300 gallon switch to a 300 gallon rebuild

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! I just read you thread from the first post and I was NOT expecting this outcome :-( I was really loving your excitement. How devastating. So so sorry.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I got a plan though.
Going tomorrow to get 2 new panels and going to use this front panel as the new bottom I'll still use the sides and now the tank will be 30 wide instead of 30 tall. I like the looks of it on its side anyhow so I guess this was for the better.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I got a plan though.
Going tomorrow to get 2 new panels and going to use this front panel as the new bottom I'll still use the sides and now the tank will be 30 wide instead of 30 tall. I like the looks of it on its side anyhow so I guess this was for the better.
Is it okay to use a tempered bottom?

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. A lot of tanks are only tempered on the bottom. Hints why I really thought this one would be ok since the bottom was drilled but they must have had it done when they had it made.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220601_220256.jpg
looks better already, and honestly I really like the depth a lot better. So now it will be 96x24x30
Only part I'm skeptical about is the plastic framing. I think I'm just going to make new framing from 1×4 so that the bottom panel sits on about 2in of it and then the sides will come up 1 3/4inches with a 1x2 I will screw them together about every 6 inches. Should make for a very strong frame.
I will euro brace the top then probably make the same brace as the bottom for it.

Can anyone tell me where I can get the black reef safe silicone?

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything cleaned up nicely, what a pain in the tail though. New glass ordered, front panel low iron back panel regular annealed. Should see it next Tuesday or Wednesday. Black silicone ordered should be here this weekend bought 6 tubes probably way overkill but I didn't want to be short.
So still moving forward and can't wait to install it. I have to wait 10 days for everything to cure then we will fill it in the garage and leave it for probably 5 days to see how everything holds up and functions with the setup.
20220602_205827.jpg

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only so much can get done after a long day of work but I managed to get the new framing for the bottom done, well it needs a couple more coats of paint. Decided to just take it completely apart I kept thinking how upset I'd be if everything new I put in holds fine but I spring a leak at the bottom of the side panels. No sense in skipping 60inches when we are already sealing over 260 inches right.
They called me today to confirm measurements on the glass and said I will have it no later than next Friday but should see it by Wednesday. I'll finish painting tomorrow and start rerouting my plumbing as some of this setup will no longer work, just a few modifications hopefully.
20220603_182759.jpg
20220603_205115.jpg

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made a lot of progress today. Had to flip the sump to accommodate the plumbing but again I like it better, it gives me more room.
I don't have the union connections glued yet for the overflow or the returns so that I can adjust after drilling. I left my safty overflow a little higher than the water level so that if something ever happens and that drain is being used hopefully I'll be able to hear the splashing of the water.
Still need to add one more baffle piece next to the return. In the sump I made for our 180 this works perfectly, I've never had any micro bubbles in our display.
I drilled the refugium overflow, now I just need my Jon guest 1/2" quick connect bulkhead for the inlet. Also waiting on a neptune grow then I'll cut the top to accommodate the light.
Also thinking about running a reefbreeder photon 24-V2 pro over the frag section of the sump running on a reverse schedule. This won't be for a while though.
Maybe I'll finish painting the inside of the cabinet, and stain the doors tomorrow.

Big thank you to modular marine I really like the overflow it looks great and craftsmanship looks flawless. Amazing customer service I would highly recommend them and I will for sure use them for our future build.

Got some new gear in today thanks to
@jp415 great seller prompt shipping and perfect communication.

I'm still very excited to put this together I'll keep giving updates as progress continues, probably won't see any news until the glass comes in though.
20220604_183225.jpg
20220604_183232.jpg
20220604_183243.jpg
20220604_183416.jpg
20220604_183426.jpg
20220604_183653.jpg
20220604_183607.jpg
20220604_183707.jpg
20220604_185340.jpg

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today the wife said I need to slow down, then grinned. Sorry if your not into reading this is just a little long winded but I'm excited and wanted to share.
At home with extra lumber and the ideas start to flow as I look at the cabinet and I keep thinking I can do things better than in the sump area of the other tanks.
So I started with cutting up some pieces from our old 160 that was cracked, I cut it down after we switched tanks and kept all the big panels. But I made my slats for the bubble trap at the returns this way works great in our 180 we've never had any bubbles come in through the sump unless it was low of water when we're manually having to add top off. So glad that's automatic now.
20220607_192645.jpg

Then I started looking at where the controllers, dos, trident and dosing supplies will be and I came up with this. Top shelf will hold the trident on right then all of our hanna checkers, fish food and other supplies will be up there on the left. Then the tablet will be mounted where it shows then lift the face and all the controllers will be along that panel.
20220607_192705.jpg
They will be upside down when it's closed but it's not like that will make them run backwards haha. I will be filling all the holes that was me deciding where I wanted the dos units, and the shelf where the dp4 is at will be removed once I get the other dos.
Under the shelf will be 3 Dos units, still have to purchase 1 more and 1 more ddr though. So for now 1 dos in the middle as in the picture and 1 to the right. I will keep the dp4 on that second little shelf until I get the other dos that is what controls our aquaforest 1+2+3. The other dos is for AWC.
20220607_193315.jpg
Also picked up our 300 gallon tub today. Got it to premix all the water for the new system, going to use all the water for our 100 gallon display also this should put us right on the money for water needed but I'll still have the mixing station water on hand too if needed.
Waiting on the glass, weld-on 4, black silicone, and sand all should be here by Thursday. Hoping to have everything put together over the weekend. Waiting for it to cure is going to kill me.

Still need to purchase
Dos, and ddr
Neptune grow light
Reefbreeder 24-V2 photon pro

Still need to build
The canopy, not a full canopy just framing so that you're not looking at the lights from across the room.
Also need to cut the top of the ato section of the sump for the grow light, and add a 1/2 quick connect bulkhead at the bottom that will be the feed line for that area.

Wants
2 lumenbar V2 high octane UV lights.
Lots and lots more coral haha.

20220606_211335.jpg

In this picture the taller piece will be 1" above the bottom and the last piece will be on the bottom, still need to round the top over.

Happy reefing.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends, today the wife went a little rouge. Let's start with our son and I were building the top and light block.
Wife comes out and says "well what part of this is mine?"
Our son quickly replies "duh the sump mom"
Then he tells her "well just the sump cabinet." Oh boy I said.
Mind you our family has some setbacks but we like to have fun and joke around A LOT...
My son and I left to go look at some corals someone kinda close is selling do to shutting down their system. We are gone probably 2hrs and we pull into the driveway to this.
20220612_181745.jpg
I looked at my son and said I wonder why mom took the Apex gear out. He said dad look at the paint can.
20220612_181908.jpg
So I took off the doors and this is what I get...
Wife says "if that's my part it might as well look pretty too".
It's actually not bad but my son says "it was supposed to be white mom," while he rolls his eye at her. I absolutely love doing this as a family, it makes it so much more exciting.

This is our update as of today.
Top done.
Tank done waiting on curing.
Painted the back today.
Sump glued and painted back and bottom.
Not putting the rest of the trim on the cabinet until it's in the house so that we don't have to lift over it.
Oh correction tank not done, waiting on the euro bracing glass. Should be in on Wednesday.

Should be adding water on the 22nd for the test run.

Happy reefing everyone.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a little more work on the sump area today.
Put up the orbit 72 pro that I had laying around. I'm going to keep the one in the sump area just as a work light. The one in the canopy will be going back into storage. Hung the bracket I made for the UV. We took out the ugly white piece in the return area. We hooked up our 2100gph pump to one of the returns and filled the sump. We ran one line off the manifold for the refugium area and cranked up the water. I think this is going to work out really well. I piped it back so that the overflow goes through the bubble trap to the returns. With that on full blast I opened the valve for that return to the DT and it can shoot about half way across the tank, hints all the water spots on the front glass now ughhhh haha. Should work out good though with the random flow generators on both sides of the tank and the 3100gph pumps, won't have to be full blast.
20220614_205740.jpg
20220614_210048.jpg

I can't wait, I'm so anxious to install it.
Happy reefing everyone, we wish you loads of success in life and this wonderful hobby.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They called me on the bracing today, I go to pick it up and there is only 1 piece. They were very apologetic and I told them I understood. She called me about 20 minutes later and said they are trying to have it ready tomorrow. Hopefully they do.
Started filling the 300 gallon Rubbermaid today. Should take 3 days to fill. This way we can get Ca, Mag, Alk, No3, and Po4 in sink with the other tanks, while we're waiting. These are what I test and what I can dose so I'm hoping this works.
Happy reefing everyone.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started mixing water today.
This tub makes me realize how much water we are actually putting in our house. Going to try and have everything matching the sps tank exactly before the switch.
20220618_090257.jpg

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends, I thought I'd tell you about the stock going into this dt.
2 vlamingi tangs
2 frostbite clowns
1 blue velvet damsel
2 blue cromis
1 sailing
1 blue hippo tangs
2 Naso tangs
1 clown tang
1 elegant wrasse
1 watchman + tiger pistol shrimp
1 filefish
1 black and white damsel
1 emerald crab
Lots of snails and hermits
2 tuxedo urchins
1 black brittle starfish

Mixed reef going for sps dominant.
Walt Disney
Papa smurf
Gnarf bonsai
Strawberry shortcake
Birdnest
Green stylo
Black widow
Firecracker
Some zoas
War
Branching hammer
I have others that I'm not sure about the name but I'll post some pictures and see if I can get some help later.

Happy reefing everyone.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's up and running, the transfer went smooth, long but smooth. I started at 6am Saturday and was finished with transferring everything and everyone at about 5pm then the slow process of resetting all the electronics how I wanted them and trying to be neat about it, I just finished all that, 9pm Sunday. I'll get some pictures of the sump side tomorrow. I still have trim and curtains to add on the cabinet. Our family is very happy with our own little water wonderland. We had some great friends that helped get everything moved, one that couldn't wait to see it all together and one that knows nothing about the saltwater world but is now asking if I'd help him set up the 180 we just took down if his wife will let him.
20220626_212839.jpg
20220626_174540.jpg

20220626_213624.jpg

Happy reefing everyone.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todays picture. We are very pleased with how this turned out.
20220701_213942.jpg

Everything and everyone seems to be happy.
Alk floating at around 8.5 to 8.8 trying to get to hold steady at 9
CA floating right around 400
MG floating right around 1400
Ph stays right around 8.1 so I ordered a reactor for C02 media to see what I can get out of that.
PO4 sits around .04
N03 8.5
Temp holds 78.5 to 79
Bought another DOS & DDR should be here next week.

HAPPY REEFING EVERYONE

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried to post a video, I did it with the phone so hopefully it turned out ok.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back