Ostreposis Dinos; Very Capable Of Ruining A Tank..............And Making Me Think About Taking A Break From The Hobby

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any recommendations for managing (I don't know that they can be eliminated!) this particular species? UV seems to have some effect, but DinoX, Dr. Tim's formula, raising nitrate and phosphate, no water changes, running skimmer only at night, increasing biodiversity - all recommendations that I have read on R2R have had no noticable effect. And now, I'm hesitant to take a deep breath when I am near my tank, lol.

Thanks, all thoughts welcome.

Last edited:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What??????? No way!

OP
OP
Mikedawg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What??????? No way!
Yeah, way. Really a pain to watch beautiful corals begin to recede, inverts go missing, spend more time than I would like blowing off all hard surfaces...……......only to have this stuff re-constitute in 15 minutes. Any Tennessee remedies, other than a mason jar of good "shine?"

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let me ask some educated folks. There has to be a point of extinction in a limited environment.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I found a success story for you. Microbe-lift. Biodiversity is apparently key along with microfauna.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Btw, toxicity greatly increased depending on temp from my reading.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ve had tons of successes against ostreopsis. I would have some GAC running to reduce toxins, make sure you have measurable nitrates and phosphates for the long term, and hit it hard with UV. At least 1 watt per 3 gallons of water, run from DT back to DT, flowing 1-3 tank volumes per hour usually does the trick.

OP
OP
Mikedawg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your tank water volume, which UV unit did you get and what’s your flow through the UV unit.

My experience with Ostreopsis is that UV should clean it up within a week.
RedSea 260 Max E/69 gallons. 28 watt UV running slow flow
Was your experience referencing ovata species?

Thanks

OP
OP
Mikedawg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ve had tons of successes against ostreopsis. I would have some GAC running to reduce toxins, make sure you have measurable nitrates and phosphates for the long term, and hit it hard with UV. At least 1 watt per 3 gallons of water, run from DT back to DT, flowing 1-3 tank volumes per hour usually does the trick.
ovata species? Thanks, I'm doing this and change activatated carbon every 5 days. I know the ovata species form protective cysts when stressed and they can survive in this state for a long period of time - been at it for two months, maybe a little longer? How long did it take you to declare "victory?"

OP
OP
Mikedawg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a success story for you. Microbe-lift. Biodiversity is apparently key along with microfauna.
Yeah, I went to nastiest LFS in this area and bought the dirtiest rock I could find to up tank biodiversity - ovata liked it and have now colonized it!

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ovata species? Thanks, I'm doing this and change activatated carbon every 5 days. I know the ovata species form protective cysts when stressed and they can survive in this state for a long period of time - been at it for two months, maybe a little longer? How long did it take you to declare "victory?"
I agree 2 months should be gone. Honestly with your UV set-up, I would have guessed they would have been gone in a couple days. I would keep UV going until something works. Let’s see if @taricha can help.

OP
OP
Mikedawg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree 2 months should be gone. Honestly with your UV set-up, I would have guessed they would have been gone in a couple days. I would keep UV going until something works. Let’s see if @taricha can help.
I'm not known for patience. I do blow off rocks and sand toward the evening thinking when they are in water column they are more susceptible to UV and I do turn on skimmer then for eight hours. Hoping my tank grows something that will out compete them so I am also trying to increase biodiversity.
Thanks.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not known for patience. I do blow off rocks and sand toward the evening thinking when they are in water column they are more susceptible to UV and I do turn on skimmer then for eight hours. Hoping my tank grows something that will out compete them so I am also trying to increase biodiversity.
Thanks.
Hey also, I know that you are running slow flow, but I would target real slow for a while. Like 50-100 gph. You might be there already, but thought I’d mention that.

Do you have any green algae growing? Film, hair, etc? Lastly, any chance that you killed ostreopsis already and what you have left over are amphidinium?

Sorry, this just seems so unusual to me.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back