OrionN's Anemones Collection and a few thought about various anemone species

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody,
I am new here but I have keep aquarium for ever. I stared with salt water aquarium back in 1980. Clownfish and Anemone was my first love. I killed my first anemone (and the tank raised Ocellaris) way back in 1980. There were not a lot of information back then. I did not buy another anemone until 1997. In the between time, I keep various types of salt water fish. Prior to keep a reef tank in 1997, I have keep semi-reef tank with reverse flow under-gravel filter. Keep Caulerpa algae and various fish. I did not keep full blown reef tank until 1997.
After all these times, I am still attached and love clownfish, especially A. percula, and Anemones. I have a small collections of Anemones under my care, from a S. gigantea that is 12 years in captivity (most of these time under the care of another reefer) to a Red Haddoni that I have own for the last few weeks. The anemone that under my direct care the longest is a Green H. malu, going on 9 years.

The following are soem of the pictures of some of my anemones

Green H. malu. With a Snowflake A. ocellaris
attachment.php

Purple H. malu. This particular Malu was lost in a tank crack. The purple one is the female and the green is the male. I got them to spawn and got fertilized eggs inside the Purple Malu but my tank crack right after that and I lost the female. I have try to spawn them ever since but so far not able to locate another female. I got two Male Malu at this time. H. malu sexually reproduce by internal fertilization and release fully formed babies anemones but the mother. I think we can raise these guy in captivity. You can see the fertilized eggs insider the purple Malu tentacles. It is really too bad that I lost this anemone, or else we/I would be so far ahead in sexually reproduce H. malu
attachment.php

Another species that reproduced by internal fertilization and release fully formed babies is S. gigantea. Over the last three years, I was able to collected three specimen of this species. One multicolor, one Purple and one green. The green Gigantea hav ea lot characteristic of Haddoni carpet and I am thinking that It could be a hybrid Gigantea/Haddoni. I am putting a large tank together and see if I can get them to spawn. Will see what I will get out of these.
Multicolor Gigantea, I got this one about 12 months. Initially he was tiny and bleached but with good care he is quite a looker

Initial picture of the multicolor Gigantea
attachment.php

Current picture
attachment.php

Initial picture of the purple anemone
attachment.php

Current picture of the purple Gigantea
attachment.php

Pictures of the green Gigantea. This anemone have been in captivity for 11 or 12 years. He does have characteristic of Haddoni but clearly is a Gigantea. The Gigantea in the back is the Multicolor Gigantea before I move him to higher light.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I have keep Magnifica in the past but right now I do not have one. I also have several Haddoni carpets. Here are their pictures
Blue Haddoni
attachment.php

attachment.php

Green Haddoni
attachment.php

Red Haddoni
attachment.php

I also raise some baby clownfish Here are the Onyx babies
attachment.php

attachment.php

And the SnowOnyx
attachment.php

attachment.php

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrong picture on the inital picture of the Multicolor Gigantea. This is the correct picture. It seem I cannot edit my posts
attachment.php

Duffam3434

**TASTE THE RAINBOW**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to get into Breeding them.. I have a Extreme Snowflake pair! Id love to see them start spawning!! Great Looking Giganteas too!!! Your Clowns seem to Love them!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice anemones!

BattleAthletics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never really was into anemones but these gigantea make me want to dive into getting some kind of anemone when I setup my 40 breeder.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Haddonis Reef

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to say that anemones is what got me into the hobbie also. Glad to see ya over here and norton RC that place has become well a topic for another time! Awesome to see if u could get Haddonis to reproduce, I currently have a blue and a red, how do u tell male from female?

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot tell a male from a female Haddoni. I have to wait until they spawn. I guess we can biopsy the gametes to tell. I cannot see the games through the column since most of the time the column is hidden by the sand.

I got few more anemones. Currently I care for the following host anemones
2 BTA
2 Malu
1 Magnifica
3 Haddoni
4 Gigatnea
1 Gigantea/Haddoni hybrid

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back