Our journey to breeding the Hawaiian Harlequin shrimp!

chad vossen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept a spawning pair of Hawaiian Harlequin shrimp in my office tank for a couple years now with the intention of rearing the babies. We have focused mostly on fish, so never really gave them a try. We feed one chocolate chip starfish every week to our pair to keep them well fed.

The Hawaiian Harlequin shrimp differs from other Harlequin shrimp by the purple spots and yellow background. In my opinion, the Hawaiian shrimp are the most beautiful of this species. They are also harder to find, and are considered quite rare in the hobby. Our goal is to change that and make them easily accessible to anyone that wants them.

I've yet to catch the shrimp molting, however I did get lucky once and observe the actual spawning process. The male mates with the female multiple times after she has molted. We've captured this on video, which may be the first time it's been documented.

When the eggs are ready to hatch, they begin to hydrate with water and increase in size. This makes the female look much larger than normal. This is when it's time to move the female into our larvae extraction device, which is connected to the Vossen's Larval Trap.

20170309_194129_zpsps6lwobz.jpg

This collection method was highly successful and we collected far more than expected. I estimate 1500 larval shrimp in this hatch, but it's anyone's guess. We transferred the entire batch to a larval tub with ease.

Our first larval run lasted for 6 days, and did very well till day 6. In the morning, they were all alive and doing well. I did a large harvest of copepods and baby brine shrimp to get them through the day, however when I came home from work 9 hours later, they were nearly all dead. We attribute this loss to over stocking the larval tank with food, causing an ammonia spike that resulted in a crash. This is a valuable lesson for us, and our next spawn will be split into multiple larval tanks to reduce the risk of loosing the entire batch. As of right now the female is holding eggs again, so we hope to update this post with progress and some baby shrimp pics!

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really cool. Good luck with these and please keep us updated.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anyone working on breeding chocolate chip starfish? Seems it would be a good practice to also rear the food needed to keep the shrimps alive.
Is the goal to get the young weened off a Starfish diet if possible?

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats an amazing write up and I cant wait to see how the next batch plays out for you :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love this!

OP
OP
chad vossen

chad vossen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anyone working on breeding chocolate chip starfish? Seems it would be a good practice to also rear the food needed to keep the shrimps alive.
Is the goal to get the young weened off a Starfish diet if possible?
I have seen some work with rearing chocolate chip starfish, however while the larvae survived for an extended period of time and grew, they failed to settle out and died. There's definitely some work to be done here, unfortunately culturing and growing out starfish would be pretty expensive to do. However there is some good news though. There appears to be some early success stories in getting captive bred harlequin shrimp onto a prepared diets. The ultimate test will be time and whether or not shrimp fed entirely on prepared foods will do well long term. There's exciting work being done on this.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great work Chad! Awesome to see you guys doing this work.

MicroPico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is good news. Congratulations on your experiments to help further captive breeding for these shrimp. I wish you great success.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates in this project Chad? Also, thanks for all the work you do in our hobby. I always like to follow what you have going on.

OP
OP
chad vossen

chad vossen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harlequin are taking a break right now. We are leaving for the Grand Canyon next week so we are waiting to fill the larval tanks till we get back. I'll update soon when we get another batch going. :)

OP
OP
chad vossen

chad vossen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We lost our female to a failed molt, so we are aggressively searching for a new female, and additional pairs before Hawaii is no longer available.

OP
OP
chad vossen

chad vossen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, we are working with Colin to secure some Hawaiian broodstock. :)

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please advise. I think the largest female is pregnant and I think the smaller female is not far behind

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back