The House of Orange

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey, bud. I'm actually doing better, thanks. I've been relatively unplugged while I get caught up on a bunch of stuff. Didn't mean to leave everyone hanging.
You're good! Gotta take care of you!

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey question. I am using Brightwell for reef (code a/b liquid) ALK,CA and MG, what is everyone using? After of year the 300 is starting to suck down mg and alk. CA is finally at 400...I could never get it down past 500. SO now I am dosing...just trying to see what is working for you all. I really don't want to go to cal reactor ..

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think a lot of people do Kalkwasser. I use Baking Soda (my tank is high in carbonate hardness so I dose bicarbonate) for alk and Reef Advantage Magnesium for mag. I used Kent Tech M Magnesium liquid and actually liked that better but it wasn't available when I needed mag last. The Reef Advantage is the best bang for the buck I think but Tech M is close and easier.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks tbrown, I will check those products out. I am building a kalk 5 gallon ato container out of acrylic. I cut it all on the cnc, and going to use a ecotech versa doing pump. Building a matching ato container for rodi water top off.

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use kalk and calcium reactors in tandem. The effluent from the Carx is run through a second chamber containing dolomite to raise the ph and dissolve mag.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use kalk and calcium reactors in tandem. The effluent from the Carx is run through a second chamber containing dolomite to raise the ph and dissolve mag.
oh I like building stuff and your set up is right down my thought process but I really don't want to do cal reactor....well not yet I guess.

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
oh I like building stuff and your set up is right down my thought process but I really don't want to do cal reactor....well not yet I guess.
In the long run, given the size of your system, it is much more economical when compared to dosing IMO.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm doing a Kalkwasser stirrer giveaway at https://parlAquatics.com. Its for a unit similar to mine.
I love mine; It does an awesome job feeding my corals. I just dose ~100ml/hr into it and it spits out all the alk and Ca I need. Just refilled it with 2 cups of Pickling lime and it should go for another couple of months.

At this point all I'm doing (besides algae scraping & testing) is feeding the fish!
I changed my roller floss awhile ago and I try to scrape the weirs weekly I suppose.

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Fish Styx! Sorry buddy that I haven’t been on your thread in a while. Congrats on the 365 Tank btw :)
Hahaha. No worries, that makes two of us.

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Thursday..?

20230513_191302.jpg

FTS:

20230502_130229.jpg

Adam Houston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed my Tang Thursday photo request thanks to Bs overtime:grinning-face-with-sweat: Can we get some photo updates of the system boss?! Needing some motivation as I finally got my setup painted and whatnot. Gotta figure out how to plumb a sump now Lol

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I missed my Tang Thursday photo request thanks to Bs overtime:grinning-face-with-sweat: Can we get some photo updates of the system boss?! Needing some motivation as I finally got my setup painted and whatnot. Gotta figure out how to plumb a sump now Lol
Yes, absolutely. I'm finishing my landscaping project t today. Should have some this evening. Don't overthink the plumbing. I know it can be intimidating, but it is fairly straight forward.

Adam Houston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, absolutely. I'm finishing my landscaping project t today. Should have some this evening. Don't overthink the plumbing. I know it can be intimidating, but it is fairly straight forward.
Right on, looking forward to it!! I bought a used setup with plumbing included but it seems like the previous owner had three drain lines and 1 return. Is that normal or should I have 2 return lines?

OP
OP
Fish Styx

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right on, looking forward to it!! I bought a used setup with plumbing included but it seems like the previous owner had three drain lines and 1 return. Is that normal or should I have 2 return lines?
Yup, normal for a Bean Animal setup. As long as the return can handle the head from your pump, you're good to go. I would tee it off for added flow.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back