OTT Reef Tanks and Ideas: Have you ever built one or plan to build one?

Do you have any over the top reef tank ideas you dream about?

• YES (tell us about it in the thread)

Votes: 75 57.7%
  • NO

Votes: 52 40.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I qualify as having an OTT aquarium?

20221021_213527.jpg
No, not yet. Maybe when you start getting serious...

Totlxtc

2 wheeled Idiot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If over the top then my dream tank is a sun room off the back of the house with a pool in it that is an aquarium. The wall up against the basement wall is a big window looking into the pool. The pool has a beach entry and the sun room is filled with sand. So basically a indoor beach with a reef. So can view from comfort of home or swim with the fish or tan (my case burn) in the sun on the beach.

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I’m American but I grew up in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. There is a beach there with an amazing shallow reef that drops off in a sheer cliff into what is probably 100 feet of water. I remember snorkeling out over the drop and looking down to see sharks and divers at the bottom. I would always try to hold my breath and dive as deep as I could and observe the diversity of life that clung to the vertical face.
I have always dreamed of recreating a piece of that with a drop off tank but to the extreme. Something with a 10-15’ vertical but shallow front to back.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m full of dreams but mostly too lazy (or practical?) to chase trying to create a tank that captures the magic and depth, waves, currents, and beauty that I have enjoyed snorkeling the edge of the tropical paradise. Thanks @chimbo84 for sharing your similar story regarding inspiration and motivation that comes from seeing the reef up close and in person- we want to have that special place captured and living in our home!

Someone else post a thread asking if a used reef tank would work out for keeping lizards.

Between those two ideas I was reminded of a dream tank that I will never build;
A tide pool habitat for a saltwater iguana. It’s a dream but I don’t plan on opening a museum or zoo so it’s not going to happen.
Green Screen Holiday GIF by visualbrand

LCGoldman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In keeping with the theme of awesome, spectacular, amazing reef aquariums we have to talk about OTT Reef Tanks! What's that you might ask? OTT stands for OVER THE TOP! I just made that up and now it's a new reefing fad! Work with me here for a minute. So yes the thread title was a little bait and hook title but an OTT reef tank is something we've all dreamed about right?! Some of you are even living the OTT Dream now! Let's talk about it!

What is an OVER THE TOP (OTT) reef tank idea or dream that you've thought about building or implementing?

Come on now.....we're talking about those ideas and tanks that are extreme and OTT!

@WWC Lagoon Tank
IMG_9679.jpg
Is this at World Wide Corals?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please share.
There was a boy there that none of us knew and we had no idea why he was there. I think I remember watching some weird movie with him in a strange room (It was a cube with a mattress floor) but I really don’t know. Anyway a few months later everyone knew him and if it wasn’t clear that boy was Justin Bieber.
A very strange day anyway.

Imrahilwjz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother and I talked about having a basement that was an aquarium. We figured x we would scuba dive to do th we maintenance

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s this for OTT?
I’m wanting to do a back (and left pannel) wall of Montipora morphs. However ontop of that, I’d also want to do tabling/plating SPS on the outlet.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A reef tank that I can enjoy without me getting bothered by a thread of algae or a small aiptasia or a monti that I noticed that its color is getting darker would be OTT for me. just a tank I can enjoy really.
A proper answer to your question would be a series of species only tanks (nems, seahorses, clams and torches) all connected to one large 500 gallon mixed reef display.

Last edited:
Back