Other than Apex, what is the most stable and reliable digital PH monitoring.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than Neptune Apex, what is the most stable and reliable digital PH monitoring.

Will never incorporate Neptune as I run my tank control through my smart home Control4 system.

Unit needs to be real time monitoring, not manual testing ( Edited to clarify needs )

Last edited:
OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into the Milwaukee or pinpoint units, they are pretty solid from what I have heard.
I have a pinpoint and have tried every level of lab grade probes and they just drift all the time and can't get more than 4-6 months of reliability out of the probes.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do your probes "Actually" last and how often are you calibrating the unit?

Using the probe that came with it still 17 months later. I calibrated it after 6 months just to see and i did not make any adjustment. Calibrated it about 9 months later and it was off just a bit(but was very little).

I have not had issues with big drifts over time or false spikes/drops for example as i have had with some others.

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 ph probes (one just acquired from a tank re home/purchase).. and a chemical test kit... all measurements are never them same. When I got back into the hobby I chased numbers... now I am learning to just look for treads or spikes.

The twoI have are:

1634929723921.png

1634929765453.png

I Plan on setting up a reef-pi to look for alerts to issues.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the probe that came with it still 17 months later. I calibrated it after 6 months just to see and i did not make any adjustment. Calibrated it about 9 months later and it was off just a bit(but was very little).

I have not had issues with big drifts over time or false spikes/drops for example as i have had with some others.
This is GREAT info, thank you for your details in the response.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pinpoint and have tried every level of lab grade probes and they just drift all the time and can't get more than 4-6 months of reliability out of the probes.

Did you try process pH probes? Maybe refillable probes?

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With lab-grade pH meters and probes we were trained when in doubt, calibrate. Calibrate before you use it, because you don't know if the last user calibrated it properly, or how long its been.

Thats for lab grade probes stored in pristine conditions. I'm not sure why we expect hobby grade probes stored in seawater to be any different.

IMO asking a pH probe to not drift at all, while storing it long term in seawater, is asking a pH probe to do something they don't do. If you want accurate pH readings I don't see any way around frequent two-point calibration.

(All of this is aside from the question of whether its worth measuring in the first place. I stopped correcting my pH meter's drift, or paying any attention to the readings a couple years ago. With the right alkalinity and enough gas exchange, pH is correct on its own)

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new BRS PH Probe reads 8.43

Been trying to raise PH. Dosing, Recirculating media on Skimmer. PH Was 7.9 for three months no matter how many times I calibrated. Do I Trust this number ? Do I calibrate new probe or is it as best as it can be out of the box

New probe reading 8.43

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use salifet ph test kit which verifys my ph probe is working properly. And the color change on Salifert is pretty good between 7.6 to 8.5

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 96 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back