Ordering meds to Canada

Hayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, looking for medicated food or other antibiotic treatment for parasites. Is there a product you recommend (form of flagyl or metridozinale) and what is the easiest way to get it to Canada? Thanks!

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1. There's always a chance it will get confiscated at the border, however, speaking from experience I've been able to order a couple copper based products from Amazon. Takes a couple months to get here, but it did.

I have also found shopping at little, hole in the wall type stores you can sometimes find the odd gem that made it through. At various stores, I've found malachite green, methlyene blue, cuprimine and prazi pro, all brand new. Still hoping to find metro/general cure one of these days.

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be a Debbie Downer here, but you cannot legally import many of these medications into Canada, and enthusiasts should know this -- and be aware of the risks involved -- before even thinking of going down this route.
prazipro, chlorquine phosphate, cupramine are not on the restricted list. Metronidazole is on the list, but there are other related antibiotics available such as nitazoxanide.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
prazipro, chlorquine phosphate, cupramine are not on the restricted list. Metronidazole is on the list, but there are other related antibiotics available such as nitazoxanide.
I just spoke with a Canadian vendor a few days ago, and he said that Health Canada was "getting after them" for selling chloroquine phosphate. No Canadian business lists Prazipro for sale, and I wouldn't assume that it's available for lawful purchase without contacting Health Canada. Neither copper nor methylene blue-based products seem to be "restricted", but then again, I haven't contacted Health Canada myself to confirm. Reef Rally may or may not fall into the "restricted" group but since I can't get a full ingredient list, I really couldn't say. It's a complicated picture with little clarity.

And let me be clear: I very carefully chose the word "medication" in my caution. "Treatments", and what those might be, seem to be in a state of legal flux.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just order from @Bulk Reef Supply , it's great shopping from one Canadian to another.
secret smell GIF

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m Canadian but this makes me happy I no longer live in Canada......

Now the better question is: Why are medical drugs for aquarium fish such a concern for the Canadian government, while actually harmful drugs for humans are legal / semi-legal? Wouldn’t their priorities be better focused on addressing substance abuse and homelessness in downtown Vancouver, maybe, for a start?

Nope. They’d rather spend all their pettiness on making getting fish meds a pain the ****.

I now live in China where most of the fish meds talked about here and elsewhere have to be imported from halfway across the world, but so far nobody seems to care about them.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m Canadian but this makes me happy I no longer live in Canada......

Now the better question is: Why are medical drugs for aquarium fish such a concern for the Canadian government, while actually harmful drugs for humans are legal / semi-legal? Wouldn’t their priorities be better focused on addressing substance abuse and homelessness in downtown Vancouver, maybe, for a start?

Nope. They’d rather spend all their pettiness on making getting fish meds a pain the ****.

I now live in China where most of the fish meds talked about here and elsewhere have to be imported from halfway across the world, but so far nobody seems to care about them.
There's certainly room for reasoned political debate on this issue, but I don't see how political diatribes about the legality of drugs in Canada, in general, are going to assist with sharing information about treatment options for Canadians with sick fish. There are better venues for political activism.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m another southern Ontario reefer. Have gotten copper safe twice this year! Also have general cure and prazipro on the way. Also have gotten prazipro before. If I didn’t have at least copper I wouldn’t have what I have today

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back