Other possibilities

Proxses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Months ago I had something kill most of my fish over a weekend. No signs beforehand and virtually no signs on the deceased fish. The clowns just didn’t look at vibrant. The black wasn’t as dark. No spots like ich or velvet. None looked like the images depicting brook. Any other possible diseases? Any other possible causes?
I lost an anthias the week before, followed by a mandarin, two clowns, and two dwarf angels in a few days time.
All that survived was a firefish. Never shown any signs of trouble.
Currently doing a black mollie test. Been more than a week, and so far all clear.

Thoughts?

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, it still sounds like it was velvet. Clowns can be more resistant to velvet, and some fish show very few symptoms at all.

Given the rapidity with which the fish were killed, it would have to be something quite lethal for that many fish to die that quickly. Velvet is really the only thing that comes to mind that is not species-specific.

OP
OP
P

Proxses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been suggest that I might have gotten a poison in the water that may have caused an issue with the fish.
I was doing a bit of tile flooring install in roughly the same time. But not in the same room. The exact timing, I don't recall, as it's been a while now.
When the fish started to die off, I did put GAC in the tank just in case. Might not have cleared in time.
Thoughts?

The mollies still show no sign of disease.
I find this very strange still.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been suggest that I might have gotten a poison in the water that may have caused an issue with the fish.
I was doing a bit of tile flooring install in roughly the same time. But not in the same room. The exact timing, I don't recall, as it's been a while now.
When the fish started to die off, I did put GAC in the tank just in case. Might not have cleared in time.
Thoughts?

The mollies still show no sign of disease.
I find this very strange still.
That is interesting. What kind of flooring work were you doing? Sanding and refinishing or complete flooring redo?

OP
OP
P

Proxses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally just gluing a section of tile down. Used a bit of mastic tile cement. Maybe 20-30 sq ft of area.
I'm not sold that this could do it. But it's all been so strange with the loss without indicating they were sick. Out of 6 fish, not one shows spots or apparent illness... that's strange.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally just gluing a section of tile down. Used a bit of mastic tile cement. Maybe 20-30 sq ft of area.
I'm not sold that this could do it. But it's all been so strange with the loss without indicating they were sick. Out of 6 fish, not one shows spots or apparent illness... that's strange.
I'm not sure that's it, either. Do you have fresh air intake on the skimmer or were the windows open?

detran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

It sure could be velvet if it killed this fast, but it could be poisoning, or spiking high temp or suden oxygen depletion, or even electricity leaking into your tank.

Do you recall if you made a WC prior to these events? Have you reacently opened a new salt bucket/bag? Did you supplement / fed anything new? Do you know if any of the buckets, nets, or equipment might have been expossed to chemichals or detergents or anything of the sort? Poisoning can come from different sources so it's always good to remember any of these details to find out the source. Best of luck, and I'm truely sorry for your loss. :(

Ed

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Proxses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No big change in anything. Wasn't right after a water change or any event. It was almost three weeks since we had a bunch of people over. So I doubt that part matters. It was just all of a sudden.

Skimmer just pulls air from the room. No open windows close to the tank.

And with the mollies still looking happy and healthy, I guess it's time to just go slow and try to restock. I will be paying special attention to buckets and equipment. But I've always been a bit cautious with equipment anyway. Like it clean and out of harms way, until I need to use it.

detran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any sprays or aerosol products that might've been used nearby? The skimmer pulls in air and they can pull in aerosol chemicals, or even the aerosol might've reached the tank? At any chance, I'd leave the tank fallow for the 45 to 76 days just to be sure. I also recomend drop some fresh carbon to absorb anything that might still be present in your tank. Best of luck.

Ed

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 37.9%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back