ORP range?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

edindubai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run 440 to 460 orp
I'd like to get my levels up. I did notice when I added a couple of cap-fulls of Seachem Prime to the tank the orp reader dropped rapidly from 188 to 84 over about a minute. I presume it is a reducing agent to have that effect.

WARCON

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all these numbers and I still don't know what the recommended level should be.... just got the APEX controller and have been doing reefing for 9 months now. I am not sure what ORP is. I understand what it is on the chemistry level but not sure what it does for a tank. What levels should it be at.... mines at 350 as I type. help please :)

WARCON

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all these numbers and I still don't know what the recommended level should be.... just got the APEX controller and have been doing reefing for 9 months now. I am not sure what ORP is. I understand what it is on the chemistry level but not sure what it does for a tank. What levels should it be at.... mines at 350 as I type. help please :)

Garry Redbourne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I am going to run ozone in my reef tank , I was just wondering what is the right level for orp to be set at on my controller is it 200 or 400 been reading the last thew comments above , so any pointers please would be great

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those asking, from my “readaholic” habits it looks like 200 to 450 seems to be the agreed upon acceptable range.

Mine had been at a constant 350 area until I did a partial water change. It shot up to around 450. I pulled the probe out the next day to clean it but still came back about the same.

upload_2018-12-16_9-53-27.png

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine is 320 to 350 I used to run ozone and had it set at 400 my tank actually looks better without it that high granted when it was that high I never had to clean my glass I think the water was just to clean for lps that hight

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump

Just placed my APEX ORP probe into my new cycling tank (day 13). It's reading 184.....is this normal for it to be so low? Is it because I'm cycling a new tank?

Thanks

OldManSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm... I need to double check the get started guide but I believe it said the orp doesn't need calibration. It only came with ph and conductivity calibration fluid
Don’t worry, it often takes a couple of weeks to achieve constant levels. Mine started low as well and over a month gradually reached 400 or so. The tank was 2 years old at that time. It runs at 380 - 410 very consistently. If I wash equipment with peroxide and rinse extensively prior to returning to the tank, ORP immediately falls to 250 or so then returns to 400 within a couple of hours. I do a 20% water change once a month which has essentially no effect on ORP.

ibondy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with OldManSea, it take some time (3-4 weeks in my cese) for ORP probe to stabilize. Right now mine is showing between 310-330 durring the day. Number is not that important, you are looking at ORP trends. If you see a big drop in ORP reading, it is time to investigate. Never had a big jump on ORP readings. :)

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You check accuracy, to get an idea on how well calibrated

51uA7vcIoVL._SX425_.jpg
Excellent, this is what i was looking for. Thank you for sharing.

I can use this solution with Neptune ORP probe? is there an option in the calibration menu for it to calibrate at 400 ORP....?

Arc Flash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a near crash on my main tank, everything that could have been wrong was....long story short..my daughter came early so, had to spend time at the hospital..and in that time..the ATO failed..dosing pump failed and had 2 fish die..and they stayed in there for days...
Did a 15gal. water change and my ORP went down to 128..and after making things right, numbers have stabilized and ORP is now back to its normal spot of 414 ORP

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do not chase a number essentially. Observe your tank and in due time you will see what ORP means for your tank. I noticed mine drops when my nutrients aren't right, but that could just be a guess since I am not a scientists. I notice less algae in my tank when mine is closer to 400 (doesn't mean that'll be the case in your tank). Just my experience from what I have observed. Also my water is clearer the higher my ORP.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monitor ORP if you want (I do because I'm OCD) but it's mostly useless - in 25 years of tracking it, I have yet to have an instance where any kind of intervention was required (even when I still ran ozone). Every now and then the number falls significantly, I run around like a headless chicken only to find ….. nothing. Almost better to just not measure it - which I would do except my Apex has the probe ….. sigh.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back