Ornaments

deetu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I changed my 20 gallon DIY AIO FOWLR into a fish only tank. I got an Instant Reef Ornament that claimed to have the color throughout but after a few months the paint started peeling on one piece and started disintegrating in another, not only showing white but making my firefish lose it's tail rubbing against it when it hides. I think I lost my scarlet hermit because of it too.
Needless to say, I am afraid that if I get anything different it will happen again. You hear so often of paint peeling off ornaments. Do you think I can spray any new ornaments with Krylon fusion and it will keep? I did that to a small bench for my freshwater tank but I know salt is harsher. The return for my salt was krylon fusion black 4 years ago and still doing well.

2021-09-09 002 001-500.jpg
Looked great when I first got it.
2022-04-22 002 005.jpg
The barnacle started peeling so I let the coraline coat it. The white crumbling is the pink brain and purple rock behind the firefish.

Anyone have any luck with certain brand of ornaments or do you think the Krylon Fusion clear will work?
Thanks for any suggesions

OP
OP
deetu

deetu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not toss the ornaments and add some cheap soft corals, like zoas, xenia, polyps, etc.
I was hesitant to post here because I knew replies like this would come. I don't want any live. I would like to keep it fish only. The AIO has live rock and macro so bio is good.

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Do what You like. Its YOUR TANK. For your info OCEAN AQUARIA has great coral reproductions and You can safe use acrylic Liquitex paint to touch up your corals. I have used that paint for 10 plus years to touch up rocks and other coral reproductions in all my tanks, NEVER had a problem. Good Luck!!!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hesitant to post here because I knew replies like this would come. I don't want any live. I would like to keep it fish only. The AIO has live rock and macro so bio is good.
Hey, whatever floats your boat. But you'll have to look a bit harder and spend a bit more for reef-safe ornaments.

OP
OP
deetu

deetu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Do what You like. Its YOUR TANK. For your info OCEAN AQUARIA has great coral reproductions and You can safe use acrylic Liquitex paint to touch up your corals. I have used that paint for 10 plus years to touch up rocks and other coral reproductions in all my tanks, NEVER had a problem. Good Luck!!!
I had found the Ocean Aquaria site and they look great so good to know that you have used them. And great to know that liquitex is safe. Thank you

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You know, those actually look pretty good for fake corals… that could be a nice solution for a low maintenance FOWLR… How do you avoid algae issues?

OP
OP
deetu

deetu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You know, those actually look pretty good for fake corals… that could be a nice solution for a low maintenance FOWLR… How do you avoid algae issues?

I would take a section out and soak in peroxide/fresh water solution...Little brushing, then rinse with de-chlorinated freshwater. Once back in the tank it will continue to look better.

Back