Our 400 Gallon In Wall Natural Sun-Lit Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse me! Whoo-hoo! Little fella? Hello! Don't be rude, say hi. H E L L O W H A L E! Maybe a different dialect? Dory, this is not whale. You're speaking, like, upset stomach. Maybe I should try Humpback.

20220807_101654.jpg
Look how big and beautiful she is! She looks so good in natural sunlight!!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who wants to see another happy fish?

This is 'Bridget' a White-tailed Kole Tang her favorite hobbies are grazing live rock and sunbathing under the natural sunlight!

20220807_114746.jpg
I’m jealous of the colours! NOTHING gets more natural than those colours in captivity, wonder if it would be possible to make lights have the exact same proportions of light as what your tank is getting

OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m jealous of the colours! NOTHING gets more natural than those colours in captivity, wonder if it would be possible to make lights have the exact same proportions of light as what your tank is getting
The direct intensity of the natural sunlight rays on the reef a remarkable, I think you would have to use a high intensity metal halide in order to try to replicate. Even then with the metal halide reflectors you would get more of a broad spread of light than direct sunlight rays.

That's what I love the most, while I enjoy the coral I've always been fascinated with the way the fish interact and shine under natural sunlight the fish are the main attraction.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what happens when you don't follow the posted safety instructions before entering our natural sunlit reef. Keep fins away from moving parts at all times.

Poor little guy.
20220807_131551.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Monday!
20220808_103707.jpg
20220808_103726.jpg
20220808_103739.jpg
It looks beautiful!
Have you tried to grow any SPS in there and are you currently trying to now?
If so then does it revert to a dull brownish colour or keep its more natural colours?

OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks beautiful!
Have you tried to grow any SPS in there and are you currently trying to now?
If so then does it revert to a dull brownish colour or keep its more natural colours?
I was growing SPS quite successfully in the beginning when my wife took ill most of it died off because I couldn't maintain the tank properly. I haven't tried since but I am thinking about diving into the SPS world again. Coloring is definitely muted.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was growing SPS quite successfully in the beginning when my wife took ill most of it died off because I couldn't maintain the tank properly. I haven't tried since but I am thinking about diving into the SPS world again. Coloring is definitely muted.
You totally should! It could make the tank look so nice and even more natural to go along with the huge colonies of Fimbriaphyllia.

OP
OP
jdpiii3

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You totally should! It could make the tank look so nice and even more natural to go along with the huge colonies of Fimbriaphyllia.
I'm getting there it's been baby steps since the refresh, it was only a few months ago I was contemplating taking the system down. I feel the system is definitely a lot more stable than it was just last year.

The Fimbriaphyllia grows crazy, that was one head just a few years ago.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting there it's been baby steps since the refresh, it was only a few months ago I was contemplating taking the system down. I feel the system is definitely a lot more stable than it was just last year.

The Fimbriaphyllia grows crazy, that was one head just a few years ago.
I wish I could get nice sized colonies in the time many other reefers get theirs. I mean I’ve seen some people with 2’ acropora colonies from 1” frags that only took… 3-4 years to grow!
My acros would probably take 3-4 years to even get 1’ across.

This hammer is I believe a year old (Will check in my build thread), I bought it at 2 heads and now I have I believe 7 heads if we include the ones splitting. I’m still trying to get it to show the full PE it used to show (Flow for this guy and several SPS is a pain to create).
image.jpg

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back