Orchid dottyback - injury or disease?

crazyclownlady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new orchid dottyback has a gash on his side after having him for a week. I’m not sure if he scraped it on the rock that he wedges himself behind, or whether it is some kind of disease. I saw the emerald crab picking at the wound so I removed the crabs. He is in the tank alone, for observation, and the tank has not had other fish for months.
The fish is eating and acting normally.
my quarantine tank is now available if I need to treat him. https://youtube.com/shorts/vK5JDSTABxw?feature=share

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video is not clear enough to get a good view of the fish. Any way to get a crisper image?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My new orchid dottyback has a gash on his side after having him for a week. I’m not sure if he scraped it on the rock that he wedges himself behind, or whether it is some kind of disease. I saw the emerald crab picking at the wound so I removed the crabs. He is in the tank alone, for observation, and the tank has not had other fish for months.
my quarantine tank is now available if I need to treat him. https://youtube.com/shorts/vK5JDSTABxw?feature=share
Can’t see anything in video
Any still pics under white lighting?

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see what looks to be a large patch/scrape along the side shown in the video, but it is difficult to tell if it is a superficial wound or something more severe. It would be helpful to have a closer/still shot, as mentioned above. Are the scales intact? My concern would be it getting infected- you may have to treat it then.

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good treatment options here if it is an infection from injury.

OP
OP
crazyclownlady

crazyclownlady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope these photos help

Attachments

• AB6ACF84-5362-4947-AB96-42CD799BA8C2.png
    AB6ACF84-5362-4947-AB96-42CD799BA8C2.png
    888.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 3ED8F0AC-A1FB-47C4-A56C-87F2246E9590.png
    3ED8F0AC-A1FB-47C4-A56C-87F2246E9590.png
    976.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 13DE2ACA-A9B4-4669-B874-B13942AA1488.png
    13DE2ACA-A9B4-4669-B874-B13942AA1488.png
    978.7 KB · Views: 50
  • D900C9EF-9AD1-4AFA-9473-70F5DCF9FF5F.png
    D900C9EF-9AD1-4AFA-9473-70F5DCF9FF5F.png
    942.5 KB · Views: 53

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like a bacterial infection. I would move it to QT since you have one available and begin treating it with antibiotics.

@Jay Hemdal, can you confirm?

OP
OP
crazyclownlady

crazyclownlady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Canada with limited access to medications.

i have erythromycin, metroplex, ruby rally pro, kordon rid ick plus, cupramine, copper power, prazipro, paraguard, stress guard, pima fix, betta fix.

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably use the Ruby Reef Rally. I’d still move it to the QT so you can observe better and won’t be treating as large of a water volume.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My concern here is that this a new fish. Also, dottybacks live in coral caves, they are well adapted to that and don't just get "scraped" by rocks as a general course. This species is one that is known to develop Uronema infections when first acquired. There is no way without a microscope to tell Uronema from bacterial infections - in fact, in many cases, the lesions that involve Uronema have a bacterial secondary infection.

I see you are in Canada - do you have any fish medications on hand? Uronema isn't treatable (sorry!) but since we can't confirm that anyway, treating with antibiotics would be a good idea.

Here is a link to an article I wrote on Uronema:

Jay

OP
OP
crazyclownlady

crazyclownlady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern here is that this a new fish. Also, dottybacks live in coral caves, they are well adapted to that and don't just get "scraped" by rocks as a general course. This species is one that is known to develop Uronema infections when first acquired. There is no way without a microscope to tell Uronema from bacterial infections - in fact, in many cases, the lesions that involve Uronema have a bacterial secondary infection.

I see you are in Canada - do you have any fish medications on hand? Uronema isn't treatable (sorry!) but since we can't confirm that anyway, treating with antibiotics would be a good idea.

Here is a link to an article I wrote on Uronema:

Jay
Thanks for your help, Jay. The medications I have on hand are listed in this thread a couple messages up.

i have a 40x-2000x microscope on the way (it might arrive today).

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help, Jay. The medications I have on hand are listed in this thread a couple messages up.

i have a 40x-2000x microscope on the way (it might arrive today).

I would go with the Ruby Reef, or maybe that plus erythromycin.

Doing a skin scrape on a small fish like this is tough, but if you see any motile protozoans, then that confirms Uronema.

Jay

OP
OP
crazyclownlady

crazyclownlady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the Ruby Reef, or maybe that plus erythromycin.

Doing a skin scrape on a small fish like this is tough, but if you see any motile protozoans, then that confirms Uronema.

Jay

ruby reef as a daily bath or dosed into the QT with the erythromycin?

OP
OP
crazyclownlady

crazyclownlady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated with ruby reef rally and erythromycin.

Fishy is doing well after first day of treatment. He’s very active and he’s eating. The wound appears to be the same (or maybe even smaller) than yesterday.

fingers crossed.

OP
OP
crazyclownlady

crazyclownlady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I just checked on Fishy and the wound has almost completely healed. I can just barely see the discolouration from where the wound used to be.

thanks everyone for your help. Today is the last round of antibiotics and its looking like he’s going to pull through.

i still don’t know what caused the wound. Like i said, I did see the emerald crab picking at the wound but the fish was approaching the crab and letting this happen. In fact he was doing a twitching motion at the crab until the crab started picking at him. Then he would swim away, come back and repeat the process. Very odd.

OP
OP
crazyclownlady

crazyclownlady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He ended up getting another wound on his other side (with no other inhabitants in the tank) and died a day later.

i looked at the injury under microscope at 25x10 and this is what i see:

any idea what he died of?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He ended up getting another wound on his other side (with no other inhabitants in the tank) and died a day later.

i looked at the injury under microscope at 25x10 and this is what i see:

any idea what he died of?

Definitely a protozoan infection, probably Uronema. sorry!

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back