Our Lighting comparison ATI t5 sunPower/Hydra 26 HD's

Who is using LED's? and Who is using T5's?

• Total voters
OP
OP
jsker

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good new is I have kept a anemone for more that two months, and it is coming back. Been feed every other day, and the anemone is pointed to were I can finally feed it with out have to contort my arm:rolleyes:
IMG_4140.JPG

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the light and bulbs. Brs sent 2 wrong bulbs, so sending me more. I know I have to burn them in, can I keep them on for the 50 hours straight.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the light and bulbs. Brs sent 2 wrong bulbs, so sending me more. I know I have to burn them in, can I keep them on for the 50 hours straight.
50 Hours is 50 hours:D

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through this entire thing to help me pick out my future lights, it's been fun following along with the progress on both of your tanks. Still not sure what I'm going to do yet though ;)

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through this entire thing to help me pick out my future lights, it's been fun following along with the progress on both of your tanks. Still not sure what I'm going to do yet though ;)

LoL Thank you. I am staying the course. I have had setups with the bulbs and I am really happy not having to have the heat and make a bulb change every 6 to 8 months, if that helps:rolleyes:

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LoL Thank you. I am staying the course. I have had setups with the bulbs and I am really happy not having to have the heat and make a bulb change every 6 to 8 months, if that helps:rolleyes:

It does indeed, I am in Florida and really trying to run an ultra energy efficient system, so LED's without having to run a chiller is a pretty big deal to me. Then I see some of those amazing t5 tanks running 8-10 lights and I'm just floored with the growth and color. @jsker your shots have been very inspiring!

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does indeed, I am in Florida and really trying to run an ultra energy efficient system, so LED's without having to run a chiller is a pretty big deal to me. Then I see some of those amazing t5 tanks running 8-10 lights and I'm just floored with the growth and color. @jsker your shots have been very inspiring!

Same here, I am in central Florida and did not want to add a chiller. If I were going to go back to T5's I would go with one of these bad boys. I saw one above a tank here on R2R and it looked great. I only have My hydra 26 hd's at 60% or I would start burning up fish and corals.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad we could be entertaining:)
Those geissman fixtures are incredible looking and perform amazing also. They have LED, T5, and combinations. I read this article recently http://reef2reef.com/ams/are-leds-a-suitable-primary-light-source.42/
@jsker 's tank is awesome and growing things so well I have a few of his corals in my tank now :)
Yours looks amazing too for the record - think I should probably state that after I reread my earlier post. :D:D:D:D It's just that I went into this leaning a little to the LED side per those same previous posts, but I'm happy I found this for a friendly place to see real results. I have been flopping back and fourth like crazy on this.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, we are glad to have you over here. Keep researching and please share any info you have that isn't covered over here. Friendly comparison was the foundation for our thread and I am glad others appreciate it!

and thanks for the compliment. Once I recover from my recent nutrient issues, I will have more pics and videos. My buddy just offered to bring over his dive camera to snap some shots:eek:

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours looks amazing too for the record - think I should probably state that after I reread my earlier post. :D:D:D:D It's just that I went into this leaning a little to the LED side per those same previous posts, but I'm happy I found this for a friendly place to see real results. I have been flopping back and fourth like crazy on this.

This has been a great thread to be involved in with @john.m.cole3 .

I see allot of reefer looking at the combo of LEDS and t5 and having great success. Please feel free to post what you decided on and your results.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my video from last week. You can see where the base of my big monti got burned from a kalk OD

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it me or do the fish like the Eagles? The tank look great @john.m.cole3 great video.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good before / after t5 /led tank is the red Sea max at Bioreef up the road from you. Those Hydras are bad to the bone. Of course t5s grew the tank out in the first place.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good before / after t5 /led tank is the red Sea max at Bioreef up the road from you. Those Hydras are bad to the bone. Of course t5s grew the tank out in the first place.
Is bioreef the one where Thomas on youtube got his reef savvy 90 from?

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
?? My current system has been all LED since setup?

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe he is using that tank as a reference. That tank started on t5s and has switched over to LED now

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back