Orlando

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello Floridians, with Orlando being the center piece for some really nice store front reefing location why in the world do we not have a reef club? How many in the central Florida or surrounding areas would join and actually make this happen!?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an Orlando Club in this list. Have you tried them?

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have an RC page as well but doesn’t look like it gets much traffic.
Been awhile but I believe ORCA is the local club and also has their own site.
Don’t think there’s much activity there either.

OP
OP
Redfoxtang

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea I scrolled through most of those pages and it looks like ORCA went to OREO. Still think there’s not much interest which is kinda disappointing since I do believe we have a good amount of reef keepers in the Orlando/Metro areas!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Redfoxtang , don't feel bad, SW Florida had a booming club and although it's still functioning, they only get a handful of members plus a few board members to a meeting with a quality, out of town speaker!

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I scrolled through most of those pages and it looks like ORCA went to OREO. Still think there’s not much interest which is kinda disappointing since I do believe we have a good amount of reef keepers in the Orlando/Metro areas!

The Reefers are there, not sure what’s happening.
I’ve noticed the same thing in Ohio area that I moved from that doesn’t get much activity anymore; they used to have a lot of traffic and participation.

I keep trying to stir things up in West Palm Beach area that once had an active club. Hobbyists are around and there’s been talk of a get together but nothing so far.

Last edited:

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Redfoxtang , don't feel bad, SW Florida had a booming club and although it's still functioning, they only get a handful of members plus a few board members to a meeting with a quality, out of town speaker!

Maybe we need a Southern Florida Club, could beet in alligator alley lol

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our club has lots of paid members (close to 100 I think), but hardly any show up at meetings (10 to 20 maybe) and none offer to take on jobs running the club (except for a very few special people). They have a halfway decent website/forum. But it's mostly used for selling stuff now. It used to be really active.

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also pretty bummed at the lack of active clubs for Florida-- I moved here from north Alabama, where I belonged to a highly active club. : /

I know we can't do much with COVID going on, but I'll happily attend any meetups I can once all of this is over!

OP
OP
Redfoxtang

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would also attend any meet ups and help with setups if I had to. Guess the main problem is having a place to host at a remote location.

saltnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. It would be wonderful to get together with some reefers in the Orlando area. I still follow ORCA which was very active when I first joined after moving to Florida. Now I follow their group on face book. I also belonged to a different club that was also in the Orlando area but it no longer exists. When I was in MA I belonged to Boston Reefers and we had some great meetings and some members I became friends with we used to get together once and awhile on a Saturday and go LFS hopping, which sometimes got us some great deals because it was like a mini group buy. We would grab lunch some where and some times go to some ones house and check out their tank or tanks. When the covid19 lets up lets try and get some thing going.

OP
OP
Redfoxtang

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi everyone. It would be wonderful to get together with some reefers in the Orlando area. I still follow ORCA which was very active when I first joined after moving to Florida. Now I follow their group on face book. I also belonged to a different club that was also in the Orlando area but it no longer exists. When I was in MA I belonged to Boston Reefers and we had some great meetings and some members I became friends with we used to get together once and awhile on a Saturday and go LFS hopping, which sometimes got us some great deals because it was like a mini group buy. We would grab lunch some where and some times go to some ones house and check out their tank or tanks. When the covid19 lets up lets try and get some thing going.
That sounds fun. I mean I wouldn’t mind hosting once or twice but I live about an hour from any decent LFS. But we could meet up and go through my tanks which I have 3. Maybe fish diseases or coral/fish care. I’m not sure just spit balling but I think it would be fun. Of course I’m still not sure how many people would be on board with this.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back