Orchid Dottyback bitten after 2 new fish added - with pictures

bwomac44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an juvenile Orchid Dottyback in my 29 gallon for a few weeks now.

I added a juvenile Flame Hawkfish and a juvenile Hi Fin Red Banded Goby 3 days ago.

My Dottyback looks like he got bit on the face and on the tail fin (pictures below). Which fish did this?

I have not seen any aggression from the Flame Hawk, but I've read that occasionally you get a bad one that kills fish. The flame is a juvenile, but is much larger than my juvenile dottyback.
I have seen some territorial display from the Banded Goby toward the Dottyback, as the Dottyback hangs out in the Goby's new territory, but the goby is a little guy and I'd be somewhat surprised if he damaged the dottyback like that.

I'm thinking the Orchid will heal up fine, as long as he does not keep getting messed with. All the fish seem to get along fine, so I'm hoping it was maybe just some initial hierarchy dominance quarrel that can happen after the first few days of adding new fish. All the fish are eating, look healthy, and I have not seen any fighting. I am not adding any more fish to this tank.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

First two pics show a bite to face and a bite to tail fin:
IMG_0716.jpg
IMG_0705.jpg

Whole group photo:
IMG_0669.jpg

Last edited:

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless it was a scratch with the rocks, I also put the flame hawk as the main suspect, even if it's a scratch wound maybe the flame hawk could scare the Pseudochromis, I guess there are no more fish in this tank why you haven't mentioned them.

OP
OP
bwomac44

bwomac44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless it was a scratch with the rocks, I also put the flame hawk as the main suspect, even if it's a scratch wound maybe the flame hawk could scare the Pseudochromis, I guess there are no more fish in this tank why you haven't mentioned them.
These are the only 3 fish in the tank.
I was thinking I shouldn't add any more fish to keep down bioload and stress/aggression due to overcrowding.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the only 3 fish in the tank.
I was thinking I shouldn't add any more fish to keep down bioload and stress/aggression due to overcrowding.
It really depends on the fish and many other factors. I’ve had up to a dozen small fish in a 25-gallon that all got along fine.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless it gets worse (redness or "rotting"), I'd say the fish should be fine. As to the culprit, the flame hawk is my bet but I imagine tension will calm between them.

Back