Ornate Leopard wrasse acting strange

AlgaeCleaner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

We have a recently bought a leopard wrasse, a young one, and put it into our QT together with two hi fin gobys that were bought at the same time. The wrasse did look a bit thin when we bought it, but we decided to risk it since it looked quite active. They have been in the QT for 6 days now. Everyone is eating well (both newly hatched brine shrimp as well as frozen food). We have a bowl of sand in the QT that is sleeps in.

But the wrasse has these episodes of strange swimming, on it's side close to the surface, fast breathing, laying down towards the bottom, pacing back and forth towards the back and getting stuck in the water intake to the sump. This has happen 3 times since we got it but most of the time it is swimming around searching for food and eating well.

At first, we tought it was flukes, so we did a freshwater dip, but nothing came off. Now we are at a loss, should we treat with Prazi anyway, or what could the issue be? The two gobys looks fine, no strange behavior from them so far.

Hard to get a good picture that is not blurry. But can try more if that's needed.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

We have a recently bought a leopard wrasse, a young one, and put it into our QT together with two hi fin gobys that were bought at the same time. The wrasse did look a bit thin when we bought it, but we decided to risk it since it looked quite active. They have been in the QT for 6 days now. Everyone is eating well (both newly hatched brine shrimp as well as frozen food). We have a bowl of sand in the QT that is sleeps in.

But the wrasse has these episodes of strange swimming, on it's side close to the surface, fast breathing, laying down towards the bottom, pacing back and forth towards the back and getting stuck in the water intake to the sump. This has happen 3 times since we got it but most of the time it is swimming around searching for food and eating well.

At first, we tought it was flukes, so we did a freshwater dip, but nothing came off. Now we are at a loss, should we treat with Prazi anyway, or what could the issue be? The two gobys looks fine, no strange behavior from them so far.

Hard to get a good picture that is not blurry. But can try more if that's needed.
A picture of him would be a big help. Are you treating the QT tank at all or just observation only?

OP
OP
AlgaeCleaner

AlgaeCleaner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a picture. It's quite thin behind the head. We have no medication so far in the QT, but ready to go with both copper, TTM or Pratzi if needed.

WrasseOrnate.jpg

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took one out of qt. They do not like copper at lease copper power prazi was good.

Do you have Sand in the qt ?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to agree with Cpschult. I don't see any symptom of obvious illness, save malnutrition. I'd watch for symptoms to surface, but give the little gal a chance to build on some reserves before going into prophyllactic treatments.

~Bruce

OP
OP
AlgaeCleaner

AlgaeCleaner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to agree with Cpschult. I don't see any symptom of obvious illness, save malnutrition. I'd watch for symptoms to surface, but give the little gal a chance to build on some reserves before going into prophyllactic treatments.

Hello, thanks for all the answers. We will keep feeding the little gal ;). Both her and the gobys are still eating well. We have seen one or two flashes towards the bottom, but other than that everything looks alright still. That might be stress / malnutrition, but we will see i guess. We keep watching and report how thing develop.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 122 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back