Ordered an ELOS 120XL with Quiet Drain 2, it came with "Quiet Drain 3" surprise?

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking forward to the ELOS Quiet Drain 2, especially with the dual return (I'm running the tank as a peninsula, so was going to run half of the flow from somewhere in the middle of the tank with the bottom return). When I took delivery of the tank last week, the overflow looks completely different. The instructions even said Quiet Drain II.

I reached out to Francois at ELOS, and he simply said that I'm a lucky owner of a Quiet Drain 3, and that it has a single return and bigger plumbing. I haven't gotten any information or instructions back on what the specifications of a Quiet Drain 3 is, so no idea what the flow capabilities etc. are. He never got back to me on the specifications of it, nor instructions, so I'm looking to see if anyone here knows.

I'm not in love with getting this kind of surprise, and I can't find anything about it.

Does anyone have this "Quiet Drain 3" and can share some information about it?

Anyway, here are some photos of it (I also got a left-hand overflow option, hence the placement difference):

_DSC3391.jpg

_DSC3393.jpg

_DSC3394.jpg

_DSC3395.jpg

Also, the lid has all sorts of nicks and blemishes. Seems low quality for an ELOS tank honestly:

IMG_8047.jpg

reefbandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t like it fight it and send it back or demand an appropriate discount. You didn’t get what you wanted and what was advertised. If you get nowhere if you paid with a credit card you can always dispute it.

Life is short why settle for something you don’t want.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have been in contact, but haven’t gotten any details yet. Just seeing if anyone else has an ELOS tank that has this overflow with details.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised nobody else has this "Quiet Drain 3," or just those who have it aren't seeing this thread. What a mystery. ELOS hasn't responded in a few days, but it's a Monday so I'll give them a little more time.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had Elos 120, the 90 gallon one back in 2013.
That overflow looks the same from back then.
Maybe bigger buy its still small box tucked in corner.

I loved my tank, clarity and thickness of glass etc
But hated this overflow. It's too small for take enough nutrient out.
My 90 gallon struggled to get all the dirt in that small corner go down.
Hence I had to siphon the tank more.

Now we have coast to coast. Smaller ghost overflow etc. Those styles move a lot of detritus down to sump.
Elos needs to update this.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Elos 120, the 90 gallon one back in 2013.
That overflow looks the same from back then.
Maybe bigger buy its still small box tucked in corner.

I loved my tank, clarity and thickness of glass etc
But hated this overflow. It's too small for take enough nutrient out.
My 90 gallon struggled to get all the dirt in that small corner go down.
Hence I had to siphon the tank more.

Now we have coast to coast. Smaller ghost overflow etc. Those styles move a lot of detritus down to sump.
Elos needs to update this.

OK, but you don't have a more modern ELOS for me to compare overflows with right?

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here is the pic. My tanks craftsmanship was amazing. And I bought it used.
Still it was amazing.

Attachments

• 20130520_171805 1.jpg
    20130520_171805 1.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 67

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No I don't.
Very few buy new Elos here. I don't know why.
There might be some. Give your thread time.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone else I know got an ELOS tank recently, though it was a year ago, and it has a Quiet Drain 2 for sure. Still, nobody with mine. I don't even know how many GPH the drain can handle.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a reply from ELOS, but still no details. What is with all the secrecy and reluctance to tell me what the heck the GPH is? I'm starting to get suspicious something else is going on here. Like did they send me an ancient tank with some old outdated overflow? Are they not admitting how they've gone backwards in overflow design? Are they embarrassed that their previous overflows were actually worse and so they've gone back to this design?

Seriously the weirdest thing ever. I can't believe it. I also am surprised nobody else has this overflow. Maybe I'm the first.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over a month now and still zero information from ELOS about the Quiet Drain 3 that they sent me. This is kind of ridiculous.

Yes, I've talked to them multiple times, and my question is deflected or forgotten. And I keep getting promises of getting sent the information otherwise, but nothing.

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Kinetic, I read that Elos quality has gone downhill as of late. I suppose it is true. I had a 120xl over 10-15 years ago, and the quality was excellent. I can't believe they sent you that overfow cover in that condition. Sad times indeed.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinetic, I read that Elos quality has gone downhill as of late. I suppose it is true. I had a 120xl over 10-15 years ago, and the quality was excellent. I can't believe they sent you that overfow cover in that condition. Sad times indeed.

Hey Maximus! Yep, I had an ELOS 120 about that long ago too! I remember they didn't have the XL version yet, which is why I got the 120 regular, and then I saw yours and was incredibly jealous haha.

I've been planning for this tank for so long now that it feels really sad that it's come to this. I'm crossing my fingers things can still be rectified otherwise I may have to go through the trouble of returning it all and finding something new.

I might go with a CADE peninsula, it's almost as wide... or I'll just go and get a custom made.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over a month now and still zero information from ELOS about the Quiet Drain 3 that they sent me. This is kind of ridiculous.

Yes, I've talked to them multiple times, and my question is deflected or forgotten. And I keep getting promises of getting sent the information otherwise, but nothing.
What information are you looking for exactly?
I had a 120xl with the QD... worked great, no problems. A friend has it now. Again, no problems. I can only assume any redesign, especially when given a new name, has gone through improvements. Time and money doesn't get spent on a redesign/update, and called out, to make things worse.
The real question is... is it working ok for you???

Elos has always been a bit tight lipped on giving out details on the QD design. It's unique to the industry.

Back