orchid dottyback aggressive?

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, so on may 9th i got a really small captive bred orchid dottyback. in my lfs, it was very skittish and hid behind stuff a lot. when I added it to my tank, I didn't see it for the first few days except like once when it ate. yesterday, I saw it come out a little bit, but I also noticed a small chunk missing from my clownfish's top fin. now the orchid is very small and so is the clown. they are both in a 10 gallon rn but I plan on upgrading to a 20 long. is it possible the orchid did something? i also saw a small nick in my clownfish's lower fin but I thought i was being paranoid as at the time, the orchid didn't come out from the rocks. anyway, do you think the orchid is attacking the clownfish? i am fine with returning the captive bred orxhid and getting like a firefish or something, I bought the orchid on impulse tbh.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, so on may 9th i got a really small captive bred orchid dottyback. in my lfs, it was very skittish and hid behind stuff a lot. when I added it to my tank, I didn't see it for the first few days except like once when it ate. yesterday, I saw it come out a little bit, but I also noticed a small chunk missing from my clownfish's top fin. now the orchid is very small and so is the clown. they are both in a 10 gallon rn but I plan on upgrading to a 20 long. is it possible the orchid did something? i also saw a small nick in my clownfish's lower fin but I thought i was being paranoid as at the time, the orchid didn't come out from the rocks. anyway, do you think the orchid is attacking the clownfish? i am fine with returning the captive bred orxhid and getting like a firefish or something, I bought the orchid on impulse tbh.
yep

think firefish would have been better choice.

Often better to research before buying and not act on impulse (been there, done that, so no judgement, totally understand...).

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep

think firefish would have been better choice.

Often better to research before buying and not act on impulse (been there, done that, so no judgement, totally understand...).
When the clown gets older then the bite will be more on the other fish, ime.

j.Zero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there is a chance. I heard that Orchid Dottybacks are the least aggressive of dottybacks but still...
I was actually planning to get one as tankmate for my Clownfish but was suggested to get a Royal Gramma instead.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, orchids are beautiful but have a attitude and will take on bigger fish, or at least mine does. Doesn't take guff from the tang at all

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the clown gets older then the bite will be more on the other fish, ime.
my clowns *love* to bite me when I do water changes or cleaning near their anemones... cute clowns are really mean :(

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back