Order of Attack For Dino's and GHA

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read through at least 50 algae threads and at this point my head is spinning and I'm not sure what to do. My tank is a 60 cube that is almost 1 year old and over the past 6 weeks I've developed both dino's (no microscope so unsure of type but it has all of the looks and characteristics) and GHA and from all of the different posts I'm starting to doubt myself so I thought it might be worthwhile seeing if others might have a suggestion of how to proceed. I used dry CaribSea shapes to create the rock structure and have a sand bed about 2" deep. I have the ability to create a ton of flow in the tank from 4 gyres and 1 mp10 but I run things at 50% max so it has a fair amount but nothing absurd since I only have some softies, mushrooms, and zoa's.

In the sump I run:
Klir DI-4 roller
Bubble Magnus 7
Cannister filter with approx 1 cup of Rox Carbon
Marinepure balls in the sump and in a a Fijicube refugium that hangs off the side of the sump
UV sterilizer that pulls and dumps back into the sump (acquired after initial build and I didn't have the stomach to plumb it into the return line)

What I'm looking at now are dino's on the sand that go away a bit at night but are back strong the next day even if I siphon them out. I also have GHA starting to take a foothold .

The current parameters are:
Temp: 79.8
Sal: 1.026
PH: 8.25
DKH: 8.2
Cal: 430
NO3: 5
PO4: 0.01
MG: 1350

The above parameters are either via Hanna checkers, Nyos test kits, or the Apex probes and have been fairly stable, but about a week ago I decided to bump the temp a little bit to 80 and started adding a couple capfuls of Microbacter 7 daily for the first week and then a single capful over the last week. I was hoping the Microbaccter might help with the dino's, but I'm not seeing any improvement. Over these 2 weeks the alk consumption has increased (maybe due to the temp?) and my NO3 and PO4 have both dropped. Two weeks ago the NO3 was around 12 and the PO4 was around .06

I may have this completely wrong but it seems like the drop in NO3 and PO4 is tied to the Microbacter and that both are also perhaps being consumed by the GHA. The PO4 at this point is almost bottomed out so I'm obviously worried about what additional algae drama that will bring, but it seems like dosing PO4 or taking other natural steps such as reducing the amount of time the skimmer runs or removing the rollermat will all just add more fuel to the GHA fire.

My other thought was to add more snails but I have a Valentin puffer than the family is pretty fond of so that route could get expensive if he decides to pick them all off over a few days. The fish bioload on the tank is not too much (2 clowns, 2 diamond gobies, and the Valentini). Another hit or miss option might be a lawnmover blenny but from my past experience they seem to be inconsistent with regard to whether they like GHA.

I'll add one more caveat to this problem....I build the tall structure in place in the tank so I cannot remove it to scrub the rocks and would prefer to not have to pull and siphon algae since that's never worked for me in older tanks.

I feel like I'm on the precipice of trying a lot of different things at once but understand that is not how to effectively solve a problem.

So, what would you suggest I do?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you are correct in that the Microbacter7 is helping to reduce your phosphates. If you could get access to a microscope to see what exact type of dino you have, it would be most helpful since the treatments can vary a bit.

I would reduce the skimmer and any chaeto present to help bring the PO4 back up a bit to maintain around 5-10ppm nitrates and 0.06-0.10 PO4, though. It may cause the GHA to take off a bit, but that is easier to control than dinos (if they get a strong hold on the tank).

Another attack would be to move the UV pump into the DT and then also have it return into the DT rather than within the sump. This gives much better attack on dinos that enter the water column than having it only in the sump.

Blackouts work somewhat for dinos...but the timeframe depends on the type. Many can do 3-4 days and knock back the dinos well enough to start controlling with other measures. I've had small cell amphidinium dinos that took 9-10 days blackout to control.

Adding biodiversity to the tank really helps as well. Many are reporting excellent fights against dinos with daily dosing of phytoplankton, especially if you already have a large copepod/amphipod population. If no pods, then adding them will help.

Snails are a big help for controlling algae...but the puffer will see it as a buffet. This is one reason I will not have a puffer... But, you may look at either a Lawnmower Blenny or even a tang to start helping to control the algae growths.

I actually resolved my dino problem using the Elegant Corals Dino/Cyano recipe. It is very involved, but it worked well for me. There is a big thread on it on R2R so you can search for that and take a look.

OP
OP
J

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Idoc , I had forgotten about phyto dosing and how that might help.

If I reduce skimming won't I also be looking at a rise in NO3? I do have some Neophos so I wonder if it might be better to leave the skimmer running and dose some PO4.

I'm wavering on keeping on the Valentini. He's a super cool fish but obviously limits the options for tankmates. Even though I've had multiple tanks in the past I'm not sure I'm up for setting up another one just for him. Getting him was a gamble since some people end up with one that barely touches their cuc but I was not as fortunate. He may have to go but I also might try buying a small batch of replacement snails to see how long they last.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Idoc , I had forgotten about phyto dosing and how that might help.

If I reduce skimming won't I also be looking at a rise in NO3? I do have some Neophos so I wonder if it might be better to leave the skimmer running and dose some PO4.

I'm wavering on keeping on the Valentini. He's a super cool fish but obviously limits the options for tankmates. Even though I've had multiple tanks in the past I'm not sure I'm up for setting up another one just for him. Getting him was a gamble since some people end up with one that barely touches their cuc but I was not as fortunate. He may have to go but I also might try buying a small batch of replacement snails to see how long they last.

Yes, shutting down the skimmer may also increase your nitrates some as well. If you stay in the 5-10ppm NO3, you should be good, though. But, only dosing some phosphates will also work. Basically, you just want to up those nutrients slightly...many different ways to do it...just do it slowly, though.

The puffer will be a difficult decision...but I like snails, shrimp, etc... in my tank, so a puffer is a no-go for me.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Idoc! If you want you could wait till you find out what type of dinos you have before re-plumbing your UV but it certainly wouldn't hurt anything to do it now. If your dinos are ostreopsis or coolia it will help a lot.

Dosing bacterial cultures with dinos is a very fine line to walk. While the increased diversity/competition is helpful, you run the risk of bottoming out nutrients which is the absolute worse thing you can do. Don't worry if your NO3 get's up over 10 (mine is normally 10-15), there are some awesome SPS tanks with NO3 much higher than that.

TrevN64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love MB7 - I could shout it from the roof tops.

I may have read past it - What are you feeding the puffer? Dry or Frozen?

I found to spite some opinions - Dino's don't care about flow - they will spread anywhere they have real estate available.

OP
OP
J

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Idoc , @saltyhog , and @TrevN64

I'll order an inexpensive microscope today since it will come in handy some other time I'm sure. In the meantime I'm going to cycle the skimmer on an off several times each day to reduce the total run time to 12hrs for now. I'm also going to dose a small bit of Neophos for a couple of days to see if I can get that number to move upwards a bit. As much as I know removing the rollermat will likely have a more immediate impact I'm going to leave it in place because I just hate changing socks and cups.

I also popped into my LFS and they had a small lawnmower blenny so I brought him home. He's smaller than I would have preferred but maybe I can make him fat :)

As much as I like the valentini I think he's going to have to be removed from the tank, but I'm not sure if I'll move him to another tank or see if the lfs would like him. He's just really cool so it's a bummer to take him out. @TrevN64 I feed The valentini Hikari half shell clams and he loves them. Some days I only drop one of those in the tank because the other fish will also eat it. He has no interest in any type of frozen cubes, flake or pellets. I've also fed little neck clams from the local fish store and he likes those too but even the smallest littlenecks are much bigger than the Hikari clams so it can take a full day for the tank to consume a single littleneck.

OP
OP
J

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the valentini eating snails? I would really love a Toby puffer.....blue spots are sooooo cool.
Yes, he seems to have eaten all of the snails where the base of the shell is less than the size of a quarter in diameter. They are a very inquisitive fish which makes it easy to get attached. Sort of like a puppy when you walk by the tank.

porawhora

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No advice here- just dealing with GHA and dinos in my also just over a year tank here for the ride my friend!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back