Orphek lighting for 180 gallon mixed reef

Obdoc63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been away from reef keeping for 18 years and my how things have changed! I just purchased a 180 gallon tank that is 24 inches deep. I'm really wanting to eventually get into SPS in the top of the tank and LPS midway down and maybe some limited softies at the bottom.
So, I've been looking at two of the Orphek Atlantik V4 Gen 2 with the iCon upgrade, flanked on either side with one of the OR3 150 Blue Sky and one OR3 150 Blue Plus. Kinda spendy, but I'm hoping this will give good PAR and the pictures I've seen the corals seem to "pop" really well. I plan to not have a hood and suspend the lights using the Orphek bar from the ceiling.
Am I crazy or will this work?
Thanks in Advance
Tim

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've been away from reef keeping for 18 years and my how things have changed! I just purchased a 180 gallon tank that is 24 inches deep. I'm really wanting to eventually get into SPS in the top of the tank and LPS midway down and maybe some limited softies at the bottom.
So, I've been looking at two of the Orphek Atlantik V4 Gen 2 with the iCon upgrade, flanked on either side with one of the OR3 150 Blue Sky and one OR3 150 Blue Plus. Kinda spendy, but I'm hoping this will give good PAR and the pictures I've seen the corals seem to "pop" really well. I plan to not have a hood and suspend the lights using the Orphek bar from the ceiling.
Am I crazy or will this work?
Thanks in Advance
Tim
This is what I would have recommended. Using Orphek only, the par alone from the OR3-150 is amazing

OP
OP
Obdoc63

Obdoc63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for your reply. I pulled the trigger and ordered everything. Thank God I’ve been saving up. Good lighting has gotten really expensive, but I have all LED lights in my home and like that produce great results without much heat and less energy.
I have a 120 coming that is 48x24x24 so I’ll likely use a similar configuration.
I can’t wait to get it set up and running.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 57 79.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back