Our 400 Gallon In Wall Natural Sun-Lit Reef

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jdpii3,
Just scanned your thread almost from start to finish. I know you have experianced a great loss. Often we ask the question of why to God and we think there is no answer. To put it simply we live in a world that is no longer being governed by God's original design. Jesus himself mentioned in many places that an enemy was responsible for the worlds current condition. I hope you take a couple of hours and watch "The Shack" that just came out as a movie. While it is gut wrenching story it says some deep truths about where God is when we experiance what we do everyday. After you watch the movie go to wmpaulyoung.com for back ground of Paul's life experiance and the story will be even more powerful. God's desire is to heal us and this world back to the way He created it in the first place....and He is not willing that any should perish. I wish you well as He continues to heal your brokeness.

OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jdpii3,
Just scanned your thread almost from start to finish. I know you have experianced a great loss. Often we ask the question of why to God and we think there is no answer. To put it simply we live in a world that is no longer being governed by God's original design. Jesus himself mentioned in many places that an enemy was responsible for the worlds current condition. I hope you take a couple of hours and watch "The Shack" that just came out as a movie. While it is gut wrenching story it says some deep truths about where God is when we experiance what we do everyday. After you watch the movie go to wmpaulyoung.com for back ground of Paul's life experiance and the story will be even more powerful. God's desire is to heal us and this world back to the way He created it in the first place....and He is not willing that any should perish. I wish you well as He continues to heal your brokeness.

Thank you so much for this, I've read The Shack and enjoyed the book. I'll see the movie but I'm sure the book will still be my favorite.

OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is still (even more!) incredible, and you're still an inspiration.

What are those purple anthias with the yellow stripe down their backs?

~Bruce
Thank you! They are Purple Queen Anthias (Pseudanthias tuka) is also known as Yellowstriped Fairy Basslet Anthias. Its been a difficult fish to get to eat but looks like they are finally eating enough.

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! They are Purple Queen Anthias (Pseudanthias tuka) is also known as Yellowstriped Fairy Basslet Anthias. Its been a difficult fish to get to eat but looks like they are finally eating enough.

Tanks looking great as always!! Any tips on getting the purple queens to eat?

OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks looking great as always!! Any tips on getting the purple queens to eat?
Thanks! Feed them in QT for about two weeks - a mix of baby brine, mysis shrimp, plankton, cyclops & some ground up flake and seaweed. Feed a small quantity a few times a day.

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Feed them in QT for about two weeks - a mix of baby brine, mysis shrimp, plankton, cyclops & some ground up flake and seaweed. Feed a small quantity a few times a day.

You think they would co exist with bimacs and dispars?

OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think they would co exist with bimacs and dispars?

From my understanding schools of 4 or more work well. I have six Lyretail Anthias five female and one male and six Bartlett's Anthias five female and one male and six Queen Anthias I haven't noticed any aggression issues between any of them

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding schools of 4 or more work well. I have six Lyretail Anthias five female and one male and six Bartlett's Anthias five female and one male and six Queen Anthias I haven't noticed any aggression issues between any of them

Great thx :)

Yeffre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up my new 540 reef system (36X36X96). My previous 300 gallon reef was lit with 250w MH and T-5's so the utilities were insane. How has coral growth been with natural sunlight? I've seen reports of bleaching and slow growth with sunlight. I'm thinking 2 velux 14" tubes with diffusers about 24" above tank supplemented with 4 kessil a360's. This is about a $3500 lighting setup but my $500-$600 a month electric bill will be a thing of the past. I want to achieve a bluer color with lots of coral and fish floressence as well as that shimmer effect that I got from MH.

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up my new 540 reef system (36X36X96). My previous 300 gallon reef was lit with 250w MH and T-5's so the utilities were insane. How has coral growth been with natural sunlight? I've seen reports of bleaching and slow growth with sunlight. I'm thinking 2 velux 14" tubes with diffusers about 24" above tank supplemented with 4 kessil a360's. This is about a $3500 lighting setup but my $500-$600 a month electric bill will be a thing of the past. I want to achieve a bluer color with lots of coral and fish floressence as well as that shimmer effect that I got from MH.
600 a month electric :O :O

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly he is supplementing the natural sunlight with artificial.
I don't remember the setup, but I'm sure it's in the original post or page of posts.

Back