Orphek Atlantik V4 GEN2/Radion XR30 Blue GEN5

christianbam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a IM Nuvo Fusion 40 tank stocked with LPS and SPS. Right now I have 1 hydra 26HD over the tank but am starting to notice a decent amount of shadowing as things get bigger and I need more spread for the more demanding SPS. Just have a feeling the old hydra is providing enough for growth. Unfortunately I'm not in position to upgrade to a bigger tank at the moment, but would really like to in 1-2 years.
The IM Nuvo 40 tank specs are 24Lx20Wx19H.
The dimensions of a Orphek Atlantik V4 GEN2 are 24Lx9W that has a recommended spread of 40x24
The dimensions of a Radion XR30 Blue GEN5 are12Lx7W that has a recommended spread of 24x24
My question is, would either of these be overkill/recommended for my size tank for SPS? Which would be best? Or are the smaller versions (Atlantik Compact and XR15's) the best option?

Rick Krejci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefer 250 (36Lx20Wx21H) and use the Orphek V4 Atlantik Gen2 and have had great success with it. I previously used 2x XR15's, but felt there was too much shadowing, so I tried doing the hybrid T5 approach with them and I just wan't happy with the look and health. The Orphek was a major step up from that, and has far less shadowing and a lot less disco effect than the bare XR15s did. I'm running the Orphek at about 50-75%, so plenty of overhead room as well. It's also quieter. And one big nice thing with the Orphek's is that you get very little side glare from them. Since my tank is in my family room, I can't stand having the lights blaring in my eyes while I'm on the couch

All that said, the Atlantik IMO doesn't give great coverage towards the edges of my 36" tank since it's designed to penetrate more. So I am going to sell it next month and transition over to 3 Reefi Uno's which should give me wider coverage with still minimal shadowing and still no side glare. I may regret it since the Orphek's been great, but I'm getting the itch to fill my upper corners more with SPS. On your 24" tank it obviously wouldn't have any issues and would give you 0 shadowing.

Anyone looking for a good deal on a used Atlantik ;) ?

dling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a IM Nuvo Fusion 40 tank stocked with LPS and SPS. Right now I have 1 hydra 26HD over the tank but am starting to notice a decent amount of shadowing as things get bigger and I need more spread for the more demanding SPS. Just have a feeling the old hydra is providing enough for growth. Unfortunately I'm not in position to upgrade to a bigger tank at the moment, but would really like to in 1-2 years.
The IM Nuvo 40 tank specs are 24Lx20Wx19H.
The dimensions of a Orphek Atlantik V4 GEN2 are 24Lx9W that has a recommended spread of 40x24
The dimensions of a Radion XR30 Blue GEN5 are12Lx7W that has a recommended spread of 24x24
My question is, would either of these be overkill/recommended for my size tank for SPS? Which would be best? Or are the smaller versions (Atlantik Compact and XR15's) the best option?
Have you watch this review. It's great. BRS reviewed the most popular led lights.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about adding the T5 hybrid? You could also pick up a couple of Reefbrite or Aliexpress bars, that would definitely solve your problem.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d grab another 26HD off eBay and then add an orphek OR3 or reefbrite strip for $150.

I had a single XR30 g5 blue over my 44g water box frag tank and had terrible shadowing. Better off with two of whatever you choose... I replaced it with a reef breeder v2 and or3 bar for fraction of the price and it looks much better with much better coverage and growth.

Don’t assume that because Radions are twice the price that they look or perform twice better than any other light. Not saying they are bad but they are extremely over priced.

OP
OP
christianbam

christianbam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for t
I’d grab another 26HD off eBay and then add an orphek OR3 or reefbrite strip for $150.

I had a single XR30 g5 blue over my 44g water box frag tank and had terrible shadowing. Better off with two of whatever you choose... I replaced it with a reef breeder v2 and or3 bar for fraction of the price and it looks much better with much better coverage and growth.

Don’t assume that because Radions are twice the price that they look or perform twice better than any other light. Not saying they are bad but they are extremely over priced.
Thank you for the feedback. Overall I’m happy with the radion but do agree that I probably could have gotten better coverage with 2 26’s. But for a lps/sps mix it’s doing just fine. Coralline algae growth went through the roof. Not sure how or why but I like it. I was not happy with the Mobius app. The AI app to me was much better. Also, even running at 25-30 %, whenever the fan kicks on, it definitely is noisy compared to my 26. I believe if I start up another 40 gallon I’m going to take your advice. Holding on to the 26 until then. Thanks again

OP
OP
christianbam

christianbam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about adding the T5 hybrid? You could also pick up a couple of Reefbrite or Aliexpress bars, that would definitely solve your problem.
Hello, yes you are correct, I looked into the T5 hybrid but never pulled the trigger on it. Not sure why, I never had experience with it and I probably fell into the trap of some other reeefers believing that radions are the best. The new radion is working great so far but not worth the price tag if you ask me. I kept on searching for an IM40 with this hybrid set up but could not find one. Was afraid on how big/bulky it would look. If I ever change my mind then the hybrid is something I will have to consider. Thank you

OP
OP
christianbam

christianbam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you watch this review. It's great. BRS reviewed the most popular led lights.

I did watch the videos for the orphek. I also viewed the videos they had for radion. After viewing each carefully I would have decided on either the compact or the xr30. Comparing the spectrum BRS had on each of these two models, the radion was “better”. The orphek atlantik has the closest spectrum to T5 but it was way to large for my size tank.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would never buy a ai light again i would go with anything else but them

Steve H

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atlantiks have a high failure rate and the app is horrible. Get the Radions. I would do two XR15s over one XR30. I have also been impressed with the Philips Coral Care II so far but the big heavy fixture isn’t for everyone.

elwallacejr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up with 3 XR15 G5 Pros with diffusers running AB+ over my Planet Crystalline (48Lx24Wx21H) 100gal or so. I'm using the RMS rail kit and it had done OK but the pop was kinda flat. I added 2 Orphek OR3 90 Blue Plus light bars and there is nothing I love more than staring at the tank in evening once the Radion's have gone out. The combo seems to be working well. Growth isn't skyrocketing but keeping my nutrients up has been a battle. I like the OR3 pop but also really like the moon phase that I get out of the Radion. That said I'm struggling because I've always just been attracted to the Atlantik fixtures but mounting two Compacts (which I have still sitting in their boxes) with two OR3's means a hanging fixture. That's going to be tough with vaulted ceilings. If I were to do a hanging solution my OCD wouldn't let me have cables hanging from the ceiling and power cords running out the back. In the end my biggest blocker for the Atlantik's is the mounting.

Edit: The photo below was with the Radion's running along side the OR3's at about 50%.

63443411246__19331B52-8EA2-4107-9DF1-AE1BA335E4DA.jpeg

Last edited:

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefer 250 (36Lx20Wx21H) and use the Orphek V4 Atlantik Gen2 and have had great success with it. I previously used 2x XR15's, but felt there was too much shadowing, so I tried doing the hybrid T5 approach with them and I just wan't happy with the look and health. The Orphek was a major step up from that, and has far less shadowing and a lot less disco effect than the bare XR15s did. I'm running the Orphek at about 50-75%, so plenty of overhead room as well. It's also quieter. And one big nice thing with the Orphek's is that you get very little side glare from them. Since my tank is in my family room, I can't stand having the lights blaring in my eyes while I'm on the couch

All that said, the Atlantik IMO doesn't give great coverage towards the edges of my 36" tank since it's designed to penetrate more. So I am going to sell it next month and transition over to 3 Reefi Uno's which should give me wider coverage with still minimal shadowing and still no side glare. I may regret it since the Orphek's been great, but I'm getting the itch to fill my upper corners more with SPS. On your 24" tank it obviously wouldn't have any issues and would give you 0 shadowing.

Anyone looking for a good deal on a used Atlantik ;) ?
hello how are the reefi compared to the orphek?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back