know?
I think they did spot feed them - we wouldn’t normally spot feed and they still ate something in the tanks but whatever it was we would never be able to figure out as we kept them in the coral tanks where many natural organisms would be able to take up a home in there.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they did spot feed them - we wouldn’t normally spot feed and they still ate something in the tanks but whatever it was we would never be able to figure out as we kept them in the coral tanks where many natural organisms would be able to take up a home in there.
I was just curious...from my experience a lot of people just assume they're find enough food naturally which maybe they will, maybe they won't. And if they are finding food, is the composition of the food adequate would be an additional question. That's why as long as he readily takes any food offered, I don't see any reason not to feed it to him

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just curious...from my experience a lot of people just assume they're find enough food naturally which maybe they will, maybe they won't. And if they are finding food, is the composition of the food adequate would be an additional question. That's why as long as he readily takes any food offered, I don't see any reason not to feed it to him
Any update on your starfish?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back