Orphek Atlantic V4 2020 vs Radion XR30 G5

pop.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a new SPS dominated tank. I’m aiming for the best equipment this time around and what I’m wondering is your thoughts on which lighting is best? I will go for LED, so is the Orphek Atlantic V4 2020 edition better than the Radions G5 from Ecotech or vise versa?
Great fil for your thoughts.
/Peter

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m all orphek and no complaints

U

User1

View Badges
Starting a new SPS dominated tank. I’m aiming for the best equipment this time around and what I’m wondering is your thoughts on which lighting is best? I will go for LED, so is the Orphek Atlantic V4 2020 edition better than the Radions G5 from Ecotech or vise versa?
Great fil for your thoughts.
/Peter

Best is going to be subjective. Honestly, it is. Hobbyist grow successful tanks using both lights you described, earlier versions, and lights you didn't list to include upgrading to the latest and greatest such as ATI Straton and Coral Care Gen 2's.

At best you can try and watch a few videos and check to see if BRStv reviewed the light. That will at least give you some par numbers at a set height. Then see if that relates to how you are going to set up. Par, height, and their mapping is about all I use. Rest of their stuff is more or less opinion vs reef type which of course will vary - so no disrespect to them on it but data first, then how it relates to you, then anything else is my work flow.

How much you want to spend
Looks
Tank size
Mounting options and layout
How many would you need
Can you buy X and then add Y without heavy modification to mounting

Lights I would probably look at if I was setting up a SPS tank:
1. ATI straton
2. Philips Coral Care Gen 2

These due to passive cooling and panel layout. Cable management.

1. Kessil a360x

Look and feel. Shimmer. Depth it gives the tank. Wide lens. Can add 90 degree lens, increase mounting height, or punch down through taller tanks. Focus on clam or coral if required.

1. Orphek 2020
2. Reefi uno or duo
3. Radion XR

Either of these but would probably lean towards the Orphek first. Too many "perceived" issues with fan noise on the new Radions. I say perceived as I do not own them so it is just what I read here and on another forum so may be a low issue or few. Out of this grouping I would probably look at the Orphek and Reefi first.

TL; DR - any of the lights you noted will grow coral. Have great support. Enough hobbyist information to help you make a choice. ATI and Philips are the new kids on the block with a different design. I'm intrigued by these, their life expectancy, how high you can use them as it relates to intensity due to thermal design. Less clutter. Kessil, orphek, and radions are known. Any search will result in success. Reefi is new but getting some interesting reviews.

I use Kessil a360x with a custom multi-channel DIY array. I keep a mixed reef. Just providing what I'm either looking at swapping to within a year or if I was to change. ATI and Philips are the two peaking my curiosity :D However as I said you can't go wrong with your choices I believe. See what may work best for your tanks size and mounting requirements.

OP
OP
pop.reef

pop.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best is going to be subjective. Honestly, it is. Hobbyist grow successful tanks using both lights you described, earlier versions, and lights you didn't list to include upgrading to the latest and greatest such as ATI Straton and Coral Care Gen 2's.

At best you can try and watch a few videos and check to see if BRStv reviewed the light. That will at least give you some par numbers at a set height. Then see if that relates to how you are going to set up. Par, height, and their mapping is about all I use. Rest of their stuff is more or less opinion vs reef type which of course will vary - so no disrespect to them on it but data first, then how it relates to you, then anything else is my work flow.

How much you want to spend
Looks
Tank size
Mounting options and layout
How many would you need
Can you buy X and then add Y without heavy modification to mounting

Lights I would probably look at if I was setting up a SPS tank:
1. ATI straton
2. Philips Coral Care Gen 2

These due to passive cooling and panel layout. Cable management.

1. Kessil a360x

Look and feel. Shimmer. Depth it gives the tank. Wide lens. Can add 90 degree lens, increase mounting height, or punch down through taller tanks. Focus on clam or coral if required.

1. Orphek 2020
2. Reefi uno or duo
3. Radion XR

Either of these but would probably lean towards the Orphek first. Too many "perceived" issues with fan noise on the new Radions. I say perceived as I do not own them so it is just what I read here and on another forum so may be a low issue or few. Out of this grouping I would probably look at the Orphek and Reefi first.

TL; DR - any of the lights you noted will grow coral. Have great support. Enough hobbyist information to help you make a choice. ATI and Philips are the new kids on the block with a different design. I'm intrigued by these, their life expectancy, how high you can use them as it relates to intensity due to thermal design. Less clutter. Kessil, orphek, and radions are known. Any search will result in success. Reefi is new but getting some interesting reviews.

I use Kessil a360x with a custom multi-channel DIY array. I keep a mixed reef. Just providing what I'm either looking at swapping to within a year or if I was to change. ATI and Philips are the two peaking my curiosity :D However as I said you can't go wrong with your choices I believe. See what may work best for your tanks size and mounting requirements.

Thanks so much for that in depth answer. Lots of good advice.
Yeah, I have a nano at the moment with Radion XR15 Pr Blue G5. Somebody advices me on the Orphek for my new tank but I just wanted to hear some opinions. I’ve seen the BRStv videos, they’re great. It’s always hard when you can’t try out every brand yourself. You gotta pick and choose before you try it which kind of sucks...

You have a mixed reef. Well I do too, got quite a lot of LPS as well. I guess I should invest in a good PAR meter but they’re like $600 and there’s no way to rent them over here. But it’s so hard to guess or to go by other people’s test results.
What PAR do you normally like to go with for your SPS?

U

User1

View Badges
Thanks so much for that in depth answer. Lots of good advice.
Yeah, I have a nano at the moment with Radion XR15 Pr Blue G5. Somebody advices me on the Orphek for my new tank but I just wanted to hear some opinions. I’ve seen the BRStv videos, they’re great. It’s always hard when you can’t try out every brand yourself. You gotta pick and choose before you try it which kind of sucks...

You have a mixed reef. Well I do too, got quite a lot of LPS as well. I guess I should invest in a good PAR meter but they’re like $600 and there’s no way to rent them over here. But it’s so hard to guess or to go by other people’s test results.
What PAR do you normally like to go with for your SPS?

Not to push a product but just suggesting a tool down the road for possible consideration. With the holidays around the corner it makes for a nice stocking stuffer also :) Look at the Seneye reef device. It is above all everything two things:

1. Par meter. Affordable price. 200 bucks give or take shipping and tax.
2. Out of warning indicator in AIO or sump - either works - but if out of water for some reason you will get email notificaion

Those two alone make it worth it. It is also a ph and ammonia monitor if you continue to buy the slides. I used the one slide they included and that was it. However, I do know of a few folks using it in their QT and isolation tanks for ammonia monitoring. Also works great when starting up new tanks and the cycle. There are a few threads there to include one by @Dana Riddle I believe that say that the Seneye isn't band and worth the overall cost. I think even BRS tv included it with their par tools and it was close. In any case - something to think of if you haven't already. Can use, store, leave in for alterts, etc.

As far as what do I go with? I really don't know. I have stuff all over the place but most of the SPS are middle to top of tank. It also doesn't help that my tank is 30" tall. 240 - 300 up top with a low of 90 at the very bottom. Kind of a mess but you get the idea. The bubble coral was pearl white but now it is cream and tank. Really pretty but this photo doesn't show it properly. Same applies with a couple other corals that have changed. Few others have changed after buying from vendor to my tank.

In any case I'm not the right person to ask on PAR. I know bottom, I know surface area, and a few numbers on the side and I'm sort of keeping corals within those numbers or corals that are easier to keep as the tank matures.

IMG_20200827_113703.jpg
IMG_20200827_114056.jpg
IMG_20200827_113043.jpg
IMG_20200827_113156.jpg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no best... especially if you leave it so wide open. Parameters on what you want can help a bit. If you just say LED, I would choose ReefBreeders Photon v2 over any of those because they light the best acropora reefs that I have seen that don't use T5s or MH. I don't use Photon V2s, though... so take this for what it is worth... I am also not a fanboy.

As far as "best" other equipment? That depends too. If you want reliability and longevity for a good price, then you give up apps, "control" and coolness. Control is an illusion anyway.

I feel that I have the BEST equipment out there... Lifereef, ER and ASM skimmers, AC askoll-block AC return pumps, Tunze flow pumps, Metal Halides, Ehiem heaters on Rancos, Korallin Calcium Reactors, but this is just best for what I want... reliability, ultimate performance and results. I don't give a dang about coolness, apps, "control" or anything like that. I don't care about wires or the build - just what is in the tank. Other peoples best is going to depend on their wants.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been happy with my orphek and would pick it again, huge spectrum and plenty of punch. I am not swayed by the coralcare or ATI quite yet, however reefi unos are a compelling option at the low price and great cooling system and warranty along with pc amber and limes to really balance the colors - they would be nice if one is ok doubling the fixtures, the low cost make that more palatable.

I personally never liked the flat look of t5 alone, but prefer them to MH as I strongly disliked them back in the day, thank goodness we have options now.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll get better coverage with the Atlantics. You could also add T5 or led bars to the Radions.

MoKan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've owned both along with AI's. Hands down Orpheks. The programming can be a pain compared to AI's and Radion but better spread and coloration in my opinion. Plus the programming issues makes you really think about if it's worth it to constantly play around with them compared to other lights which in my opinion is a good thing. Less playing with things the better.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never liked radions that much personally, but everyone I’ve seen use them keeps them very blue, I’m not a fan of the blue look all day long. I would be someone who would buy the g5 pros over the blues.

but I love my orphek. I just bought another for when I upgrade to a larger tank.

I also have an ai prime, metal halide, and the reef breeders v2 on other tanks. I love the look and color of the orphek the most. But the reef breeders is an excellent option and you can get some serious lighting coverage for the price.

TankCandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   1
I spent the last 2 years thinking about this same question but with the G4 Radions. I decided to go with the Opheks for the full spectrum control and spread.
PXL_20201207_040950548.jpg

I love mine...

Also there is a UV only mode..
PXL_20201206_035921109.jpg

Last edited:

Rick Krejci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the Orphek Atlantik...no issues whatsoever. That said, I'd consider the Reefi Uno or Duos as well.

I've had the various Radions and never liked the light spill and disco effect, and th Kessils shimmer was too over the top for me. I especially hate having lights glaring at me since my tank is in my family room. The Atlantik is excellent in that regard, as are the Reefi offerings.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had massive success with Orphek lights, from growth, color and par. I've heard about the failure issue, but I don't think that's the majority. The only other LED's I've used were Radion G4's.... not to start a vs. war but they are not even remotely in the same league... the Orpheks have far better spread, color, and growth. While not completely apples to apples but you get the idea. (FYI sorry about the bluryness on some of the photos... had to zoom in to get the corals in the pic...you get the point.

This is my old tank: Display 130 Gallon Total system volume 160 Gallons.
1607363498235.png

Growth Under Radions

1607365203711.png

1607365343905.png

1 year and a month

New Tank: Display 240Gallons Total System volume 305 Gallons
1607363559799.png

Under Orpheks

1607365544555.png

1607365783197.png

8 Months

1607366164197.png

1607366430714.png

6 Months

1607366516771.png

1607366689815.png

2 months

1607366952417.png

1607367056212.png

4 months

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your new tank looks incredible!! I love all that coraline.
Thanks!! Its been a journey but things have leveled out. I'm pretty happy with everything....unfortunately my camera skills suck and cant do justice how things really look. The Orpheks have a way of making colors "pop" without looking unnatural.

1607368081861.png

1607368360514.png

1607368139696.png

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!! Its been a journey but things have leveled out. I'm pretty happy with everything....unfortunately my camera skills suck and cant do justice how things really look. The Orpheks have a way of making colors "pop" without looking unnatural.

1607368081861.png

1607368360514.png

1607368139696.png
Had some major set backs...but here is the tank today

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see your video sdot.

im still happy with my orphek v4. Pictures are from yesterday while I was cleaning
AD6DFA58-C489-4441-A20B-E16E71C2C918.jpeg
5797D6D4-34EA-47A0-9ACD-EFBE27674F7B.jpeg
3A587B5F-3BED-441B-B537-0AF6C3BFD2BA.jpeg
80C85743-6629-4211-A130-C6BDFCBCD77B.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back