ORP and PH Probes Incorrect?

Discussion in 'Neptune Systems' started by chrfrancis, May 16, 2018 at 9:24 AM.

1. chrfrancis

chrfrancis Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Hello Everyone,

This is my first time using an Apex and I am currently cycling my new tank. Below is what I am currently seeing after running the Apex for almost a week. Both the PH and ORP seem low, salinity and temp are spot on however after comparing them to my red sea refractometer and lab grade thermometer.

Any ideas, could there be issues with these two probes?

upload_2018-5-16_8-24-20.png

Tags:

2. Hanna Instruments

Hanna Instruments Active Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor Article Contributor

3. chrfrancis

4. Hanna Instruments

Hanna Instruments Active Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor Article Contributor

Did the electrodes come with a cap filled with a solution when it was shipped?

5. chrfrancis

Yep, it did.

6. Hanna Instruments

You could always get more calibration fluid for both the ORP and pH electrode. First clean off the probe with DI water then submerge each probe in their respective solution without entering calibration mode to check if the values are within the electrode's accuracy statement. Just make sure to use fresh calibration buffers.

7. Yati

Yati Active Member Build Thread Contributor

It's going to take a while for ORP to read correctly, it took mine a few weeks it will slowing increase daily but if you're not using ozone that number may not be imperative. As far as your PH is concerned if you calibrated it (more than once) I would trust the lab grade probe over the kit but you can go to you LFS as a 3rd opinion... since you're cycling your tank, I assume there is no stock, so if you have some ph buffer you can dose to see if the probe then read the buffer point and that will tell you for sure... thats another thought..

chrfrancis likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted