Orbit Marine IC PRO Dual LED

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Still deciding on lights for our mixed 75g. It's looking like our Ocean Revive lights are on an indefinite backorder for the time being.

So, I've been looking at other options. We are wanting to eventually do some acros, anemones, montis, mostly soft corals but some higher demanding ones eventually.

Would this light be sufficient for these? This is definitely the style I like.

Our other possibility is a Reefbreeders Photon V2+, but that's really pushing our budget.

Thanks!

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Current USA Orbit Marine IC Dual LED PRO Bleutooth 4338 72" on a 125 gallon tank. This model is more intense than the other Marine Orbit product Current sells, due both to the use of two strips, and different LEDs than in the single strip version.

If you have the Dual IC Pro, the PAR ratings are higher than the ones for the single orbit marine. See below, also from the current-usa website.

1610726360264.png

This is what I have. I recently rented a PAR meter and found these measurements to be fairly accurate. I'm just getting started with corals now, so I don't have enough experience to give you a hands on review. Based on what I intend to put in the tank and the suggested PAR for those species, I believe the duals will work.

PAR VALUES: Current-USA Orbit IC Pro Dual 72" over Aqueon 125 gallon rimmed Tank ( with clear 1/4" mesh cover)

1611092840975.png

Vines_FLReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the 48" dual pro for a month and a half on a 120 gallon reef tank. I do really like the light once I got used to the bluetooth settings. I have a really high rock wall so probably why it's working for me, although I am looking to supplement with a true UV spectrum. I have Duncans, GSP, 4 rock flower anemones, 2 zoa colonies, clove polyp, Acan, Favia, Candy Cane, and a couple lepestra the LFS threw in for me. Duncans, GSP, Anems, Zoas are all doing great. Everything else is maintaining but not seeing much change in them. I expected the Favia and Candy to have a little more puff to them so that's why I think it isn't enough even though they are at the top. With my tank location I really want sleek bar lights and no hang overs so I am looking at two options.
1. Supplement with this bar from 21led.com
https://www.21ledusa.com/aquarium_led_reefbar_pro_44_ultra_actinic_p/rbpua44.htm
2. Rip and replace with this.
https://www.stevesleds.com/SPS-Grade-LED-Upgrade-System--44-54-tanks_p_178.html

Option 1 is a little more favorable for the cost and I can slide it right down between the two existing. If anyone has any experience with either of these companies or these lights I would appreciate some feedback.

I have some more Zoas and a Ricordea arriving tomorrow and want a Frogspawn or Hammer but won't go much further until I decide on which direction to go.

Hope this helps
Jason

IMG_1089_crop.jpg IMG_1092_crop.jpg

Last edited:

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Still deciding on lights for our mixed 75g. It's looking like our Ocean Revive lights are on an indefinite backorder for the time being.

So, I've been looking at other options. We are wanting to eventually do some acros, anemones, montis, mostly soft corals but some higher demanding ones eventually.

Our other possibility is a Reefbreeders Photon V2+, but that's really pushing our budget.

Thanks!
Not even close. Not for acros, not for nemmies. Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe montis. Maaaaaaaaaaaybe.

Vines_FLReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank
I just went and looked up the Photon V2+ and now I am completely undecided. Those seem like the best choice now!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Our other possibility is a Reefbreeders Photon V2+, but that's really pushing our
71vjLrkA2CL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Heres the catch besides the lowish par.
Diodes are lensed 90 degrees so w/ your 75's 18" width and low mounting height your upper tank light spread is weak.

Placement if hardscape and coral species would be key

mjleffler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these two over my 20IM pennisula and they’re definitely enough for softies and LPS, and I’m slowly trying SPS (only at the very top of my rockwork). So far I’ve seen decent growth with montis and bird nest, and my red planet acro and aquasd Reddit Millie have seen slow growth but beginning to encrust. Not sure if it’s only a lighting issue as my alk has been low (6.5) and I’ve struggled to get it up (only dosing kalk through my ATO). I’d say possible for easier SPS but if I had to start over I’d probably splurge a little more in terms of lighting. But overall I like them (orbit marine IC pro dual)
16D818D3-06D7-406D-8C45-AE5C1FC6B070.jpeg 02F391C4-D6C4-4870-AA92-03B1FF576049.jpeg A25CE2B4-06FF-4C52-9EB0-C4023564FDDC.jpeg 6269C7CF-E1CD-45AC-944E-84EC96002851.jpeg

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys have me worried. I have the Current USA IC Pro Dual light bars on my 24 gallon cube (18x18x18). No corals yet, but it sounds like I'll need something close to the power of the sun right over my tank if I want them to thrive and grow at all.

As it is, these lights are so bright at 100% it washes out all contrast and color of everything. Looks like a square fireball in my living room. Not very attractive at all. Apparently, the consensus here is this is not powerful enough to grow corals.

Every other tank I see on R2R and elsewhere (including my LFS) with thriving corals seem to have subdued blue lighting. What am I missing?

Vines_FLReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys have me worried. I have the Current USA IC Pro Dual light bars on my 24 gallon cube (18x18x18). No corals yet, but it sounds like I'll need something close to the power of the sun right over my tank if I want them to thrive and grow at all.

As it is, these lights are so bright at 100% it washes out all contrast and color of everything. Looks like a square fireball in my living room. Not very attractive at all. Apparently, the consensus here is this is not powerful enough to grow corals.

Every other tank I see on R2R and elsewhere (including my LFS) with thriving corals seem to have subdued blue lighting. What am I missing?
What are your light settings? Maybe you have the whites up too bright. It's not that you can't grow corals with the light you just have to be careful about what corals you are choosing to put in the tank. You can PM me if you want to.

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your light settings? Maybe you have the whites up too bright. It's not that you can't grow corals with the light you just have to be careful about what corals you are choosing to put in the tank. You can PM me if you want to.
I haven't really settled on a specific set of light settings yet. I have no corals because I want to be sure I can establish and maintain solid parameters with water quality with FOWLR first. Right now I have my daylight settings to 50% blue, 10% white, 10% red, 0% green just because I like the look and my fish and CUC seem happy. Obviously once I start introducing corals (in about a month hopefully) I'll have to be more cognizant of the settings.

My comment was primarily due to those who say these Current USA Dual Orbit Marine light bars are inadequate for thriving corals.

Vines_FLReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't really settled on a specific set of light settings yet. I have no corals because I want to be sure I can establish and maintain solid parameters with water quality with FOWLR first. Right now I have my daylight settings to 50% blue, 10% white, 10% red, 0% green just because I like the look and my fish and CUC seem happy. Obviously once I start introducing corals (in about a month hopefully) I'll have to be more cognizant of the settings.

My comment was primarily due to those who say these Current USA Dual Orbit Marine light bars are inadequate for thriving corals.
My daytime settings are 100% blue, 50% white, 74% red, and 7% green and I have softies and LPS that are doing good in my 120g. I wouldn't say you can't grow corals with it because my Torch and Duncans are doing great on bottom. You just want to start conservative and stay away from SPS. Even though I do have an Acan but he is at the top of my tank.

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They already went with an Orbit light and the one they went with from what I see is way ahead of Fluval but doesn't compare to the Reefbreeders. It's more in line with the Prime 16HD, imagine they needed at least 2 of those for that 75g. Should be okay if they don't have high light demanding corals or nems on the sandbed. The Reefbreeders Photon 48-V2+ is way more powerful but slightly more expensive depending on pricing you find. Although probably worth the extra all day long unless you don't need the extra lighting power.

Edit: Although with reefbreeders going for pro or upgrading it so you can use the app on your phone would be handy. Remote works just fine just stresses the tank inhabitants every time you adjust it.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back