Orchid dottyback being aggressive

Mcdonalds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my third fish I had added to my 24g about 3-4 months ago is now progressively getting more aggressive to my clownfish (which are close to pairing) and causing other problems, like digging and spitting sand everywhere, and I intend on having corals in a few months so would the sand spitting be a problem? I have a breeder box to maybe make it calm down but it didn’t work when I tired it with a yasha goby that only lived a few days, I don’t know how it died but the dottyback probably didn’t help. Also, the clownfish come first, they are pretty much what made me want a tank and they are being forced into a corner when the dottyback isn’t in its burrow. So should I just bring it back to the store?

Thank you for the help

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my third fish I had added to my 24g about 3-4 months ago is now progressively getting more aggressive to my clownfish (which are close to pairing) and causing other problems, like digging and spitting sand everywhere, and I intend on having corals in a few months so would the sand spitting be a problem? I have a breeder box to maybe make it calm down but it didn’t work when I tired it with a yasha goby that only lived a few days, I don’t know how it died but the dottyback probably didn’t help. Also, the clownfish come first, they are pretty much what made me want a tank and they are being forced into a corner when the dottyback isn’t in its burrow. So should I just bring it back to the store?

Thank you for the help
Sounds normal, the tank is possible too small or not enough LR for the dotty to feel safe

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I would take it back unfortunately. You can find long threads on here in the realm of “fish you most regret buying” “most aggressive fish you’ve owned” etc. Dottyback shows up over and over again. It’s a shame because they’re attractive colorful fish and some folks get lucky, but I don’t see this situation getting better. Prioritize the fish you care the most about.

mackbamf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely agree on the above statements. I would feel fortunate that you only have to dig him out of a 24 gallon and not a larger tank.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dottyback is the only fish to go into the caves and has its burrow. But is my clownfish mainly cowering into the corner a problem?
My clown hangs out in one spot at the top of tank ever since my other clown passed. Clowns are tough skinned and can handle being in a tank with a small bully.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown hangs out in one spot at the top of tank ever since my other clown passed. Clowns are tough skinned and can handle being in a tank with a small bully.
Agreed.

Also, I have a dottyback in each of my tanks, and as long as they have a cave or some space to deem as their own territory, they are pretty chill fish, IME. In my 40g my dottyback will lunge a little at the firefish if he's in her space, and in my 54g the dottyback gets chased by the fairy wrasse. They all still seem happy to me.

Clowns are corner-dwelling freaks anyway, and are likely to shimmy in one corner or another regardless of your dottyback.

YMMV, void where prohibited, look under the cap to see if you've won, see dealer for details.

OP
OP
Mcdonalds

Mcdonalds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed.

Also, I have a dottyback in each of my tanks, and as long as they have a cave or some space to deem as their own territory, they are pretty chill fish, IME. In my 40g my dottyback will lunge a little at the firefish if he's in her space, and in my 54g the dottyback gets chased by the fairy wrasse. They all still seem happy to me.

Clowns are corner-dwelling freaks anyway, and are likely to shimmy in one corner or another regardless of your dottyback.

YMMV, void where prohibited, look under the cap to see if you've won, see dealer for details.
Yes I notice that, they love my thermometer for some reason. But when my dottyback hides after the lights are out it’s usually when my clowns come to the central part of the tank because they aren’t being harassed.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I notice that, they love my thermometer for some reason. But when my dottyback hides after the lights are out it’s usually when my clowns come to the central part of the tank because they aren’t being harassed.
That's typical clownfish behavior, tbh. I strongly suspect that it has nothing to do with the dottyback turning in for the night.

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns hang out in the front all day (and night) with a yellow tang, royal gramma, cardinals, and various other burrowing/hiding fish. I think the key here is that the clowns have had a change in behavior since adding the Dottyback. Question is whether you’re fine with that or not. I personally enjoy the fact that my tank is peaceful and everyone gets along with minimal stress.

OP
OP
Mcdonalds

Mcdonalds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns hang out in the front all day (and night) with a yellow tang, royal gramma, cardinals, and various other burrowing/hiding fish. I think the key here is that the clowns have had a change in behavior since adding the Dottyback. Question is whether you’re fine with that or not. I personally enjoy the fact that my tank is peaceful and everyone gets along with minimal stress.
Yeah I wanted a more so peaceful tank, that’s why I’m debating a possum wrasse. Any opinions on them?

zaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would return it. It took a bit for my percula clownfish to get used to our nano tank. But once it did it always swims up to the front to greet me.

I have a dottyback in my larger tank and it's a model citizen. Only because of my aggressive hippo tang and territorial maroon clowns lol. I do want to remove it though because it keeps going after my CuC

Last edited:

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shame you're having a bad experience with an orchid dottyback. Mine has been nothing but a model citizen in my 22g - he's great friends with my two clowns and firefish. I added him and the firefish together, after the clowns were already paired.

Each fish is unique though, so it's very possible you've just got an extraordinarily temperamental/territorial dottyback. You could try moving to a QT for a week or two, let your clowns settle in more and then reintroduce.

OP
OP
Mcdonalds

Mcdonalds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shame you're having a bad experience with an orchid dottyback. Mine has been nothing but a model citizen in my 22g - he's great friends with my two clowns and firefish. I added him and the firefish together, after the clowns were already paired.

Each fish is unique though, so it's very possible you've just got an extraordinarily temperamental/territorial dottyback. You could try moving to a QT for a week or two, let your clowns settle in more and then reintroduce.
I could put it into a breeder box but it didn’t work the last time. No other tanks either.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back