Our 400 Gallon In Wall Natural Sun-Lit Reef

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Joe I love to read your writings. Not postings but writings. But I must admit I skimmed on a paragraph this time. Not because I was in a hurry but because my heart hurts to read and even imagine what you’ve had to endure. I feel like I have a love like you have and I can’t imagine spending one second without her.

We love you Joe!

OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe I love to read your writings. Not postings but writings. But I must admit I skimmed on a paragraph this time. Not because I was in a hurry but because my heart hurts to read and even imagine what you’ve had to endure. I feel like I have a love like you have and I can’t imagine spending one second without her.

We love you Joe!
Thank you Rev, Love you and everyone here in the Reef2Reef family.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe,

I was thrilled to death to see your post tonight. I have caught myself many times looking at this thread hoping to see you post again. I am very glad to see your tank still up and running and looking wonderfully. As far as the pumps go, I have really been enjoying the DC pumps that are out now. There are some great options and since you don't have a lot of head height I think you would be good with most any of the name brand ones on the market. As for your big daddy skimmer, I used to have one of these and they are definitely hungry for anything that can produce a high pressure. There have been a lot of changes in skimmer technology and The cone style with the needle wheel pumps seem to do an excellent job for a whole lot less power. I was glad to get rid of my old MRC skimmer. reef octopus make some very good units and I have been extremely happy with my jebao DC pumps. They have done well for me.

again it warms me to see you posting again and to see a wonderful video of your tank. Your fish look extremely happy and fat and your Coral looks to be growing well. Your tank actually makes me want to get some of the solar tubes.

OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe,

I was thrilled to death to see your post tonight. I have caught myself many times looking at this thread hoping to see you post again. I am very glad to see your tank still up and running and looking wonderfully. As far as the pumps go, I have really been enjoying the DC pumps that are out now. There are some great options and since you don't have a lot of head height I think you would be good with most any of the name brand ones on the market. As for your big daddy skimmer, I used to have one of these and they are definitely hungry for anything that can produce a high pressure. There have been a lot of changes in skimmer technology and The cone style with the needle wheel pumps seem to do an excellent job for a whole lot less power. I was glad to get rid of my old MRC skimmer. reef octopus make some very good units and I have been extremely happy with my jebao DC pumps. They have done well for me.

again it warms me to see you posting again and to see a wonderful video of your tank. Your fish look extremely happy and fat and your Coral looks to be growing well. Your tank actually makes me want to get some of the solar tubes.

Great information, I'm going to look at some of the DC pumps, don't think I'll change out the skimmer though maybe MRC has a mod kit for it.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great information, I'm going to look at some of the DC pumps, don't think I'll change out the skimmer though maybe MRC has a mod kit for it.
You might be able to convert away from the ejector and just use a needle wheel pump

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be great if that could work, I'm going to give my friend at 'Tanked' a call. :D
Great to see you chime in again Joe! The tank is still looking great!
I run a standard MRC, (MRC-1), not recirculating like yours, but I run it with the recommended blueline 40. The most outstanding feature of all these MRC skimmers is their patented Becket air induction system. IMHO, to do away from this system and modify with a submerged pin wheel pump defeats the purpose of why you bought that MRC in the 1st place. Reliability, durability, and ease of maintenance being external to the sump. I wouldn’t modify the skimmer or recommended pump. Now the 2 reeflo’s you got for circulating the display, there you can probably go with newer DC pumps and save on power consumption. [emoji1303]

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was constantly having to mess with and clean my Beckett. I hated it. I have way less maintenance when I had the big reef octopus and even more so now with my smaller SCA 302 skimmer. Both are needle wheel and Venturi based.

That Becket clogged too much for me.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was constantly having to mess with and clean my Beckett. I hated it. I have way less maintenance when I had the big reef octopus and even more so now with my smaller SCA 302 skimmer. Both are needle wheel and Venturi based.

That Becket clogged too much for me.

Hmm [emoji848]. Are you protecting the pump intake from tiny limpet, and stomatella shells? I don’t clean the Beckett that often at all. Every once in a while just squirt warm R/O water into the intake with a syringe to melt a little salt creep from the inside.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JOE! Hugs! Mrs. Music from RC. So happy to see you here! I followed your tank journey from inception. One of your jazzillion admirers, just to refresh your memory. lol. The tank looks amazing. The fish are as stunning as ever. I am requesting a video of the feeding frenzy that I am sure ensues at chow time. My tank crashed and I have a new rebuild thread going. Please visit if you have the time. Remember...new longer video please.

OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JOE! Hugs! Mrs. Music from RC. So happy to see you here! I followed your tank journey from inception. One of your jazzillion admirers, just to refresh your memory. lol. The tank looks amazing. The fish are as stunning as ever. I am requesting a video of the feeding frenzy that I am sure ensues at chow time. My tank crashed and I have a new rebuild thread going. Please visit if you have the time. Remember...new longer video please.

How could I ever forget you, Mrs. Music! I'll work on a longer video and see what I can do with a feeding frenzy video. Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, what a journey (been following your thread for a while as lurker). I know I have found my tanks to be therapeutic in life's ups and downs. I wonder if you'd be willing to offer an overall sense of how pleased you have been with the solar domes? I live in wooded CT, so no Florida sunshine; would they be a non-starter here? Do you get sunshine shimmer, or does the internal reflecting tube mostly mitigate that?

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truly sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis - I hope this is doing better after her treatment! Great build and I love the natural sunlight!

hubcap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WP_000282.jpg

Growing up in the room next to my brother, who was learning the bass at the time, I am very familiar with this triumvirate.
I haven't seem em 90 times but I've seen every tour since Moving Pictures.

All that aside......thanks for taking us along on your tank journey. I know it takes a lot of time and effort to appease us picture Lovers, but, we all truly appreciate it.

Keep on rockin on, man.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a Widower - I am now in my 6th year. I wish with all my heart that I could tell you that the pain of death goes away some, but I can't. Those who are here with me know this also. Yesterday, I had a total and complete fall. Looking back today, I realized that I have been holding that pain and sorrow in a tight ball that was held close to my broken heart, the two, beating together without anywhere to release. Today, I am exhausted and sad. I still want to scream and bring the heavens down. Even in my pain, I can believe some weird things such as if I cry and scream and beat my hands against the walls, someone up there somewhere has to hear me and do something right now. Nothing beyond it ever happens and I am still where I was when it started.

I have a picture that I see every day. Kelly and I waiting dead center front row for RUSH to open the Vapor Trails tour and I can’t believe the smiles on our faces, where has that happy guy disappeared to? I know I’m still here and at times still have those smiles. There was a sighting of that guy this past weekend, as I was once again on a plane chasing the sun I am listening to RUSH ‘The Garden’ I stare out the window admiring Gods handiwork as the sun slips slowly under the curvature of our earthy home, I’m flying cross country to the mountains of Calgary, Alberta Canada to meet one of my heroes Geddy Lee, such a joy filled weekend hiking to the top of Banff mountain sitting alone drinking my Starbucks gazing a Gods beautiful work. Looking at myself and wondering what will the next 20 years bring? And will RUSH ever perform again, hmmm.

It does not feel like the sixth year, no, it feels more like the first moment. I will never get over holding Kelly in my arms and having that last kiss as she took her last breath, it’s etched on my heart and soul and no amount of time will heal my broken heart that memory has caused. I want to touch Kelly one more time, to tell her how much I loved her and always would, no matter what. I wanted someone to bring her back to me but no one would, no one could. Tomorrow, it will seem like she has been gone a lifetime, my lifetime.

Silent grief is painful. I want to say things are getting easier but I think I’ve just gotten better at hiding the ever present tears just below the surface. The triggers are still there that make the tears fall, so I leave the room and go to my safe place to let the tears flow. At times they come just as hard as they did that day, it does not matter if it is one day or a hundred years, the loss will always be raw. I cover it up and get on with my life as best I can, or so it would seem to others. Sometimes, I am just going through the motions of living. I am continuing to learn to smile and laugh again, but the sadness stays, always just below the surface.

I try to live in the moment now. Each moment with those I love is very precious. They have no idea how much they mean to me. I tell them I love them, but it goes beyond that because I know great loss. To lose them would be to lose myself again, there would be no coming back from that. It is hard for many to understand what I’ve went through and what I am going through in my silent grief. I have to learn to walk again. It’s been the hardest thing in this life learning to live with this broken heart.

I need to remember, there is still love, joy and beauty in this world. It’s taken time, but little by little as I open myself to it, it is there. My silent grief is the badge I wear for our deep love we shared. Yeah, love hurts, without it, we are nothing. I will continue to carry my silent grief for as long as I have to. I know that it will be with me until my dying day, but I am learning how to live life again. In the end, nothing is ever so lost, that it cannot be found again, and no tears have ever been cried, that weren't worth the joy that came before.

You will be okay. I promise.

With all my love, remembering you today and every day, My Love I miss you dearly. – Forever a Husband

61131266_10219181712074335_8820926810876280832_o_zpsrqqfraxy.jpg

61771979_10219200183536110_2543700733312630784_o_zpsox2qbnwd.jpg

61427644_10219202250627786_7737979514751287296_o_zps5wavymoz.jpg

62157351_10219230615216883_2295402136990646272_o_zps4ombpcst.jpg

Last edited:

gump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was very beautifully written. Im sorry for your loss and continued pain.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back