OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wishing everyone a blessed Easter. I have decided on our names for the new additions. Naming the Gem Tang - "Monroe" after Marilyn Monroe because diamonds are a fishes best friend. I have two names chosen for the Achilles Tang we can either go with "Sanders" for Hall of Famer Barry Sanders and his days with Oklahoma State or "Moose" representing Mike Mussina for his days with the Baltimore Orioles and finishing his Hall of Fame career with the New York Yankees

20220417_140914.jpg
20220417_140827.jpg
20220417_140442.jpg

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you have water in the tank????

Looks completely clear ! ! !

Outstanding ! !

OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After fighting off a two-year battle with depression then finishing 2021 off with having a pipe break in the foundation of my home right before Christmas flooding part of it. I really felt like what else could go wrong?

I was ready to toss in the towel, take down the reef and sell the house. After talking to one of my friends, one of Kelly's closest she told me to use the opportunity to reimagine.

I'm so glad I listened, my house is finally back to the point where I'm comfortable, and I can't be happier with the way the refresh of the reef has gone.

I really feel like my real life mermaid is watching over me.

In the end, nothing is ever so lost, that cannot be found again, and no tears have ever been cried, that weren't worth the joy that came before.

Forever a Husband ❤️
20220430_142149.jpg

DSCN2066.jpg
DSCN2139.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After fighting off a two-year battle with depression then finishing 2021 off with having a pipe break in the foundation of my home right before Christmas flooding part of it. I really felt like what else could go wrong?

I was ready to toss in the towel, take down the reef and sell the house. After talking to one of my friends, one of Kelly's closest she told me to use the opportunity to reimagine.

I'm so glad I listened, my house is finally back to the point where I'm comfortable, and I can't be happier with the way the refresh of the reef has gone.

I really feel like my real life mermaid is watching over me.

In the end, nothing is ever so lost, that cannot be found again, and no tears have ever been cried, that weren't worth the joy that came before.

Forever a Husband ❤️
20220430_142149.jpg

DSCN2066.jpg
DSCN2139.jpg

What a beautiful soul and so happy to read how you are able to have joy again!

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first time removing the sun domes clear inside cover to inspect the tubes, after 11 years they are still looking great. I have new domes for the outside arriving soon.
20220226_155011.jpg
20220226_155055.jpg
20220226_155124.jpg
20220226_155126.jpg
20220226_155425.jpg
This setup is blowing my mind :astonished-face:. There is some serious science happening here and it makes me happy! Hope you're having a good day!

Sincerely,

B-Kind

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened to the moorish idol? It seems like you had him a few years. I have one in my 235, 6 months so far. Wondering what happened to yours so I can learn from it.

JachPot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wishing everyone a blessed Easter. I have decided on our names for the new additions. Naming the Gem Tang - "Monroe" after Marilyn Monroe because diamonds are a fishes best friend. I have two names chosen for the Achilles Tang we can either go with "Sanders" for Hall of Famer Barry Sanders and his days with Oklahoma State or "Moose" representing Mike Mussina for his days with the Baltimore Orioles and finishing his Hall of Fame career with the New York Yankees

20220417_140914.jpg
20220417_140827.jpg
20220417_140442.jpg
Might I suggest Billy after OU Sooners legend Billy Sims :p
Do you happen to be an OSU fan/alumni?

The tank looks great and you've done a great job on the refresh. I hope you continue to find peace and happiness on your journey. I'm sure you've been told it before, but you're a hero.

OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This setup is blowing my mind :astonished-face:. There is some serious science happening here and it makes me happy! Hope you're having a good day!

Sincerely,

B-Kind
Thanks so much, it was uncharted territory when I decided to build this system. I spoke to many of my friends in the hobby and so many of didn't think it would work this well. I just remember my wife after I presented the idea to her, her reply "Do it!"

OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened to the moorish idol? It seems like you had him a few years. I have one in my 235, 6 months so far. Wondering what happened to yours so I can learn from it.
I had the Moorish Idol for about 7 years, really not sure what happened to make him pass could have been old age could have been a point when my tank husbandry just wasn't there. I don't really remember that point in time. Just make sure you keep a real good variety of food for him and water parameters rock solid and I think you'll be very successful.

OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might I suggest Billy after OU Sooners legend Billy Sims :p
Do you happen to be an OSU fan/alumni?

The tank looks great and you've done a great job on the refresh. I hope you continue to find peace and happiness on your journey. I'm sure you've been told it before, but you're a hero.
Thanks so very much for your kind words.

Sadly the Achilles Tang didn't make it. After being introduced from quarantine I just couldn't get him to eat again.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the Moorish Idol for about 7 years, really not sure what happened to make him pass could have been old age could have been a point when my tank husbandry just wasn't there. I don't really remember that point in time. Just make sure you keep a real good variety of food for him and water parameters rock solid and I think you'll be very successful.
Wow that's the longest I've heard! He is the best fish I've ever owned including the best eater. All the posts about them dying for no reason after a year or 2 have me confused but also paranoid. Your 7 year mark makes me feel a little better. He gets fed 13 times a day and is fat like a pig.

OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now that I've entered the 21st century when it comes to lighting and electronics I think I've built a pretty nice color curve not changing the natural lighting too drastically.

In the first picture is the lighting curve with the Kessil a500x's running at 30% curve leaning more towards the 10-12K spectrum range with very little actinic added.

The second picture is full spectrum natural lighting picture taken at 1300 without any enhanced LED added.

What's everyone's thoughts on this color curve?

20220505_134616.jpg
20220430_132511.jpg

OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's the longest I've heard! He is the best fish I've ever owned including the best eater. All the posts about them dying for no reason after a year or 2 have me confused but also paranoid. Your 7 year mark makes me feel a little better. He gets fed 13 times a day and is fat like a pig.
I heard the same stories when I first added the Idol, it was one of my most enjoyable fish to watch. Of course we named him "Gill" from finding Nemo if I can locate another one I wouldn't mind adding one again someday.

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much, it was uncharted territory when I decided to build this system. I spoke to many of my friends in the hobby and so many of didn't think it would work this well. I just remember my wife after I presented the idea to her, her reply "Do it!"
A great support system makes the hobby a little easier, especially in the early days of the reef!

Later days,

B-Kind

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back