Our Lighting comparison ATI t5 sunPower/Hydra 26 HD's

Who is using LED's? and Who is using T5's?

• Total voters

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little background for this comparison, @john.m.cole3 and I (@jsker) both have 72 gallon bowl front tanks. As we were chatting about our tanks we both discovered that we were running the same light as we both were looking to upgrade our lights. Our set up are about the same except for the chemicals we run in our tanks.

@john.m.cole3 and I were discussing the differences between T5’s and LED’s. I went with AI Hydra 26 HD’s and was trying to convince @john.m.cole3 to drink the juice and go with LED’s. @john.m.cole3 went with T5’s. We have struck a pretty good blogging friendship and we decided to do a simple comparison which I have not seen on the blogs by two average members.

I setup my Hydra 26 HD’s on March 3rd 2016 and used the Kessel move able goose necks for my lights. I want to be able to adjust the lights if I wanted to up or down or sideways if I want to. I also hung my light from the side instead of the back. I just do not run with the pack.

Our Plan is to post the first day pictures, one week, then every 30 days, also with settings, that we are using and what is going right or what is going on wrong.

Management Clause: @Tahoe61 made some great suggestions please read below

We would like positive feedback and knock off the hating between T5’s and LED’s. We would like to encourage ideas, sharing and objective discussion of both products.

Post Management Clause: Myself I would like to see how you installing your lights, post settings so that we can down load and try different settings, of program what we are doing now to improve. Yes every tank is different but this what is unique with @john.m.cole3 and my tank, we basically have the same tank setups.
If you would like to post you settings use google drive and use you handle and date as @theMerchant suggested. example xyzhaveaniceday_-_-_.api

John build thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-first-upgrade-72-bowfront.240558/page-2#post-2853570

My build thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-72-bowfront-build-revised-thread.216842/

Day one with the Hydra 26 HD's
IMG_3091.JPG

IMG_3093.JPG

Day 10 yeah, yeah this not rocket science
IMG_3178.JPG
I need to really start using a tripod to keep things steady, notice the color of the coral in the bottom right side.
IMG_3177.JPG

37 days, I set the light up last week and I have two arco's that bleached. I set the light back down. Also transitioned for HOB skimmer and filter to sump on 4/8/16, one of the acros starte bleaching before the sump switch. I think I turned up the light to fast

Last edited:

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright! It's finally here :) @jsker and I have been talking about this thread for some time now...

I got very frustrated with LEDs after using the Marine Orbits 36" strip on my 46 gallon tank with little success. When I saw @jsker was using the same light on the tank I was upgrading to (72 bowfront), we started discussing the need for an upgrade. At that point I think we were both pretty well decided on the type of lighting we were going to choose and we started talking about our tank differences and similarities.

I went with the 48" 6 bulb dimmable ATI fixture because I like to spend money on bulbs every year (j/k)... I actually chose this fixture from the videos BRS put out about different lighting choices and their pros and cons. They mentioned that the ATI Sunpower fixture was pretty much a plug and play light source that many of the reeferd that work over there had a lot of success with. I watched some videos by Tidal Gardens to come up with the bulb combination 2 x blue plus, 2x coral plus, 1x purple plus, and 1x actinic because I like a whiter looking tank.

Here are some pics in order but unsure of the dates they were taken

IMG_8667.JPG

IMG_8677.JPG

IMG_8682.JPG

IMG_8686.JPG

IMG_8693.JPG

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like for other folks chime in and post pics of their setups along with a brief description of your light settings or bulb choices. Let's focus on the positive and make this a fun one!

damon.strange.5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydra hd user here this is my current schedule. I can't upload the file because I use tapatalk on my phone and I don't have the file on my phone. Anyway it is called the "Lord Howe V2" not my work just using it from another site.
8d9b6652806a0ed9aa9621ea190bc2a9.jpg

damon.strange.5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the lights roughly a month and have been fiddling with settings since then and my tank is new so not much in there to show off. Couple high end zoas and a gonzo sunburst nem.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydra hd user here this is my current schedule. I can't upload the file because I use tapatalk on my phone and I don't have the file on my phone. Anyway it is called the "Lord Howe V2" not my work just using it from another site.
Thank you for the graphic.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will post up when I figure how to pull my files to my iPad, otherwise I will post the setting from the PC's in the morning:)

Sharkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice thread!

I just recently setup my Reefer 450. I'm running a Dimmable 6 Bulb 48" ATI Sunpower. Using ATI Bulbs 3 Blue Plus, 1 Coral plus, 2 True Actinic. Waiting for my other Purple plus to get here and I'll be swapping out a True Actinic bulb because its too blue for me. I looking for more of a white color. Sorry about the cell phone picture. I'll try to get a more balanced shot tomorrow.

I'll also be adding corals this week and will follow the thread.

Pic6.jpg

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might switch out one of my coral plus for a 3rd blue plus but not sure yet

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@Sabellafella see what you started with videos :D:rolleyes:
Tank looks good, sucks for me though as its almost impossible for me to get legit tonga branch without having to order it but cant wait to see this experiment. If i were to go with any led it would be the hydra hands down

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks good, sucks for me though as its almost impossible for me to get legit tonga branch without having to order it but cant wait to see this experiment. If i were to go with any led it would be the hydra hands down
That is actually real reef rock. Every once in a while I see a piece and get it. I would have really like to have had the option to get Tonga rock. Most of the rock I had in my last set up tank was Tonga. That was pretty much what the LFS had 20 years ago. I figure that I will grown my own sticks, if I do not kill everything first.
I have bleach to arcos out it one week, I turned the light back down.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might switch out one of my coral plus for a 3rd blue plus but not sure yet
I had the blues set at 59% and I think that is the reason for some bleaching. I will post setting tomorrow

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now things will be a bit more interesting. I'm switching from kalk in my ATO to dosing using Aquaforest products just like @jsker does. Now we will be chemically equal. Also, @jsker just added a sump. Now our systems are the same size, same filtration technique, and same chemicals. His system is 15 months old? And mine is a month old with a 14 month old tank transferred into it. That really makes our lighting choice our main difference. This is cool :)

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am excited to see how the tanks progress, with the different lights. I am happy I went on line with a sump, man the water looks great and clear. Now to work on the nitrates to really get the coral growth going.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might you both consider a Lux meter?(a real one not the app) Perhaps later rent/borrow a par meter......
I mean if your getting all sciencey :D

That is a great suggestion, the 20hr drive between use would be a little hard to share.
As someone outside looking in what would you be looking for from the readings?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.3%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 17.7%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 100 49.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back