The House of Orange

Adam Houston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this lil fella on my way back from training camp in Dallas @ Dallas North Aquarium shop- wish they had these in my area but sadly I live in the middle of nowhere jk Lol

Attachments

• 728B1810-CCC6-4B57-822D-A6F3E4E47172.jpeg
    728B1810-CCC6-4B57-822D-A6F3E4E47172.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 29

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries, just checking in!

Namaste.
Now you’re going to start with that namaste crap too?

More like years then hours :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I try to keep them scattered in my build thread! And SPLAM them across R2R on occasion.

DSC_0077.JPG

Wildlife ain't bad either. Took this one of a transient Orca a few years ago, in Prince William Sound:

1591058494681_orca1.jpg
I’d like to see a pic looking back towards your house from the top ridge on that mountain!

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Now you’re going to start with that namaste crap too?

I’d like to see a pic looking back towards your house from the top ridge on that mountain!
Dance Dancing GIF

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the stand complete (doors not pictured) and foam levelling mat in place, it was time to get the sump under this beast. In keeping with my color scheme for under the hood, I had initially purchased a Trigger Systems Sapphire CR44 sump, but decided to go with the Tideline 60 for additional water volume. This posed an issue later on that caused me to change where and how I mounted the UV sterilizer, but more on that later. The Trigger Systems sump did not go to waste though, as it is supporting a different system in my basement now. So, win win. Anyways, in order to get this monster under the stand, I had to remove the back braces. This made (and still does, TBH) me nervous that, in the event of a failure with the acrylic, swapping out the sump would be near impossible with the tank in place and full above it. YOLO though, amirite!? So, here are some pics of the leveling mat being applied to the bottom and it being put into place:
Looks good but those metal brackets make me cringe.

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which brackets? The ones that were bracing the canopy?
Yes...Metal is always just asking for rust in the long term. In general all metal around the tanks make me Cringe. Most of mine is 80/20 for my canopy and a powder coated steel stand. Long thread but it looks like it is coming out good. I saw you went with 2 Mp60's and a Vectra return pump as well. Looks very similar to my 280 gallon build...Where you copying me....Jking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes...Metal is always just asking for rust in the long term.
I understand your point. However, in the case of the canopy, the steel was needed to provide the structural bracing that enabled the canopy to remain stable when the lift was in operation. All metal on my system was treated with marine grade corrosion inhibitor. The brackets supporting the canopy were then covered with mylar and HVAC tape. When I recently disassembled it, they (the brackets) were as fresh as the day they were installed.

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good morning, Team Styx. I'm sorry I have been relatively quiet (comparatively). I've had a lot going on outside of the hobby this week. I should hopefully have some reef related updates later on today or tomorrow. In the meantime, here's one of my favorite pictures of Johann:

FB_IMG_1679672268431.jpg

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you use 1 or 2 coats of that Rustoleum Topside for the inside of the stand/canopy? Also did you roll it or brush it on? Sorry I’m just very ocd and impatiently waiting for Home Depot to open!
Hey, no worries. I did two coats, and I used a 4" roller. Sorry for the delay, I actually slept in this morning.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be, yes, and for a number of reasons. First, they do not travel well at all, so the chain of custody stresses them more than the average fish. Leopards are also notoriously difficult to ween on to prepared foods, so you'll need to make sure that you have large, breeding pod populations and the ability to replenish them (i.e. running cultures). They require a sand bed, too- not just a Tupperware container with sand, so BB tanks are out of the question. None of these factors make them impossible to keep, mind you. They just need a little extra TLC to get going. Once they do though, they're awesome specimens.
Hey Fish Styx,,,, saw this, agree leopards are picky and want sand....I have a female for over a year, Mrs 1 Ocean loves them. I have a bare bottom with 20 pounds of sand far back corner for the wrasse's ...hidden behind rocks. the leopard and yellow coris love it..kinda their own little wrasse room...they eat mysis and food we make. We also add live mysis and pods twice a month for them and also for the mandarin and scooter blenny. At this point over a year I think the pods are multiplying like wrabbits...hahah

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I do not think it is nasty stinky....unless you like over by that huge chicken egg farm on the west side....OMG....that place makes a big odor ....
West side is the best side!

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
picked up 3 zoa frags at swap meet...African Blue Steel, Mohawks and Gorilla Nipples...cut them in 1/2 so to place them in two different locations since the 300 has so much real estate
I missed a swap meet?

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
picked up 3 zoa frags at swap meet...African Blue Steel, Mohawks and Gorilla Nipples...cut them in 1/2 so to place them in two different locations since the 300 has so much real estate
I love the name, "Gorilla nipples". I need to find someone to nickname now...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back